UPS and Oil

JustTired

free at last.......
If you think the price of gas is high.... Look at these prices per gallon!!!
This is based on the price the item sells for and converted to a price per gallon.

Gatorade .........$10.17
Evian Water......$21.19 - Evian spelled backwards is Naive!!!
Brake Fluid ......$33.60
Nyquil............$178.13

Ever wonder why printers are so cheap? You have to pay for the printer ink!
Printer Ink is ...$5200.00 a gallon !!!!

That's always good reading, but none of that stuff will get you to work and back and generally you're not buying 10-20 gallons at a time. Matter of fact you can live without any of the above (although if you own a car you might need a little brake fluid now and then).

rocket man

When ups started gas was im gonna guess 10 cents a gallon. Then it progressed. only the strong will survive ups is strong.Look at fedx, we go to some stops 3 Times a day. so dose fed x. Where we have one sur charge fedx may have 3.It will be a ajustment period ups has always ajusted we will be ok.everyone stay strong and united.

satellitedriver

When ups started gas was im gonna guess 10 cents a gallon. Then it progressed. only the strong will survive ups is strong.Look at fedx, we go to some stops 3 Times a day. so dose fed x. Where we have one sur charge fedx may have 3.It will be a ajustment period ups has always ajusted we will be ok.everyone stay strong and united.
A quick cut and paste.
A little dated on present gas prices, but the info is correct.
In 1930 my father earned $1.00 a day.
You do the math.

"How about the 1950s? After all, we never heard Ward Cleaver complaining to June about the price of gas. Once again, with the exception of 1952 ($1.98), the inflation-adjusted price was more than $2 per gallon for the entire decade, with an average price of $2.07 a gallon and a peak price in 1956 and 1957 of $2.15 a gallon.

Going back to the Depression years of the 1930s, gas prices, in real terms, were generally higher than they are today. The average inflation-adjusted price of gasoline in the 1930s was a whopping $2.62 per gallon. Prices reached peaks of $2.76 per gallon in 1934 and again in 1937. These were the prices that those who were written about in the Grapes of Wrath paid as they made their way from the dust bowl of Oklahoma to California.

If we go back even further to the early days of the automobile we find that the real price of gasoline was higher still. In 1918, for example, the per-gallon price was $3.22 and in 1922 the price was $2.90.

The fact is that Americans did not begin to pay less than $2 a gallon on a regular basis until 1963. Since then, there have been several price spikes, which have sent prices souring to well above the $2 mark. The post-World War II record was set in 1981 when the inflation-adjusted price was $2.80 a gallon.

This doesn't mean that today's gas prices aren't high. They are. Clearly these higher prices are causing people to reconsider travel plans and to find ways to reprioritize their household budgets. But the prices we are paying today are not unprecedented. There have been times in our history when they have been significantly higher and for much longer periods than we have experienced thus far."

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I remember when gas hit a buck a gallon in the late 70's. Remember the gas pumps were only 2 digits so the price at the pump was a half gallon. I was making 2.65 an hour working at a bowling center so a buck seemed high. I make 10 times as much and gas is 3.5 times as much. As I do battle with Friday retail/lunch hour traffic today I will see no evidence that people are cutting back on their driving.

In 1968 I worked for a local gas station chain, I worked a different station each day to give the operators a day off. During that time I pumped many a gallon of gas for 19 cents per. Gas wars were going on all the time, one day it would be 25, the next 19. The actual regular price was about 29-30 cents.

Brownmonster, I'd be willing to bet that the job at the bowling center is now paying a whopping 6 bucks an hour, maybe.

UPS Lifer

In 1968 I worked for a local gas station chain, I worked a different station each day to give the operators a day off. During that time I pumped many a gallon of gas for 19 cents per. Gas wars were going on all the time, one day it would be 25, the next 19. The actual regular price was about 29-30 cents.

I remember those gas wars! Shell gave away glasses with the purchase and someone actually checked your oil and washed your windshield!

I had a '69 396 SS Camaro that had twin feed 850 cfm Holleys. It got 6 mpg!
One month I put $80 on the credit card and I thought my parents were going to take the car away! Now I put $80 in every time I fill the tank!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
i think on line sales will go up,even with the fuel prices,its easier for the wife to click than to load up the mini van or suv with the kids drive to mall spend more than she wanted then off to mickey d's or b.k to feed them all!!! we had big increase of catalog shoppers and qvc blossomed in last recession before the inernet that Al Gore invented, we made a killing ups made it through the great depression and ww 2 they will get through this also !!!!!

rod

Retired 22 years
I remember those gas wars! Shell gave away glasses with the purchase and someone actually checked your oil and washed your windshield!

One month I put $80 on the credit card and I thought my parents were going to take the car away! Now I put $80 in every time I fill the tank!

You had a 69 396SS Camaro and a credit card? You my friend lived a shelterd life in your youth:happy2: I had a 54 chevy and a siphon hose to get tractor gas.:happy-very:

UPS Lifer

You had a 69 396SS Camaro and a credit card? You my friend lived a shelterd life in your youth:happy2: I had a 54 chevy and a siphon hose to get tractor gas.:happy-very:

Here is the real kicker.... I charged my buddies for gas. They didn't care and I made some pocket change! I am not proud of it but I do look back and laugh about it.

I did have a job and I paid for the car myself. But I sure could not have afforded the gas back then .... at least not $80 a month!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Brownmonster, I'd be willing to bet that the job at the bowling center is now paying a whopping 6 bucks an hour, maybe.

