UPS Allowing Full Time Hourly Employees to Purchase Gas - Avoiding Long Lines

local804

As of now, just sups and office people are allowed in our area(11/2- East Long Island). They might have to open it up to the employees if they need they man power to make it to work.

DorkHead

I don't think you are as cynical as I am (since you think the Teamsters are better than UPS for instance) but it only seems logical that UPS is doing this because it helps the company and it's employees.

The problem is not that there is a shortage of gas but that there is a shortage of electricity to power the gas pumps.

UPS always has good contingency plans and having generators at all operational facilities is a given.

This idea that that for something to be really good, it has to be done in a totally altruistic manner is silly.

What happened to self-engendered good being good for all?

That went out the window when UPS signed one of Grover Norquist`s pledges.:peaceful:

mike1646

When our last hurricane was announced we were issued fuel cards to fill up our trucks on outside pumps, after the hurricane when there was no fuel or electricity to pump it UPS allowed us to buy fuel from them and it wasn't a contract year. When things like this happen everybody wins, the company, the employees and the customers.

oldupsman

UPS is allowing full time hourly employees to purchase gas for their cars at below market rates to employees in NJ. This is a huge help as gas lines in NJ are extremely long with wait times of multiple hours. Pretty nice gesture from the company that will help a lot of people during this crisis.
Would be great if I was still working. Going into day 7 with no power. Lines over in Pa. haven't been near as bad as the Jersey coast.
I'm just glad I put in a generator hookup after last years October's storm. Gonna cost me about 500.00 in gas though before
this is all over.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Would be great if I was still working. Going into day 7 with no power. Lines over in Pa. haven't been near as bad as the Jersey coast.
I'm just glad I put in a generator hookup after last years October's storm. Gonna cost me about 500.00 in gas though before
this is all over.

Good move --- propane powered?

menotyou

bella amicizia
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but i stand by my belief that they wouldn't do this if they didn't get some type of benefit. I am happy that they are, as I want the people affected to have access to gas. But, having had the relationship I have had with UPS, I know how vile and evil they can be. Am I working tomorrow? No. Why? I was injured through no fault of my own. So, I am glad they created a feel good buzz and all, but I am very cynical when it comes to UPS.

worldwide

I was thinking wow how convenient with a contract vote coming up and all.

Yes, UPS engineered and created hurricane Sandy to wreck havoc with the gas supply so they could offer this option to employees to soften them up for the upcoming contract. Wait till they engineer and release the tornados and blizzards in a couple of months...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I am generally cynical when it comes to questioning the company's motives, but in this case it is quite clear that offering fuel to employees so that they have the ability to make it in to work is simply in everyone's best interests.

rod

Retired 22 years
Sounds like one of those win / win situations to me although the desk jockey who thought up this idea had better hope it plays out like they want it to otherwise you know who will be looking for a new job.