UPS badge gets respect from cops

working up a sweat

I was heading into work tonight and passed a cop who stopped a UPS guy heading into the night sort. The cop said he passed a red light and said, "where you going". The UPS guy said I'm going to work. The UPS guy flashed his work badge. The cop let him off and said he was DUI duty. We had some good laughs in the parking lot with the others that passed him.

oldngray

nowhere special
"most" cops will be lenient towards UPS drivers but there are a few :censored2:s who seem to go out of their way to hassle them.

J

Jerry Gallo

I've gotten a couple of "thumbs down" from them as in slow the ---- down.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I've gotten a couple of "thumbs down" from them as in slow the ---- down.
I got one of those just the other day.
Reminds me of a story. Years ago in a town near here, the UPS driver was being hassled by one of the town policemen for double parking on main street. Finally, he was issued a ticket. Really there was no other way to approach the deliveries on the street.
When he went to court. The cop told his side of the story. UPS told his side of the story. The judge looked at the cop and told him to leave UPS alone.

barnyard

KTM rider
I was pulled over 15 years or so ago as I was leaving a boat landing. The cop said that I was doing 65 when he clocked me (in a 35.) I was floored. Where he 'caught' me, was about 150 yards from the boat landing driveway, pulling a 17 foot boat with a Jeep Cherokee (4.0 6 cylinder). There was no way I could have got going that fast in that short a distance. I was honestly flabbergasted. He asked for my license and saw my UPS ID. Asked which route I did and let me go.

That was the last time I was pulled over.

oldngray

nowhere special
I got one of those just the other day.
Reminds me of a story. Years ago in a town near here, the UPS driver was being hassled by one of the town policemen for double parking on main street. Finally, he was issued a ticket. Really there was no other way to approach the deliveries on the street.
When he went to court. The cop told his side of the story. UPS told his side of the story. The judge looked at the cop and told him to leave UPS alone.

My center used to have a cop downtown that had a grudge against UPS or something and went out of her way to write tickets. There is literally no place to legally park in that area and normal cops understand that the truck won't be there long and let it slide.

Johney

"most" cops will be lenient towards UPS drivers but there are a few :censored2:s who seem to go out of their way to hassle them.
I got a ticket from some :censored2: cop about ten years ago in a package car as this :censored2: says I was speeding which I wasn't. Luckily my helper was dating his supervisor,what are the odds of that happening.

Avalon

Avalon
About three years ago I got stopped by the police for speeding on my way to work when I was at FedEx .
​ The officer said his cousin works at Fedex and he let me go with a warning
ticket!

About six months ago I got stopped going to work at UPS in the same spot by the same officer. He tells
me his cousin works for UPS and he let me go with a warning ticket.

Either he is confused or his cousins really like working in the parcel industry.
Either way it works out for me every time!

BrownChoice

I got a ticket a few years back, was doing 49 in a 35, at 4:30AM, and didnt have my insurance card in the car. The cop was real nice, but still wrote me a ticket, which was in the 700$ ballpark. The same day i found my insurance card, called our Teamster lawyer and he requested a discovery on the case. Long story short, the lawyer subpoenaed the radar calibration technician, which was 4 hours away, to give a testimony on the radar gun. He never showed, DISMISSED. No insurance, DISMISSED. Fewer than 15 words were spoken. Best day in court, by far!

the funniest thing is, the same day i had court, i was on my way home and another cop pulled me over for defective equipment.(cracked front windshield and no muffler) it was a very attractive blonde female officer :-), i let her know i had actually just came from court. She got to asking how it went for me, i said both were dismissed thanks to our paid for union lawyer. She let me off. I got to askin why the cop who had given me the other tickets never wrote me up for the defective equipment. She didnt have a reason. :-)

i really wish i had gotten her number... I so woulda *********.... :-)))

i guess it ended up bein a long story after all!!! Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

stealth8

When I first started at UPS (33yrs ago)I had a rte in Baltimore city. We got parking tickets all the time, UPS just paid them. I got 5 parking tickets in one day, and 3 of them were from the same cop!

