"UPS Basic 85"-85% POST OFFICE DELIVERY!!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There are 3 types of Basic.

1. PO BOX Delivery
2. UPS Deliver
3. Post office Deliver

UPS has files that are used to determine what the destination zip code will fall under for UPS or USPS delivery. The post office delivers all of the remote type stuff that would kill ups on cost. The in town stuff is handled by the brown guy. There are no Guaranteed Service Recoveries on Basic packages. Basic is now being offered for smaller customers who can give us at least 250 basic packages a day.

Fixed it for you (we do not deliver to P.O. Boxes.)

D-head, we do not deliver to P.O. Boxes. The pkgs that we deliver to the Post Office all have a street address. Yes, the secondary address may be a P.O. Box, but that is not our concern.

With the P.O. closed today, there will be a lot of CLO H to be redispatched tomorrow.

As far as the know it all comment, this is most certainly not the case, although it does appear that I know a little more than the D-head does, don't I?:happy2:

D, semantics, schmantics. We do not deliver to P.O. boxes. When you deliver the shoes to Ms Marcos tomorrow, read the label carefully. You will see 2 addresses, a physical street address for the P.O. and a P.O. Box for shoe lady.

You need to come with more than this if you wish to verbally spar with me.

It was the initial posters intention in regards to basic service that we service PO Boxes, which we do.
You took it upon yourself to make your correction, which you love to do as a know it all.
Your arguement is semantics.

UPSGUY72

I just heard that the new service-"Basic 85" is now being offered to a whole bunch of high volume shippers, with 85% being delivered by USPS. What's next-"Basic 100"? The only part of the business that is growing right now is resi, and now it's going to the Post Office. I know that UPS needs to stay competitive, but why drive right past a resi delivery, on your way to the PO? From a cost standpoint, it makes no sense. From a outsourcing UPS jobs standpoint, it must make sense to mgmt.

Don't worry about it the post office is have alot of problem with all the people they cut. I see mailman out later than UPS drivers. I also hear about alot of companies not to happy with service that the post office is starting to provide.

As I see it it won't be to long and things will change

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
D, semantics, schmantics. We do not deliver to P.O. boxes. When you deliver the shoes to Ms Marcos tomorrow, read the label carefully. You will see 2 addresses, a physical street address for the P.O. and a P.O. Box for shoe lady.

You need to come with more than this if you wish to verbally spar with me.
As a know it all I would expect you to feel that way.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
My boy, UptightNewYork gave me bad rep. Presumedly for our differing opinion. Or maybe for calling him a know it all? Not really worried about the rep points. What worries me is that he might not sign my yearbook now.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There are 3 types of Basic.

1. PO BOX Delivery
2. UPS Deliver
3. Post office Deliver

UPS has files that are used to determine what the destination zip code will fall under for UPS or USPS delivery. The post office delivers all of the remote type stuff that would kill ups on cost. The in town stuff is handled by the brown guy. There are no Guaranteed Service Recoveries on Basic packages. Basic is now being offered for smaller customers who can give us at least 250 basic packages a day.

D-head, I'll sign it. I will make sure to use crayon just for you.:happy2:

Why can't you just admit that you are wrong? We do not deliver directly to P.O. Boxes.

Once again reread the post you corrected.
Nowhere does it say deliver directly.
Consider the topic of this thread, basic packages.
Basic packages have opened the door for us to service PO Boxes whether it be "directly" or indirectly.
Now ask yourself what the purpose of your correction?
Only you know, I say to be a know it all.
Finally consider by my assessment that it's semantics.
By definition I'm acquiescing to the possibility of us both having a point.
But that's not good enough.
I have to be wrong and you have to be right.
That makes you a know it all.

pretzel_man

Basic is the absolute slowest way to get a pkg, unless you want it PO all the way, which may be slower. No matter how close or how far, always add one EXTRA day of shipping for it to get to it's destination. Might be worth mentioning to our QVC ladies (and gents) if the topic of transit time comes up.

Basic was designed as a "no frills" service to meet a demand from direct mailers. They did not want to pay for regular UPS service.

There are multiple things they do not get. If memory serves me correctly it also includes:
- No delivery scan
- No insurance
- No returns
- One delivery attempt
- Up to one extra day delivery time
- No Guarantee

I may be wrong about some of these things, but the concept is the same.

While I can certainly understand the Teamster concern about "opening the door" for outsourcing, in this case we should look at the facts.

These packages are picked up, sorted, and transported by Teamsters. They are delivered to the post office by a Teamster driver. In general (but not always as was expressed in this thread), the delivery cost made the service too expensive. Having the post office deliver the package at least made the service possible.

