UPS Basic expanding?

Red Dawn

That is what my pt. sup told me last tue. I also mentioned it to a pt sup that works down the st. for the USPS at the airport. He said his big wigs were walking guys around the building and he said they looked like ups guys. That's all i can tell you for now. It has been like peek all week down here trying to get cought up from snow storms. Can say their is NO limit to size. they just are using the small sort belt for now.

I can also tell you another twl hub worked told me that he seen a new lable. Couldn't remeber what exactly was the name but it was something like ups blue instead of ups ground, air etc. he is going to keep an eye out for it.

BrownTie

This new product has been around for sometime but with FED-EX. UPS is trying to capture this market away from FED-EX. From what was explained to me, ABC company will save money by using basic service, instead of UPS standard ground. Consumers will have a choice of using this type of service when they order online. With this type of service, UPS will act as the middle man between the ABC company and USPS. USPS will be the last mile delivery. Will this replace our Basic Service? I don't know. Will this lower our delivery stop volume? Maybe.

pretzel_man

This new product has been around for sometime but with FED-EX. UPS is trying to capture this market away from FED-EX. From what was explained to me, ABC company will save money by using basic service, instead of UPS standard ground. Consumers will have a choice of using this type of service when they order online. With this type of service, UPS will act as the middle man between the ABC company and USPS. USPS will be the last mile delivery. Will this replace our Basic Service? I don't know. Will this lower our delivery stop volume? Maybe.

Yes, this replaces Basic as contracts expire in 2012.

Time in Transit is ground plus 1 to 2 days.

Yes, it will lower residential delivery volume. (I'm betting)

brownelf

we've got a contract coming up in the next few years. UPS will be doing its best to have a plan B in place to keep the stuff moving, who better than the mailman. These issues need to be addressed in the 2013 negotiations, which will most likely begin immediately after the Teamster president is elected.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
This new system is called UPS Mail Solutions. I'm told is going to be huge and may eventually cause a decrease in drivers needed. UPS would love to get rid of residential ground and become a business to business delivery company and of course air delivery. from what i understand they make there least profits from retail ground. if we start dropping off a couple hundred packages to every post office in a residential area, that's a couple hundred STOPS. heck that would cut A LOT of routes. figure how many thousands of people are internet shopping right now. now they see a new cheap shipping option called UPS Basic. click goes the mouse.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This new system is called UPS Mail Solutions. I'm told is going to be huge and may eventually cause a decrease in drivers needed. UPS would love to get rid of residential ground and become a business to business delivery company and of course air delivery. from what i understand they make there least profits from retail ground. if we start dropping off a couple hundred packages to every post office in a residential area, that's a couple hundred STOPS. heck that would cut A LOT of routes. figure how many thousands of people are internet shopping right now. now they see a new cheap shipping option called UPS Basic. click goes the mouse.

UPS Mail Solutions and SurePost are two different things.

Nimnim

The Nim
If mail solutions is new I don't know what my hub has been doing. Since I've been here, 6 years now, we've gotten yellow bags with mail solutions printed on them that gets picked up by an outside person. Expanding maybe, putting it in new areas sure, but it's not really new.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
i think the yellow bags are called UPS Mail Innovations or UPS Mail Logistics. i thought this new basic service with the 2 barcodes, one for UPS and one for USPS was called UPS Mail Solutions.

evilleace

i think the yellow bags are called UPS Mail Innovations or UPS Mail Logistics. i thought this new basic service with the 2 barcodes, one for UPS and one for USPS was called UPS Mail Solutions.

No it is called UPS Basic but is soon to be switched to UPS surepost. What happens is based on zip code the packages are delivered to the post office and then delivered final mile by them, or if it is an urban area we deliver final mile and bypass the post office. With surepost regardless of zip USPS delivers all the packages, and the preload will bag the packages and the driver will scan the bag and get credit for one piece.

As far as I know mail innovations does bulk mail pickup and sorts mail for the post office.

BrownTie

UPS surepost in the long run will decrease residential stops. As far as cutting routes, they may not see the full effect until more companies buy into Surepost. Remember, FED-Ex has this system running and its called smartpost. UPS must win new accounts or take away some of the volume from FED-EX to see any difference.

Christmas

Welp, Looks like my ups future is gone. Thanks ups.Waiting, and waiting next inline. Now this.
But, isn't the government wanting to publicize the post office? Maybe ups will get the upper hand on this one.
Who knows.

Christmas

I'm just saying the post office is broke, they lose money everyday.* I'm sure some one will put so ups does to*I thought I had read that the government was wanting to sale the post office to the public.*anyone could buy the business* With the basic shipping that ups is gonna do now they have there foot in the door. If the government lets this happen, Ups will have the upper hand and probably buy out the business. So this could actually be a good thing.

I'm just saying the post office is broke, they lose money everyday.* I'm sure some one will put so ups does to*I thought I had read that the government was wanting to sale the post office to the public.*anyone could buy the business* With the basic shipping that ups is gonna do now they have there foot in the door. If the government lets this happen, Ups will have the upper hand and probably buy out the business. So this could actually be a good thing.
?????? What?????????

kingOFchester

International Shipping:

If your order is under $100 and under maximum weight/size requirements it may be shipped via SurePost. With this new option, your order is expedited air express to UPS's international distribution center and will arrive to your address via your local postal service.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
UPS surepost in the long run will decrease residential stops. As far as cutting routes, they may not see the full effect until more companies buy into Surepost. Remember, FED-Ex has this system running and its called smartpost. UPS must win new accounts or take away some of the volume from FED-EX to see any difference.

I don't think the intention is to turn our present volume into stops for the post office. It's to grab additional volume we don't have now.

Mick32

I don't think the intention is to turn our present volume into stops for the post office. It's to grab additional volume we don't have now.
This is how it was explained to our management team. The offering of the Sure Post service is meant to get their other, more lucrative volume. (air and whatnot)

UPSGUY72

I delivered to a post office the other day on a route I cover it was nice instead of having to scan 50 or more packages I only had to 3 bags and 23 other packages.