UPS; American Dream or evidence of the corrupt hearts of Americans today?

kingOFchester

The pot calling the kettle black.
pot.jpg
pot.jpg

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Being that I took my humor in fun I will answer his/her question.

I am part of the problem at UPS. I do not always make the best decisions based on Integrity. For the most part I do try to live my life at home and at work with a foundation of integrity. However, from time to time I make a conscious decisions that go against my gut and my foundation.
Example Its 10:29 and I am at the mall delivering my second to last air. I will scan 2nd package and lock it in the board so that it will not be 1-2 minutes late.

I have no excuse.
Okay, you just admitted to falsifying and lying about services rendered that were not rendered. When does this show you the door?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Who says I haven't !
I've worked in the same center for 18 years.
Made hardly no money, had no seniority, up at 330 am every morning, went to school or my part time job afterwards.
I did it because I saw the big picture !!

Fast forward to last year. Had the worst center manager ever. Loved the toxic environment he created and I was even suspended for 2 weeks !

We all deal with BS

It's how you handle it that defines you !!!!!!
Shame on the three people who liked this comment, because they cheat customers out of their service by sheeting packages prior to their delivery so they come up "on-time".

This is how you deal with bull**** and it's how you handle it that defines you!!!!

kingOFchester

Okay, you just admitted to falsifying and lying about services rendered that were not rendered. When does this show you the door?

Even though I was trained to scan package while walking towards my next stop?? Should I not follow one of the 340 methods? Would it be correct to ignore what I was trained to do? Seems as though either way I would be in violation of some method or another. It is in a mall. 1st package gets signed and delivered. Last NDA is scanned as I am walking towards customer. Would be pretty hard to fire me for this. Also, had I had a late NDA, I would be called into the office and written up for late air and maybe even not following the methods of scanning package on my way to final air. I was trained to scan area looking for holes and trip hazards and scan while walking up to delivery location.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Even though I was trained to scan package while walking towards my next stop?? Should I not follow the methods that I was trained to do? Seems as though either way I would be in violation of some method or another. It is in a mall. 1st package gets signed and delivered. Last NDA is scanned as I am walking towards customer. Would be pretty hard to fire me for this. Also, had I had a late NDA, I would be called into the office and written up for late air and maybe even not following the methods of scanning package on my way to final air. I was trained to scan area looking for holes and trip hazards and scan while walking up to delivery location.

There is nothing wrong with the scenario that you described.

There is something wrong when you scan a NDA at 1029 but are nowhere near the stop. Yes, the air will show as being delivered on time, but is the customer really getting what they paid for?

kingOFchester

There is nothing wrong with the scenario that you described.

There is something wrong when you scan a NDA at 1029 but are nowhere near the stop. Yes, the air will show as being delivered on time, but is the customer really getting what they paid for?

Again, this is in a MALL. I am walking towards the next stop. I am following the methods. I am not getting in truck and driving to another stop. I am walking towards my next delivery point. I am following the methods.

I do NOT scan a package and then drive to final NDA delivery.

340 METHODS. SECTION 6, PARAGRAPH 2, PART G:
"record the package information by scanning the package on the way to the delivery point when it is safe to do so"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Again, this is in a MALL. I am walking towards the next stop. I am following the methods. I am not getting in truck and driving to another stop. I am walking towards my next delivery point. I am following the methods.

...which is why I said "there is nothing wrong with the scenario that you described"...

S

serenity now

340 METHODS. SECTION 6, PARAGRAPH 2, PART G:
"record the package information by scanning the package on the way to the delivery point when it is safe to do so"

i understand your reasoning, but will the pkg. be at the delivery point between 1030 and 1031?

kingOFchester

...which is why I said "there is nothing wrong with the scenario that you described"...

But you added the following irrelevant statement and question that implies that I am not providing the service that customers pay for. "There is something wrong when you scan a NDA at 1029 but are nowhere near the stop. Yes, the air will show as being delivered on time, but is the customer really getting what they paid for?"

S

serenity now

the package is not late if delivered while the digital clock still shows 1030

kingOFchester

i understand your reasoning, but will the pkg. be at the delivery point between 1030 and 1031?

