UPS before and after going public.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Many on the BC claim it was so much nicer way back when, like family etc. I recall my first peak driving before even making book and the Supes shoving stops into my truck without rhyme or reason. The center manager said to me what do we have to do to get you in sooner? I said give me less stops. Things really haven't changed that much as far as operations in the last 23 years.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My first Christmas Eve my father (not my Dad) was visiting and my poor (ex) wife had to entertain him because I didn't punch out until early Christmas morning. Now I punch out at about the same time during Peak as I do the rest of the year.

pretzel_man

I am NOT a fan of UPS as a public company, but probably for different reasons than will be said by others.

UPS always pushed numbers. There were always standards, measurement, etc. The old managment conferences were almost about numbers only. There were metrics, MBC, Team MBC, etc.

I honestly do not think any of those things have changed.

What has changed is competition. Public or private there is now competition that didn't exist back then. We were growing by leaps and bounds and that growth made the job more fun. It provided more rewards.

The negative that is associated with going public is the necessary reaction to the lowered margins and the threat to the business. Its the necessity to have even tighter controls due to the tighter competition.

Now, what I HATE about being public is the shorter term thinking. We NEVER used to worry about next quarter like today. The BOD didn't overract due to short term numbers. When we were private we didn't have emergency travel bans so we could make next quarter's expectations.

I am betting many will mix the impact of being public with the impact of competitition.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Many on the BC claim it was so much nicer way back when, like family etc. I recall my first peak driving before even making book and the Supes shoving stops into my truck without rhyme or reason. The center manager said to me what do we have to do to get you in sooner? I said give me less stops. Things really haven't changed that much as far as operations in the last 23 years.

UPS was never "nice" for most employees, but before we went public it was a much more rewarding place to work.

I don't agree with Pman's take on competition. Competing can be rewarding if you pull together as a team and face it. We didn't pull together to address the competition. It feels more like a football team where the players are fighting with each other on the sidelines. Kind of like the Jets.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I don't think it's any different. For me personally it's a little better but that's just because mentally I deal with the job better now than I did back then. I let a lot of things slide that used to stress me out. The young guys look at least as pissed off and frustrated as they always did, maybe even a little more.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
What has changed is competition. Public or private there is now competition that didn't exist back then. We were growing by leaps and bounds and that growth made the job more fun. It provided more rewards.

The negative that is associated with going public is the necessary reaction to the lowered margins and the threat to the business. Its the necessity to have even tighter controls due to the tighter competition.

Now, what I HATE about being public is the shorter term thinking. We NEVER used to worry about next quarter like today. The BOD didn't overract due to short term numbers. When we were private we didn't have emergency travel bans so we could make next quarter's expectations.

I am betting many will mix the impact of being public with the impact of competitition.

We were growing in leaps and bounds, imo in my small part of the shipping and delivery world because we were dependable. We are not nearly as reliable as we used to be. We may get it all off by the end of the day, but not at the time they were used to or with many businesses in time to turn it around.
It chaps my hide, when a good customer complains, and they call and complain and they are told, that ups had to cut routes, because of volume. Really, the customer does not care how we run our business, or what we need to do to run it. We need to understand how their business runs. Fed ex is showing some of them that they can beat me there, and they can pick them up whenever they desire. When they can no longer depend on a delivery time, and someone can promise them better, they need to do what they must to ensure their business. I think that has been overlooked badly in the whole scheme of logistics.

trickpony1

My first Christmas Eve my father (not my Dad) was visiting and my poor (ex) wife had to entertain him because I didn't punch out until early Christmas morning. Now I punch out at about the same time during Peak as I do the rest of the year.

We're glad to see that you have resolved your resentment issues with your father (not your Dad) after all these years.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We're glad to see that you have resolved your resentment issues with your father (not your Dad) after all these years.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

That's funny--you've never met the apple or the tree yet you feel you can pass judgement---you must be psychic.

Are you the Long Island Medium (who BTW is really a large)?

CharleyHustle

We were growing in leaps and bounds, imo in my small part of the shipping and delivery world because we were dependable. We are not nearly as reliable as we used to be. We may get it all off by the end of the day, but not at the time they were used to or with many businesses in time to turn it around.
It chaps my hide, when a good customer complains, and they call and complain and they are told, that ups had to cut routes, because of volume. Really, the customer does not care how we run our business, or what we need to do to run it. We need to understand how their business runs. Fed ex is showing some of them that they can beat me there, and they can pick them up whenever they desire. When they can no longer depend on a delivery time, and someone can promise them better, they need to do what they must to ensure their business. I think that has been overlooked badly in the whole scheme of logistics.

At our building they sort out some customer's pkgs for pick up right away in the morning. Well lately, a local independent courier picks some of them up instead of them sending their own employee.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
At our building they sort out some customer's pkgs for pick up right away in the morning. Well lately, a local independent courier picks some of them up instead of them sending their own employee.

Geez, I think I might know you......................
My largest customer does that 2out of four days last week I got there before him.
They used to send their own employee.
Is that a union issue> they are taking my work. lol

Is that possibly

Johney

Geez, I think I might know you......................
My largest customer does that 2out of four days last week I got there before him.
They used to send their own employee.
Is that a union issue> they are taking my work. lol

Is that possibly
As long as a union employee is moving the packages from the building to their van I really don't think it's a union issue. They probably just put their packages on will call because they are tired of getting different delivery times which we all know is happening everywhere.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
As long as a union employee is moving the packages from the building to their van I really don't think it's a union issue. They probably just put their packages on will call because they are tired of getting different delivery times which we all know is happening everywhere.

We have customers lined up every morning. Pretty sad that Fastenal and other big accounts are some of them.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

We have customers lined up every morning. Pretty sad that Fastenal and other big accounts are some of them.

I'll report to the guys down at Corporate that the plan is working.

The overall strategy to reduce drivers is working, one program at a time.