So, what are the alternatives? Raise the rates and lose the business? Don't offer the service and lose the business? Take the packages at a loss?

This is the best of a bad situation....

P-Man

Just Lurking

Basic was designed as a "no frills" service to meet a demand from direct mailers. They did not want to pay for regular UPS service.

There are multiple things they do not get. If memory serves me correctly it also includes:
- No delivery scan
- No insurance
- No returns
- One delivery attempt
- Up to one extra day delivery time
- No Guarantee

I may be wrong about some of these things, but the concept is the same.

While I can certainly understand the Teamster concern about "opening the door" for outsourcing, in this case we should look at the facts.

These packages are picked up, sorted, and transported by Teamsters. They are delivered to the post office by a Teamster driver. In general (but not always as was expressed in this thread), the delivery cost made the service too expensive. Having the post office deliver the package at least made the service possible.

So, what are the alternatives? Raise the rates and lose the business? Don't offer the service and lose the business? Take the packages at a loss?

This is the best of a bad situation....

P-Man

- Delivery scan to the PO and the USPS delivery confirmation is tied together with our barcode. So they do get delivery scans from both of us.

- no insurance - I have seen follow-up forms from basic packages that we deliver as wells as PO basic packages. Why are we going to trouble for follow-ups if we lose money on more than one attempt. We most really be losing money if we follow-up for three days.

- no returns - Gevalia gets refused on a semi-regular basis. They go to the clerks and get a return label back to Gevalia. It should be pretty simple for IT to program ECS not to print return labels for basic barcodes.

one delivery attempt - Todays is veterans day. Some basic packages went out on cars to be sheeted as closed at the PO while some were held at the center. Either way its mopre than one attempt.

The other two you got me.

We are to pick-up, sort, transport and deliver some and give some to PO. Some Lands' End and QVC are dropped shipped into CACH (or Hodgkins if you prefer) so we are not even doing what was promised.

Last, I ask this simple question. I deliver about 170 residential stops per day. Of that 170 I would say that a core of 120-130 are repeated daily over and over. People that mail/phone/internet order do it one a regular basis are the same ones regardless if they are urban or rural. Now the question - If we are going their most likely already, why not take the incremental profit by having another package for the address instead of paying the PO.

pretzel_man

- Delivery scan to the PO and the USPS delivery confirmation is tied together with our barcode. So they do get delivery scans from both of us.

- no insurance - I have seen follow-up forms from basic packages that we deliver as wells as PO basic packages. Why are we going to trouble for follow-ups if we lose money on more than one attempt. We most really be losing money if we follow-up for three days.

- no returns - Gevalia gets refused on a semi-regular basis. They go to the clerks and get a return label back to Gevalia. It should be pretty simple for IT to program ECS not to print return labels for basic barcodes.

one delivery attempt - Todays is veterans day. Some basic packages went out on cars to be sheeted as closed at the PO while some were held at the center. Either way its mopre than one attempt.

We are to pick-up, sort, transport and deliver some and give some to PO. Some Lands' End and QVC are dropped shipped into CACH (or Hodgkins if you prefer) so we are not even doing what was promised.

Last, I ask this simple question. I deliver about 170 residential stops per day. Of that 170 I would say that a core of 120-130 are repeated daily over and over. People that mail/phone/internet order do it one a regular basis are the same ones regardless if they are urban or rural. Now the question - If we are going their most likely already, why not take the incremental profit by having another package for the address instead of paying the PO.

I've heard that discussed many times. Unfortunately, Post Office delivery is determined at time of shipping. That is well ahead of knowing what other deliveries may occur on an individual day.

I believe that Basic delivery (USPS vs. UPS) is determined by zip code. To do what you say (and has been discussed) would require making the decision address based. Maybe some time in the future.

We are still left with the same options I mentioned before...

P-Man

upandcomer

Basic Packages can be returned, any package can be returned. It is just whether it is part of a contract service or not. Meaning the package can be returned, but they are paying full price for the return and not getting "return service."

pkgman001

Here is a link to the "Basic" zip codes that receive USPS delivery:
http://www.ups.com/media/en/area_surcharge_zips_us.xls

The exceptions would be, either a PO box address (could be to any zip code) and "Basic 85"

UPS classifies every zip code in the US into one of five catagories:
Super Urban-downtown areas on big cities
Urban
Surburban
Rural-(shipper pays an extra $1.60 for commercial, $2.40 for resi, unless it's Basic)
Super Rural-(shipper pays an extra $1.60 for commercial, $2.65 for resi, unless it's Basic)

Everyone should look up their zip code, and see if they are on the "list"!