ups bent me over big time and the union...Termination

P

pickup

by the why r u a sup. or managment??
there is a driver in my hub that did a hit-run in company truck and nothing happen to him, another driver got cought doing cocane in the truck and still has his job, So i'm not the only one thats has done something bad and many drivers take painkillers and drive. Yah i loved my job 2.

Adam, the answer might be these drivers had juice , connections, within the company, a very good relationship with the steward: came up through the ranks with him - speculation. You know that the rules fall down harder on some than others. I did a quick google on vicodin - side effects (amongst others): can impair thinking and reactions. This might be the reason for you not being ready for the exit and also partially for your decision to cut across the lanes. This is not hindsight advice for you but an object lesson for us. Know what you are taking, don't let doctors and management tell you , directly or by inaction, that it is okay to be on something that you are not allowed to be under the influence of while driving. You have my sympathy Adam but barring divine intervention, I don't think you will be working for ups again. And I don't argue against the impossiblity of divine intervention, but that is a whole different thread.

adam

I don't feel the impulse to jump on adam yet because sometimes our thoughts don't come out well when we type especially with an issue that is dear to our hearts and pocketbooks. Adam, as you stated, your license is revoked , did this happen before or after your termination? I don't know too much about how these things work but if your license was revoked, then you can't do the job that they hired you to do. So, let's say that things went your way, and your license is reinstated due to a completely successful court case, and you somehow managed to get your job back through another hearing (is that possible?) , ups wouldn't have to give you back pay for the time your license was revoked so it seems to me they( ups) made a decision that has no negative consequences for them. As for the encounter with the chp officer, I would bet you got at least three tickets (improper lane change, reckless driving, and dui). It also sounds like you had a nasty encounter with the chp officer which means that he probably went for the six pack (six tickets if he can justify it) (especially considering that california is broke and that chp officers are more tax collection officers than safety officers) Mind you, most cops got into the job to serve and protect , not to serve and collect.
So with that said, the cop will come up to you nasty , pissed off over what he perceived (maybe rightfully so) to be a dangerous stunt. I am betting that you answered in the same tone which the cop loved because he is not attempting to extract money from a nice guy but now from what you have become in his eyes : not a nice guy. Even if you beat the dui rap, I think it will be harder to beat the crossing over two lanes (two tickets? reckless driving and the illegal lane change, the first one is enough for termination if guilty) . A lot of speculation on my part, but how close did I get to the target? Not looking to jump on you , adam

Thanks man, I got citited for one just the dui, they droped the lane change. They didn't revoke my l's tell 2 months later. and yes you get it, It does come out different when your so pissed off but i didn't mean to leave things out. My mine is just going and going from that day. I'm not giving up lots of my brother drivers say don't give up there has been worse things that have happen to drivers and they no i'm a good guy and a very hard worker. The other dude seems to not like me. but o well it is what it is.

P

pickup

Adam, the answer might be these drivers had juice , connections, within the company, a very good relationship with the steward: came up through the ranks with him - speculation. You know that the rules fall down harder on some than others. I did a quick google on vicodin - side effects (amongst others): can impair thinking and reactions. This might be the reason for you not being ready for the exit and also partially for your decision to cut across the lanes. This is not hindsight advice for you but an object lesson for us. Know what you are taking, don't let doctors and management tell you , directly or by inaction, that it is okay to be on something that you are not allowed to be under the influence of while driving. You have my sympathy Adam but barring divine intervention, I don't think you will be working for ups again. And I don't argue against the impossiblity of divine intervention, but that is a whole different thread.

Need to correct myself: I don't argue against the possibility of divine intervention.

adam

We're not talking about other drivers....your like a 5 year blaming your older brother because hes doing it too!

No i'm not blaming any one for what i have done. I'm just saying they are all giving me hope and that i have a shot @ this. So you didn't answer my question r u a sup or managment???? Because brothers have each others backs in my hub.

Billy

I have several thoughts based on the latest info. First, I think the doctor should have never released Adam back to full duty while he was still in need on a pain killer. Second, The center manager should have never allowed him behind the wheel while on pain killers. Third, Adam should have got behind the wheel while on pain killers. Three wrongs here created one ugly mess. I do think that UPS should have waited for the trial prior to termination since the firing was allegedly based solely on the arrest. I think Adam has the right to his day in court as that is still the American way...right? If found innocent UPS should give his job back with back pay ( assuming they did no investigation themselves and fired him based solely on the arrest ) If he does not win then I agree that there should be no further action towards UPS. I am concerned that the BA gave up on him. Makes me wonder what he was thinking, or knew.
I also think the way a lot of us attack people is unwarranted. Granted I've seen a lot of post that may come across wrong, but in text it is impossible to truly understand tone. I wish a few questions could be asked to clarify prior to attacks based on how the reader understands it. Then, that is the nature of message boards.

drewed

Shankman
Dont pull that brother this brother that BS Im not a big fan of stupidity... Im guessing they had union support when they had their issues correct? Something you really dont have....

