UPS Background Check

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I asked the question because even though i am always honest i havent needed a background check since right after this happened. Being that its been. Over years i was hoping someone on here was gonna be nice enough to answer me honestly about how they do things ,,, guess i shouldve known better.. and for all you being jerks about it i am sure you are perfect and never made mistakes in your life at any point

I'll give you your answer: UPS uses a variety of vendors who offer a wide breadth of background check reports. Whether your drug convention appears on your report will depend on whether it was a felony and/or the breadth of report the vendor provided.

HOWEVER... it doesn't really matter. A 10-year-old felony isn't an automatic disqualification from consideration of the job. Many HR managers will hire felons, depending on the circumstances and/or local policy. It's important to note that the Fair Credit Reporting Act requires employers to disclose to you if you were turned down from the job due to negative information contained within your b/g check. While many employers will dance around this, claiming you weren't hired for other reasons, UPS is generally fair in disclosing this.

Keep in mind that many UPS facilities are hiring for the holiday stretch, so it may be a few weeks before you're offered employment.

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
If you were honest to HR and don't have anything recent then you might be alright. BUT, I've heard so many diff stories of people getting denied for a simple ticket and some people being hired with felonies.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
If you were honest to HR and don't have anything recent then you might be alright. BUT, I've heard so many diff stories of people getting denied for a simple ticket and some people being hired with felonies.

UPS is clear that a "simple ticket" automatically disqualifies you from applying to drive for one year.

A felony, OTOH, does not automatically disqualify you.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
UPS is clear that a "simple ticket" automatically disqualifies you from applying to drive for one year.

A felony, OTOH, does not automatically disqualify you.

I heard that HR was told from corporate to be more "strict" in the hiring of felonies and such from now on. My guy who applied for preload who also works on my route said they told him today that it was a new, strict policy. He also said HR said it had to do with homeland security rules now which is something I never heard before. He asked if it still applied to him since his was 20 plus years ago. They told him if it shows up anywhere on his record, they can no longer process the application.

Maybe Upstate can ask Atlanta on his next conference call with his center manager...

wetleg

From what I understand, it doesn't matter.

Actually Dave , he did say it was "dismissed " but that he was in the "process of getting it expunged ".

Big difference there.

TTKU

Background checks show being charged for an offense even if you were never convicted. It's a big flaw in the system.

rod

Retired 22 years
Apparently they didn't do very good background checks way back when I was hired. There were a couple of things that probably would have sent up a red flag had they bothered to check.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
I asked the question because even though i am always honest i havent needed a background check since right after this happened. Being that its been. Over years i was hoping someone on here was gonna be nice enough to answer me honestly about how they do things ,,, guess i shouldve known better.. and for all you being jerks about it i am sure you are perfect and never made mistakes in your life at any point

Here's some advice that works for any forum on the net, it helps to lurk on the forum first before joining. That way you know what goes on on that forum and you're not taken by surprise by anything that goes on there.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I heard that HR was told from corporate to be more "strict" in the hiring of felonies and such from now on. My guy who applied for preload who also works on my route said they told him today that it was a new, strict policy. He also said HR said it had to do with homeland security rules now which is something I never heard before. He asked if it still applied to him since his was 20 plus years ago. They told him if it shows up anywhere on his record, they can no longer process the application.

It's hard for me to tell if you're being serious, but let's be realistic: I work in an industrialized city in the Midwest - in other words, a place that's not a hotbed for jobs. Yet UPS cannot fill PT jobs. In the past couple years, UPS has hired a FT recruiter, began offering tuition reimbursement to hourly PTers & chartered a daily bus to connect my suburban facility with the urban transportation center. Yet... UPS cannot fill PT jobs. So would a 10-year-old felony drug conviction matter here? Absolutely not.

Reality is, the "job makers" have manipulated wags so much over the past 15 years so that tens of millions of jobs offer similar low wages with no added benefits. When UPS is offering $10/hour to get up at 3AM and work 3-hours per day whereas Walmart offers the same for flexible 8-hour shifts, guess who's gonna get the worker? FT recruiters, tuition reimbursement & daily chartered busses are enormously expensive & it'd be much cheaper to raise the stating pay... but Corporate America does these things because they hope they'll be temporary, whereas wages hikes are often permanent.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
It's hard for me to tell if you're being serious, but let's be realistic: I work in an industrialized city in the Midwest - in other words, a place that's not a hotbed for jobs. Yet UPS cannot fill PT jobs. In the past couple years, UPS has hired a FT recruiter, began offering tuition reimbursement to hourly PTers & chartered a daily bus to connect my suburban facility with the urban transportation center. Yet... UPS cannot fill PT jobs. So would a 10-year-old felony drug conviction matter here? Absolutely not.

