UPS Basic expanding?

Red Dawn

This week we had a new change our labels on preload. We are told that if a package has a + sign in between the drivers name and sequence number, then it is to be sorted to small sort. No matter the size.

In small sort their is 6-7 IE workers sorting the packages into a new bags. They are not the same bags we use for smalls. They also us Velcro to close them up with.

Have been told that this volume is going to the United States Post Office. They will now be delivering this volume. My sup. said he was told it is going to take 1/5 of volume off our drivers.

I also asked one of the IE guys if this was a temporary, or test....he said "no, this is on from here on out"

I'm sure our package car drivers will like this for now. But will cost us in new drivers now and later they will cut more drivers as this grows.

Anyone else seen this? Looked at shipers..all dif. companys abc ltd landsend etc

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This week we had a new change our labels on preload. We are told that if a package has a + sign in between the drivers name and sequence number, then it is to be sorted to small sort. No matter the size.

In small sort their is 6-7 IE workers sorting the packages into a new bags. They are not the same bags we use for smalls. They also us Velcro to close them up with.

Have been told that this volume is going to the United States Post Office. They will now be delivering this volume. My sup. said he was told it is going to take 1/5 of volume off our drivers.

I also asked one of the IE guys if this was a temporary, or test....he said "no, this is on from here on out"

I'm sure our package car drivers will like this for now. But will cost us in new drivers now and later they will cut more drivers as this grows.

Anyone else seen this? Looked at shipers..all dif. companys abc ltd landsend etc

Are you SURE about this POST?

UPSGUY72

Are you SURE about this POST?

My SUP mentioned this Thursday and Friday. Starting this week when you deliver to the post office you only need to scan the label on the out side of the new burlap type bag you don't need to scan all the packages in the bag. As for the volume increase to the post office as I see it the post office is going to be paying alot more OT or have to hire more drivers to cover the increase in volume. Either way it just adds to thiee problem they can't even get close to paying their overhead now even with all the early retirements and consolidations.

pretzel_man

My SUP mentioned this Thursday and Friday. Starting this week when you deliver to the post office you only need to scan the label on the out side of the new burlap type bag you don't need to scan all the packages in the bag. As for the volume increase to the post office as I see it the post office is going to be paying alot more OT or have to hire more drivers to cover the increase in volume. Either way it just adds to thiee problem they can't even get close to paying their overhead now even with all the early retirements and consolidations.

I don't know a lot about this, but why will it increase drivers? They already go to every address? Unless their trucks are overfilled, It will not cost them extra?

Seems to me that if you had an extra 3 packages to deliver, and every one was just one more to an address you were already going to, it would not add time?

Its about the same impact to them (if my math is close)

curiousbrain

Seems to me that if you had an extra 3 packages to deliver, and every one was just one more to an address you were already going to, it would not add time?

The drivers here can speak to this with more authority than I can, but if the logic your proposing is true, then a 180 stop route with 1 package for each should not take any longer then a 180 stop route with 5 packages for each? Not that you asked for my opinion, but I seem skeptical of that.

edit: Although, with a little further thought, it does stand to reason that three extra packages total would not be a problem; it was the three extra per stop I was considering when I wrote the initial post.

UPSGUY72

I don't know a lot about this, but why will it increase drivers? They already go to every address? Unless their trucks are overfilled, It will not cost them extra?

Its about the same impact to them (if my math is close)

It take more time to deliver packages then envelopes. How many package can a mailman carry in his satekel not many but he can car hundreds of letters. Also have you seen the size of a postal service car. I have more space in my cab they they have in there whole car.

What comes to mind when I hear about this new service and partnership. Train wreck

UPSGUY72

The drivers here can speak to this with more authority than I can, but if the logic your proposing is true, then a 180 stop route with 1 package for each should not take any longer then a 180 stop route with 5 packages for each? Not that you asked for my opinion, but I seem skeptical of that.

edit: Although, with a little further thought, it does stand to reason that three extra packages total would not be a problem; it was the three extra per stop I was considering when I wrote the initial post.

great analogy brownbaggin

pretzel_man

It take more time to deliver packages then envelopes. How many package can a mailman carry in his satekel not many but he can car hundreds of letters. Also have you seen the size of a postal service car. I have more space in my cab they they have in there whole car.

It depends on the scale. There are 338,000 mail carriers there. 1 million smalls is about three extra smalls per mail carrier. To an address they are already going to.

I seriously doubt it will add any extra people.

curiousbrain

It depends on the scale. There are 338,000 mail carriers there. 1 million smalls is about three extra smalls per mail carrier. To an address they are already going to.

I seriously doubt it will add any extra people.

That's assuming an equal distribution throughout the whole network of mail carriers, though. I would be more apt to consider that metropolitan carriers would be weighed down with ... and I'm making this number up out of whole cloth ... 10% or so? That is to say, urban mail carriers would see a disproportionate increase.

pretzel_man

That's assuming an equal distribution throughout the whole network of mail carriers, though. I would be more apt to consider that metropolitan carriers would be weighed down with ... and I'm making this number up out of whole cloth ... 10% or so? That is to say, urban mail carriers would see a disproportionate increase.

Rural carriers will see the largest increase. Even if my numbers are off by 100%, a million packages is 6 per affected carrier. 6 smalls total....

curiousbrain

Rural carriers will see the largest increase.

Why would you say that? It's possible I just missed something in this thread or the other one or two threads that discussed this topic, so I reserve the right to be wrong, but my basic question is why would rural carriers see the increase not the urban ones - proximity of stops or ... ?

Why would you say that? It's possible I just missed something in this thread or the other one or two threads that discussed this topic, so I reserve the right to be wrong, but my basic question is why would rural carriers see the increase not the urban ones - proximity of stops or ... ?
I think ups just might have found there next form of rural remote.

pretzel_man

Maybe you are correct. Its certainly a product for residential deliveries, but I did not see anything that said Rural.