UPS BASIC

W

wily_old_vet

Guys-what are the shippers of these pkgs you're seeing? Are they new to the best of your knowledge or regular shippers?

B

browndude

they are pkgs that i have not been having so i am not really griping about it too bad

S

sendagain6160

Talked to one of the postmasters on my area today and she says that if the "basic" goes over, there's a lot of other things coming down the pike.The post office does not actually deliver all the packages.The mail carrier will put a notice in the mail box on his route and the customer will come to the po and pick it up.In other words the only thing they have to do is furnish a spot to pile them until the customer arrives....pretty good deal if you ask me.

U

upsdude

wily old vet...........

Romans and Lane Bryant

I love it! I had 2 today that would have been send agains, outta here baby!

D

dannyboy

Well since all the hoopla is over and the packages are here, any one else seeing 18-25 a day from these shippers now? Have had close to a hundred so far this week on my route alone.

Gotta love the volume!

d

G

gman

Where do you guys take these "basics" when you go to the post office. When I've had pkgs and supplies in the past addressed to the post office, the post office on my route doesn't want anything brought to the front desk and nobody ever answers the freight door bell so I'm stuck there for 10 minutes. And there is always a line six or seven people long waiting out front, nomatter what time of year. I hope they intend to make a little better effort for basic package shipments.

U

upsdude

gman.............

We were told to take them to the rear door. If the postal employee refuses to sign for the packages, leave and call the center. The center manager then calls our district office that in turn calls the postmaster. We are making darn good money on these packages.

M

muncher

I have seen about a extra 10 stops due to the basic service, lets see if thatr leads to more full-time jobs because of the volume jump, doubt it!

G

gman

This is just the first month of this service. Imagine what could be coming. Ups is predicting a volume increase of nearly 20% in 2004. Some will be from expiring agreements with shippers who had to sign two year contracts with FedEx before the threatened strike last contract and some will be from "Basic". I have a son who has a long wait to go driving. I hope this cuts that wait a few years. Unfortunately, the Central States Pension fiasco will keep a lot of drivers a few years longer and make his wait that much longer too.

M

my2cents

Just an idea for a new service. Seeing that deliveries to the Post Office will become increasingly routine, why not deliver packages to the Post Office that come through the system with a post office box number on them? It would save the company time and the expense of performing address corrections. Furthermore, some customers may prefer this delivery method, especially if they are not home during the day.

T

traveler

2cents,
That's a great idea! I still remember the first day I delivered on my own and had a package with a Post Office Box number. You would have enjoyed the laughter at the main Post Office in Newark, NJ when I tried to deliver it to them!
rofl.gif