UPS; American Dream or evidence of the corrupt hearts of Americans today?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Jackburton,

If that's the way you see it. You have that right.

You still have contributed nothing to the actual topic of this discussion.

Sincerely,
I
That's interesting considering that more than 3/4 this thread is off topic. So I'd say the topic of this thread is off topic related so in reality it's all on topic then?

QKRSTKR

Why? There is nothing wrong with what you are doing.

I agree he s not doing anything wrong. He seems to know the methods well. I don't think a warning letter or any other discipline would hold up. My question in a hypothetical way is: You scan a nda at 1028 and deliver it to store front at 1032, person receiving package says to you " this is late, it's after 1030" what do you say to them? ( I scanned it at 1028 so really it's not late even though I walked into your store after 1030).

My position if I was the person paying for the shipping, especially if I'm sitting there waiting for it would be that it's late. Period.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree he s not doing anything wrong. He seems to know the methods well. I don't think a warning letter or any other discipline would hold up. My question in a hypothetical way is: You scan a nda at 1028 and deliver it to store front at 1032, person receiving package says to you " this is late, it's after 1030" what do you say to them? ( I scanned it at 1028 so really it's not late even though I walked into your store after 1030).

My position if I was the person paying for the shipping, especially if I'm sitting there waiting for it would be that it's late. Period.

You are 100% right and would be entitled to a refund.

99% of consignees wouldn't care whether it was delivered at 1029 or 1031.

It is the 1% who would be standing by the door looking at their watches with UPS on speed dial.

S

serenity now

that's the point i was trying to get across earlier * I don't care when you scan it; i don't care when you stop complete * BUT, the pkg. should be at the delivery point at or before commit time ( in this case 1030 ) * if you are hiding behind proper methods to try and justify a late or improperly recorded air, that is a very fine hair to split * again though, if you are OK with that and your mgmt. team is OK with that, then it means nothing to me * the shipper has contracted to have the pkg. there by 1030, not 1031 or 1032

kingOFchester

I would not acknowledge nor deny that the NDA is late. I do not want to get into a debate with a customer if I were to say something along the lines "My board says it is not late" . I also don't want to say "yes, it is late" and then have UPS turn around and tell the customer it wasn't and as a result make me look like a shmuck. I try to be the friendly UPS man.

I would say something like "Yea, seems a bit weird as my board didn't prompt me saying your package was late. I am unable to offer a refund, but here is the number you should call. I will also let my manager know you have a concern over the delivery time". I would then message center giving them a heads up. Upon my return to the building I would inform my sup and most likely my center manager the issue I had out on road. I would give them the full story and explain how I scanned the NDA air on the way to the delivery point per the methods. Upon completion of the conversation with management team, I would clock out.

S

serenity now

I would not acknowledge nor deny that the NDA is late. I do not want to get into a debate with a customer if I were to say something along the lines "My board says it is not late" . I also don't want to say "yes, it is late" and then have UPS turn around and tell the customer it wasn't and as a result make me look like a shmuck. I try to be the friendly UPS man.

I would say something like "Yea, seems a bit weird as my board didn't prompt me saying your package was late. I am unable to offer a refund, but here is the number you should call. I will also let my manager know you have a concern over the delivery time". I would then message center giving them a heads up. Upon my return to the building I would inform my sup and most likely my center manager the issue I had out on road. I would give them the full story and explain how I scanned the NDA air on the way to the delivery point per the methods. Upon completion of the conversation with management team, I would clock out.

i am truly not being sarcastic here / you could avoid all that drama by just having the last NDA at the delivery location at or before 1030 * can we at least agree on that?

kingOFchester

i am truly not being sarcastic here / you could avoid all that drama by just having the last NDA at the delivery location at or before 1030 * can we at least agree on that?

I sense you are not trying to be a smart ass. However this is a mall trip. 4 office buildings, 3 condo buildings, small neighborhood and then mall. 20-25 NDA's On area 9:30ish. Running straight airs the day in question and most days, gets you in the mall at about 10:15. This is parking out front and making the deliveries of the mall air's. Once NDA's are done, then move the truck to the upper dock to deal with the grounds. So, no there was no way to get air's off on time. I have had airs late while covering this mall and I am sure I will have air's late again.

I know I posted a lot in this thread, but I did state that if there is ANY chance I am going to have late air's I will not deliver any grounds. That is the first question asked when you have a late air. "Did you deliver grounds?" If you answer yes, you will be given a warning letter or your next step in the disciplinary action.

S

serenity now

I sense you are not trying to be a smart ass. However this is a mall trip. 4 office buildings, 3 condo buildings, small neighborhood and then mall. 20-25 NDA's On area 9:30ish. Running straight airs the day in question and most days, gets you in the mall at about 10:15. This is parking out front and making the deliveries of the air malls. Once NDA's are done, then move the truck to the upper dock to deal with the grounds. So, no there was no way to get air's off on time. I have had airs late while covering this mall and I am sure I will have air's late again.

if there is no way to get all the air off on time, working nothing but air, then that's not your problem; it's management's problem * sounds like they have set you up to fail * still was a good discussion though

kingOFchester

if there is no way to get all the air off on time, working nothing but air, then that's not your problem; it's managements problem * sounds like they have set you up to fail * still was a good discussion though
NO DOUBT!!!
Actually, not to defend management, but drivers (not going to state whether bid or covers or both) knows what stores don't open before 10. As soon as the driver is on area he/she/they (whatever the case may be) will park in the mall parking lot, shut off truck, sheet the NDA's as closed, then drive to office building and deliver the entire building - ground and airs. Deliver the condo's and some times the neighborhood. Then get to the mall around 11. It saves the driver probably about an hour off of their day, if not more. So, all the management see's is a trip that can easily handle the NDA volume. We are a bonus center, so when that driver clocks out early they get paid about the same as i do getting done 1-2 hours later.

This is one of the flaws of a bonus center. I have learned so much from BC, its members, the stewards here and older drivers in my center. I really try to do everything by the book to avoid the hassles of warning letters, talk with's, lectures and all that BS.

Got a better question. What if when you first went driving were trained to do something that isn't quite right. Then a year later on your S&V you were told again to do it the way you were trained. Do you continue to do it as trained and as told during the S&V, or do you do it the correct way?

Last edited:
S

serenity now

NO DOUBT!!! Actually, not to defend management, but drivers (not going to state whether bid or covers or both) knows what stores don't open before 10. As soon as he is on area he will park in the mall parking lot, shut off truck, sheet the NDA's as closed, then drive to office building and deliver the entire building - ground and airs. Deliver the condo's and some times the neighborhood. Then get to the mall around 11. It saves him probably about an hour off of his day, if not more. So, all the management see's is a trip that can easily handle the NDA volume. We are a bonus center, so when he clocks out early he gets paid about the same as i do getting done 1-2 hours later.

This is one of the flaws of a bonus center. I have learned so much from BC, its members, the stewards here and older drivers in my center. I really try to do everything by the book to avoid the hassles of warning letters, talk with's, lectures and all that BS.

omg / there is so much wrong with that, i wouldn't know where to begin, so i will just leave it alone

kingOFchester

Got a better question. What if when you first went driving were trained to do something that isn't quite right. Then a year later on your S&V you were told again to do it the way you were trained. Do you continue to do it as trained and as told during the S&V, or do you do it the correct way?