UPS AVOIDS DRIVING 63.5 MILLION MILES IN 2010...due to conservation and technology?!!

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Re: UPS AVOIDS DRIVING 63.5 MILLION MILES IN 2010...due to conservation and technolog

UPS has about 1.2 million regular pickup customers (I think)About 8 milion delivery customers daily.There are people whose job it is to survey those customers to find out their issues and needs.Major concerns as I recall:DamagesEase of useCostBTW, they continue to say that they love their drivers.While I appreciate your opinion, I will listen to those that talk with the larger population.This thread was about UPS reducing (avoiding) miles. That portion of the story is still true.
Again, my facts come only from real life, not a report, a survey or questionnaire submitted online. I also appreciate your insight.

tourists24

Re: UPS AVOIDS DRIVING 63.5 MILLION MILES IN 2010...due to conservation and technolog

Amen to that. When all that is looked at is the reports then there will never be a true representation of what is real

satellitedriver

Yes....

I think its a semantic thing....

Year to year, month to month, day to day, there are different amount of packages, stops and density.

You look at at last year and say, "If we did nothing how many miles would we have driven?"

That's hard to do. Often I use Stops per Mile for this.

If stops per mile go up, then had nothing changed, we have reduced miles?

There is no 100% accurate way to do this that I know of.

Assume that 20 drivers each drive 100 miles per day historically. Now if through many means (including over dispatching) we put the same number of stops into 19 drivers.

Even each of the 19 drivers added 3 or 4 miles, the center as a whole is down. Therfore, stops per mile are up....

So, reduced and avoided are really the same thing. I guess unless you could go back in time and run the same day again, avoided is the proper word.
Semantics.
I can only address my personal knowledge and experience.
When my satellite route was established 16yrs ago it was for one reason.
Reducing miles deadheading a pkg car down to the delivery area.
I was able to cut at least 100 miles per day off the route for the last 13yrs.

Now, with the SPC metric and the ADD/CUTS my miles have increased at least 50 miles per day and I work at least 1and1/2hrs "extra" O.T. over and above my normal O.T..
At least 2 to 3 time a week, they send a part-timer down from the center to take 15 to 20 stops off of me so that I do not work over 11 hrs. Add their 100 miles to my extra miles and you get the picture of a bad plan.
Often, these part-timers are delivering under car wash code.
How these miles/hrs are falsified is none of my damn business.
Semantics are the words used by a center to justify the numbers that our DM demands to see.-( read as reported)-.
I equally blame the union and corporate to allow this "juggling" of numbers.

If I ran my personal finances on just averages-(as is the case within UPS)-, my net worth would be much lower.
Three, of the many, wisdom's my father taught me;

Never play another man's game. -(do what you know how to do and do it well)-

The whole is never greater that the sum of it's parts.-( if one part of equation is false, so is the results)-
Watch your nickles and dimes, the dollars take care of themselves.-( focus on the little things that really effect the desired outcome)-

They can't say saved. That would be ammo that could be used later against them. They avoided putting those miles on trucks driven by union employees, only. That doesn't include sups, OMS, sales or their grandmother for all I know shuttling, delivering, picking up, ect., ect., ect.

OMG,so thats why I saw that grandma lugging that hummidifier,,,management should be ashamed of themselves ;)