Yes as you can see from my post
me said:
10:29 and I am at the mall delivering my second to last air. I will scan 2nd package and lock it in the board so that it will not be 1-2 minutes late
If I scan at 10:30 it would be 1 minute late. If I scan at 10:31 it will be 2 minutes late. So yes it would be at the delivery point by 10:31.

However, does it matter when it will get there if I am following the methods? Are some of us now advocating to not follow the methods and have a NDA late? I do not know about you, but why would I want to expose myself to discipline for two infractions. 1) having a late air. 2) not following the written 340 methods. And yes, in my center drivers are constantly getting warning letters for late NDA. Some are fought, some not. I can pretty much guarantee that I would be disciplined for either the late NDA or not following the methods. Which ever the center manager believes would be easier to stick.

kingOFchester

the package is not late if delivered while the digital clock still shows 1030

I have had late air that was scanned at 10:30 according to the DIAD clock.

Again, it does not matter what time I get to the delivery point. All that matters is that I am following the methods. I do not get paid to make decisions as to when is the best time to scan a package. UPS has made it clear that we are just drones. They dictate every step we do. I am following the methods. Please tell me why I should not follow the methods and how breaking the methods would keep my ass out of the office?

Most important thing I have learned is to work as directed, follow the methods. That is what I am paid to do. I am not paid to think about when I should scan the package. And to guess when is an appropriate time.

It is disheartening, at best, to see fellow brothers so quick to jump down a teamster throat for following the methods and direction of our employer. We are paid to follow the contract and methods. Perhaps this is why my union hall is so empty on meeting days.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

But you added the following irrelevant statement and question that implies that I am not providing the service that customers pay for. "There is something wrong when you scan a NDA at 1029 but are nowhere near the stop. Yes, the air will show as being delivered on time, but is the customer really getting what they paid for?"

I should have clarified that by saying that they were two completely different statements. I was referring to those drivers who scan a NDA at 1029 to make sure it is in the board and then deliver it at 1040. Yes, it will show as being delivered on time, but is the customer really getting what they paid for?

S

serenity now

Yes as you can see from my post
If I scan at 10:30 it would be 1 minute late. If I scan at 10:31 it will be 2 minutes late. So yes it would be at the delivery point by 10:31.

However, does it matter when it will get there if I am following the methods? Are some of us now advocating to not follow the methods and have a NDA late? I do not know about you, but why would I want to expose myself to discipline for two infractions. 1) having a late air. 2) not following the written 340 methods. And yes, in my center drivers are constantly getting warning letters for late NDA. Some are fought, some not. I can pretty much guarantee that I would be disciplined for either the late NDA or not following the methods. Which ever the center manager believes would be easier to stick.

wrong * a 1030 scan is delivered on time * that's why i mentioned between 1030 and 1031 on a digital clock * i didn't know this for a long time * try it

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

wrong * a 1030 scan is delivered on time * that's why i mentioned between 1030 and 1031 on a digital clock * i didn't know this for a long time * try it

Technically the minute is broken down in to two 30 second blocks---if you complete the stop within the first block of the 1030 minute it will be on time. It will show as late if you complete the stop within the second block.

KOC, you are well within the methods in your mall scenario.

S

serenity now

Technically the minute is broken down in to two 30 second blocks---if you complete the stop within the first block of the 1030 minute it will be on time. It will show as late if you complete the stop within the second block.

KOC, you are well within the methods in your mall scenario.

never heard of the 30 sec. block rule before * the stop complete does not matter; the scan is what locks in the time *
that's how a driver can scan now and deliver across town 10 minutes later

S

serenity now

NDA commit here is 1200, super rural * i can scan before 1201 and pkg will not be late

kingOFchester

Why are we arguing about time? It doesn't matter. Even if I am on the opposite side of the mall and have a 5 minute walk to the other end on another floor, it doesn't matter. I am contracted to follow the 340 methods and work as directed. What part of that doesn't make sense?

S

serenity now

Why are we arguing about time? It doesn't matter. Even if I am on the opposite side of the mall and have a 5 minute walk to the other end on another floor, it doesn't matter. I am contracted to follow the 340 methods and work as directed. What part of that doesn't make sense?

the shipper has paid to have that pkg. at the delivery point at 1030 hours * nothing there to argue about