Reality is, the "job makers" have manipulated wags so much over the past 15 years so that tens of millions of jobs offer similar low wages with no added benefits. When UPS is offering $10/hour to get up at 3AM and work 3-hours per day whereas Walmart offers the same for flexible 8-hour shifts, guess who's gonna get the worker? FT recruiters, tuition reimbursement & daily chartered busses are enormously expensive & it'd be much cheaper to raise the stating pay... but Corporate America does these things because they hope they'll be temporary, whereas wages hikes are often permanent.

That's just what the guy told me that HR told him. I'm not disagreeing with you, just conveying what he went through.

Honestly I don't know much about HR or UPS hiring practices in depth. It would require me to actually care more than the level of input I gave into this thread. Of which I really don't care what standard ups used to hire. Just from this thread, you can see it obviously varies by region.

The other subject you touched with wage equality and such is a WHOLE different subject for discussion.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
That's just what the guy told me that HR told him. I'm not disagreeing with you, just conveying what he went through.

Honestly I don't know much about HR or UPS hiring practices in depth. It would require me to actually care more than the level of input I gave into this thread. Of which I really don't care what standard ups used to hire. Just from this thread, you can see it obviously varies by region.

The other subject you touched with wage equality and such is a WHOLE different subject for discussion.

I didn't bring up wage equality -- I brought up fact: UPS's starting PT wage is now the exact same and sometimes even less than as tens of millions of others jobs, including those at Walmart, McDonald's, etc. Offering less than 20 hours per week with 3AM start times will handicap UPS, thus in areas of the country in which labor is competitive, UPS simply cannot be picky and thus looks the other way at 10-year-old felonies.

T

Turdferguson

I didn't bring up wage equality -- I brought up fact: UPS's starting PT wage is now the exact same and sometimes even less than as tens of millions of others jobs, including those at Walmart, McDonald's, etc. Offering less than 20 hours per week with 3AM start times will handicap UPS, thus in areas of the country in which labor is competitive, UPS simply cannot be picky and thus looks the other way at 10-year-old felonies.

Those jobs were never meant to raise a family on. They were meant for college students to do for awhile and then leave or go to full time.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
It ties into the whole wage equality debate. I'm not disagreeing with you so no need to impress me with a list of facts.

They might look the other way where you are but it varies region by region because here, you can not get hired with a felony on your record. It's happened more than a few times here that I know of.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
It ties into the whole wage equality debate. I'm not disagreeing with you so no need to impress me with a list of facts.

They might look the other way where you are but it varies region by region because here, you can not get hired with a felony on your record. It's happened more than a few times here that I know of.

I'm not trying to "impress you with facts" but am pointing out the reality that beggars can't be choosers. UPS has no policy against hiring felon, and oodles of testimonials here and elsewhere demonstrate that UPS does indeed hire felons on a national basis. No doubt it's case-by case and depend on the position one's apply for -- the bar is going to be much lower for PT inside than it is FT driving.

I acknowledge that it's possible that your current regional management may have decided that they will not hire felons, but OTOH, I think it's equally possible that felons do work PT shifts in your area and just keep their mouth shut about their past.

kkmom

It appears that UPS requested First Advantage to check 9/2008 to 10/2015 and they sent UPS records back to 1995. I feel like that was so wrong of them to do when the report clearly states they were to check that 7 yr period. I am also disappointed that HR didnt give me a chance to discuss any of it being that it was well before the period they requested

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I applied for a job last spring as a loader and didn't get it and I'm guessing it's because I have a charge(it was dismissed) of embezzlement from 27 years ago. And yes just being charged without a conviction shows up on background checks. I'm currently in the process of getting it expunged from my record.

I assumed because I had worked as a driver helper last Xmas that I would be hired for sure. And I'm probably gonna do it next month as well. I think the hiring restrictions are much less strict for seasonal workers.
27 years ago?? At your age ...how do you NOT already have a job??

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I applied for a job last spring as a loader and didn't get it and I'm guessing it's because I have a charge(it was dismissed) of embezzlement from 27 years ago. And yes just being charged without a conviction shows up on background checks. I'm currently in the process of getting it expunged from my record.

I assumed because I had worked as a driver helper last Xmas that I would be hired for sure. And I'm probably gonna do it next month as well. I think the hiring restrictions are much less strict for seasonal workers.
So how much did ya get away with?