Marne Vet

Police officers are great. It's the jerkoff Parking Authority that I can't stand. I get out of my truck one morning running off an air, and walk past one of these clowns. I say "Good morning", and he says "Good morning" back. I go into the business, and as I'm getting a signature 5 seconds later, the customer says "I think you're getting a ticket", so I turn around and run back outside. There's the fat POS that said good morning to me writing me a parking ticket. I say "Are you serious?! Couldn't you have said 'good morning, if you leave your truck there I'll have to give you a ticket?" His response was "Why do you care? You don't pay them. Your company pays them." I was mad as Hell. I said "It's still a dick move regardless of who pays the ticket!" Just a few weeks ago on the same street, I parked at a meter and the meter actually had time still on it. The meter in front and behind me ALSO had time still on them. As I came out of a stop I see some lady writing me a ticket. I say "What the Hell are you doing?!" She says "Writing you a ticket for parking here." I said "There's time on every meter you idiot. You didn't even look did you?!" She was literally shocked, and had to rescind the ticket. I absolutely hate the Parking Authority. They're all a-holes.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Police officers are great. It's the jerkoff Parking Authority that I can't stand. I get out of my truck one morning running off an air, and walk past one of these clowns. I say "Good morning", and he says "Good morning" back. I go into the business, and as I'm getting a signature 5 seconds later, the customer says "I think you're getting a ticket", so I turn around and run back outside. There's the fat POS that said good morning to me writing me a parking ticket. I say "Are you serious?! Couldn't you have said 'good morning, if you leave your truck there I'll have to give you a ticket?" His response was "Why do you care? You don't pay them. Your company pays them." I was mad as Hell. I said "It's still a dick move regardless of who pays the ticket!" Just a few weeks ago on the same street, I parked at a meter and the meter actually had time still on it. The meter in front and behind me ALSO had time still on them. As I came out of a stop I see some lady writing me a ticket. I say "What the Hell are you doing?!" She says "Writing you a ticket for parking here." I said "There's time on every meter you idiot. You didn't even look did you?!" She was literally shocked, and had to rescind the ticket. I absolutely hate the Parking Authority. They're all a-holes.
They have metrics just as UPS does. It's life, lying and cheating. Gov't does it, UPS does it, nearly everyone.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I first started at UPS (33yrs ago)I had a rte in Baltimore city. We got parking tickets all the time, UPS just paid them. I got 5 parking tickets in one day, and 3 of them were from the same cop!

The company negotiates a deal with major cities to pay a flat fee rather than fight each individual parking ticket. I believe they pay NYC $2M/year.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Talk to me like that and I would also be shocked. The Parking Authority has a job to do and, yes, they have quotas.

My son and I went to Boston a few years ago. I parked on the street in front of the hotel we were staying at (Downtown Hotel) to go inside and register, which took less than 5 minutes, and walked back out to a $25 parking ticket on my windshield. Welcome to Boston! (Must have been the New York license plates) I paid the ticket online when I got back home.

Marne Vet

Talk to me like that and I would also be shocked. The Parking Authority has a job to do and, yes, they have quotas.

My son and I went to Boston a few years ago. I parked on the street in front of the hotel we were staying at (Downtown Hotel) to go inside and register, which took less than 5 minutes, and walked back out to a $25 parking ticket on my windshield. Welcome to Boston! (Must have been the New York license plates) I paid the ticket online when I got back home.

Having a quota doesn't exempt someone from being an a-hole. How hard is it to say "Hey guy, I have to write ya if you stay there"? I don't buy the excuse that they're doing a job. It's not a job to intentionally dick with people, like so often happens. A little professional courtesy goes a long way.

FilingBluesFL

We had one driver that got a ticket for not moving over a lane, or slowing down per our Move Over law.

:censored2: tried to get the company to pay for it...

I got a speeding ticket once in a speed trap on the way to work. They didn't pull over the person in front of me, or the person behind me, but the cop actually cut off the person tailgating me, to get behind me to pull me over.

Uniform didn't do jack crap lol

RockinRobin

We are ALL being WATCHED!
I was an Auxiliary Officer for a short time. Hard job. Not as hard as Loading for four hours, but it can be a tough job. We never hassled delivery trucks, Telephone/Cable/Power trucks, Mail truck or similar. But every department and division is different. I imagine running 50 through a school zone will get anyone a ticket, no matter what you are driving.

About two years ago while I was on my way to our HUB, I was caught under a red light because the guy in front of me stalled. By the time he got it re-started and moved, I had been under the light and in the intersection for about 30 seconds and other cars were blocked by me. Of course, a local cop was there and immediately pulled me over as soon as I cleared the intersetion. He ticketed me. I tried to explain I was only going to the UPS Center (sounded better to me than HUB) and was caught under the light by a stalled car in front. He didn't care, and wrote me a ticket. I guess I should have known the guy in front of me was going to stall. Silly me.

I decided to fight it.

I showed up in court, and me and about five others sat there for about 1/2 an hour waiting for the Judge. He never showed. We were told to come back in a week. A week later, I showed up and noticed there were only three others. Two gave up. Again, Judge never showed.
We were told again to come back in a week.
Following week.... Judge never showed, and it was now only me and one other in the room. As we sat there the Court Attorney came in and said to us in an obviously annoyed voice, "You know, your tickets are only misdemeanors. Yet you want to fight them?" He shook he head in disgust and said, "Here give me the tickets."
He discharged them for us. The cops who wrote the tickets never showed either.

Moral... sometimes.... it's good to be persistent.