Only if you are the manager.

satellitedriver

Loved the gas wars.
At 19 cents I couldn't cram $2.00 of gas in my 63 VW. (35 mpg)
I only made $1.60 an hour, but I could drive from Houston to New Orleans,to see my girl friend, on one tank of gas.
I should have saved the glasses and the Dino the dinasaur stuffed toy's they use to "give" away. Ebay money
Remember the tiger tails Exxon use to give away to hang on your gas cap?
(Tiger in the tank)
Gas war now has a different connotation.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
What UPS needs to do is adopt a computerized dispatch system that maximizes effeciency and saves fuel. Then actually implement it correctly.

That means going back to leaving it to the drivers who actually know how to do it the most efficiently........thus.....it will never happen. IE would have a fit!

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I just hope we don't go through the gas embargo of the 70's! How many of you remember waking up early (me 4 am) to get in line for gas? And remember the odd-even system depending on your license plate?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I just hope we don't go through the gas embargo of the 70's! How many of you remember waking up early (me 4 am) to get in line for gas? And remember the odd-even system depending on your license plate?
It wouldnt bother me. I drive an '06 VW Jetta diesel that gets 40 MPG. I use locally-produced biodiesel in it that is made from recycled cooking oil. In the winter, I blend this fuel with regular petroleum diesel. I have a "stash" of 60 gallons of diesel that I have set aside for emergencies, so I could go a couple of months without requiring a trip to the gas station. In a pinch I could also use kerosene or jet fuel, available at the local airport.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It wouldnt bother me. I drive an '06 VW Jetta diesel that gets 40 MPG. I use locally-produced biodiesel in it that is made from recycled cooking oil. In the winter, I blend this fuel with regular petroleum diesel. I have a "stash" of 60 gallons of diesel that I have set aside for emergencies, so I could go a couple of months without requiring a trip to the gas station. In a pinch I could also use kerosene or jet fuel, available at the local airport.

sober, did the vw come like that from the factory, or did you have to buy some kind of conversion kit? can you tell me more about the biodiesel??

soberups

sober, did the vw come like that from the factory, or did you have to buy some kind of conversion kit? can you tell me more about the biodiesel??
Any diesel car can use biodiesel. No conversion kit required. Pre-96 cars may need to have fuel lines upgraded to Viton. My car is stock and unmodified. I buy my biodiesel at a local Shell station that contracts with the manufacturer to sell it.It can also be made at home but I choose not to.
Biodiesel and vegetable oil/grease are not the same thing. Biodiesel is made from vegetable oil, but is has been "transetesterified" and had the glycerin removed. It is a direct substitute for diesel fuel. It can be mixed or blended with petroleum diesel in any percentage. It is necessary to do this in the winter, because biodiesel has a higher gel point than petroleum and will get cloudy and gooey in freezing temps. In the winter I run a 50/50 blend, in the summer I run straight biodiesel. I wish UPS would "go green" with its fleet, we could be running a B20 (20% biodiesel 80% petroleum) blend in all of our equipment with no warranty issues at all.
If you want to run vegetable oil in your diesel car it can be done but you need to install a second fuel tank with a heater. Veggie oil is too thick to run as fuel without being preheated. The normal method is to start the car on petroleum diesel and run it until the vegetable oil tank is up to about 190 degrees, then you switch over to the veggie oil. About 5 minutes before stopping the car you ned to purge the fuel lines or the veggie oil will thicken as it cools and clog them. This is a popular modification to do on old Mercedes and VW's, but it isnt really that easy to do with the more modern, electronically contolled models like mine.

soberups

The current fad is to bash biofuels by blaming them for higher food prices. To some extent this is true, but the problem lies with the crops being used. Soy and corn are very inefficient methods of producing biodiesel and ethanol in terms of gallons per acre.
The future is in biofuels produced from algae. Yes algae, the green slime that grows in your swimming pool. There are strains of algae that are thousands of times more efficient at converting sunlight into liquid fuel than corn or soybeans. Algae ponds can use brackish water and dont compete with food crops for arable land. It is simply a matter of economics---right now it is still cheaper to drill for oil than to grow it.
Im glad fuel is getting expensive. Its about time that we in America were forced to come to terms with our addiction to imported oil. I have no sympathy for someone spends $25k on an SUV that gets 10 MPG and then complains about how much it costs to fuel it.

soberups

Wow.....Are you well prepared or what!
Oh yes. In addition to my 60 gallons of diesel, I have over 100 gallons of gasoline set aside for my van, generator and chainsaw. I keep a minimum of 3 cords of wood split and ready to go for my woodstove. We stock up on canned goods and bottled water when they go on sale. If there is any sort of crisis or natural disaster, I'm good to go for several weeks or even months. And if the zombies invade and try to take it all away from me... they will find out the hard way that I have also stocked up on several thousand of rounds of ammunition. I dont want to count on "the government" to take care of me or my family in a crisis, such as Katrina.

Leftinbuilding

Garfield on the oil crisis

A lot of folks can't understand how we came
to have an oil shortage here in our country.
~~~
Well, there's a very simple answer.
~~~
Nobody bothered to check the oil.
~~~
We just didn't know we were getting low.
~~~
The reason for that is purely geographical.
~~~
Our OIL is located in
~~~
ALASKA
~~~
California
~~~
Coastal Florida
~~~
Coastal Louisiana
~~~
Kansas