UPS Basic expanding?

curiousbrain

I delivered to a post office the other day on a route I cover it was nice instead of having to scan 50 or more packages I only had to 3 bags and 23 other packages.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I am just spitballing here, but doesn't that mean that in the world of numbers and metrics, management will look at how long it takes to deal with n number of packages going to the post office; that is to say, the time required to previously deal with n packages (scanning each one, etc) versus the time currently required to deal with n packages (scanning a bag or two plus a few boxes), why wouldn't they come to the natural conclusion that they could give a driver extra stops with the time they calculate as saved?

pretzel_man

I don't think the intention is to turn our present volume into stops for the post office. It's to grab additional volume we don't have now.

I think its inevitable that we will have current stops downgraded to surepost.

This is certainly not ideal, but the customers are demanding it, and if UPS doesn't respond we will lose the volume all together.....

Keep this in mind.... This is not a cost saving opportunity. SurePost is a very low margin product.

The hope is that we will protect our current volume and be able to favorably compete in this "no frills" marketplace.

Lets hope it brings other volume with it as this gives customers more options.

UPSGUY72

Correct me if I'm wrong because I am just spitballing here, but doesn't that mean that in the world of numbers and metrics, management will look at how long it takes to deal with n number of packages going to the post office; that is to say, the time required to previously deal with n packages (scanning each one, etc) versus the time currently required to deal with n packages (scanning a bag or two plus a few boxes), why wouldn't they come to the natural conclusion that they could give a driver extra stops with the time they calculate as saved?

What two more stops. I deliver on routes that somedays has bulk stops and somedays doesn't, somedays when I have bulk stops I have more overall stops than days that I don't have bulk stops. Your reasoning might seem logical but that's not how things work they only really care about stops per car and the over / under on that number changes daily for no logical reason accept to avoid adding routes.

curiousbrain

What two more stops. I deliver on routes that somedays has bulk stops and somedays doesn't, somedays when I have bulk stops I have more overall stops than days that I don't have bulk stops. Your reasoning might seem logical but that's not how things work they only really care about stops per car and the over / under on that number changes daily for no logical reason accept to avoid adding routes.

Alrighty.

barnyard

KTM rider
The PCM that we had about Sure Post pointed out that only very large volume customers will use the service and that for every 1 sure post piece, we were told that we would get 3-6 packages that fell into other, more profitable UPS services. It was pointed out that JCPenney was an example of a customer that we kept because of this service.