UnconTROLLed

perfection
ok so you no me, saying i'm not a good driver because of jumping two lanes. That really makes me a bad person????? That i should not be a driver. No one is perfect. So are you saying your a perfect driver and follow all the the ups rules, every time you drive??? I can't believe that. All the drivers i know do worst **** than that. What is there that i'm not telling you. I got pulled over for a DUI on meds from my doc and i'm the worst :censored2: ever... There are so many drivers that take meds. and do other things but they have there jobs because they are good drivers and so i'm I i just made a mistake. I was working a 10 hour day on my way back to the hub and got pulled over. I have a clean driving record. Oh yah if you think i was so friend..... up how did i finish my route........

You have to hold yourself responsible and accountable. You cannot drive on hydrocodone, period, and if you do your job is on the line. No UPS doctor will give a RTW status including driving duties and have a perscription for vicodin, period. Don't cite other drivers and their treatment in different situations. That is not going to help your situation and might be a subtle underlying problem.

I have an RX for vicodin, and I know damn well that the UPS doc (1) wouldn't prescribe it to me and (2) give me full RTW duties including driving if it was given.

I dno't drive anymore, but when I did I was taking hydrocodone from time to time. Was it the wrong thing to do? Absolutely. Was it legitimate RX? Yes it was and still is. And also, if I had been pulled over and in your shoes, I would expect the worst including termination.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I have several thoughts based on the latest info. First, I think the doctor should have never released Adam back to full duty while he was still in need on a pain killer. Second, The center manager should have never allowed him behind the wheel while on pain killers. Third, Adam should have got behind the wheel while on pain killers. Three wrongs here created one ugly mess. I do think that UPS should have waited for the trial prior to termination since the firing was allegedly based solely on the arrest. I think Adam has the right to his day in court as that is still the American way...right? If found innocent UPS should give his job back with back pay ( assuming they did no investigation themselves and fired him based solely on the arrest ) If he does not win then I agree that there should be no further action towards UPS. I am concerned that the BA gave up on him. Makes me wonder what he was thinking, or knew.
I also think the way a lot of us attack people is unwarranted. Granted I've seen a lot of post that may come across wrong, but in text it is impossible to truly understand tone. I wish a few questions could be asked to clarify prior to attacks based on how the reader understands it. Then, that is the nature of message boards.

I'm pretty certain that HIS doctor gave the RX without knowing his job duties. The company doctor obviously would as they are involved in the DOT phys and etc

Overpaid Union Thug

Dont pull that brother this brother that BS Im not a big fan of stupidity... Im guessing they had union support when they had their issues correct? Something you really dont have....

Hey why don't you ease off a little bit. You've been a jerk from the get go. It's almost as if you want this guy to get canned. Or like you enjoy reaming the guy. What gives?

drewed

Shankman
The first part is very true....the second only with the assumption that the center manager knew what he was taking and since that hinges on confidential information....and well its all about personal responsibilty...

But it does sound like he went to court and got convicted of the dui correct Adam?

I think the attorney thing personally if it was me it would be a waste of money....the officer probably had to write what the cause was for pulling you over and since that was jumping lanes to make an exit....would be cause for term on top of the dui while in a company vehicle.

adam

what ever dude you have not answered my question.. ok big manager

drewed

Shankman
Hey why don't you ease off a little bit. You've been a jerk from the get go. It's almost as if you want this guy to get canned. Or like you enjoy reaming the guy. What gives?
The entire passing the buck to the company and dr and the union and the chp kinda annoyed me...he said he takes responsibilty soo ill cool off now :)

P

pickup

adam , don't let me discourage you from doing what you have to do to do to counter this. In the last rocky film "rocky balboa" , the odds were against rocky going the distance but he said to someone (paraphrase) a "fighters chance : a lucky or well placed punch can change those odds. Now that I think about it, i think sly stallone mentioned that in the director's commentary. Good luck sir. As for the other guy drewed, I can see his point of view but knowing some of the back story and not knowing the other parts, I am more than willing to give the benefit of the doubt . I wasn't there and don't know the extent of that lane change or your frame of mind when you did it. I've seen drivers I know up close make the same exact wrong move: backing in a yard to a bay door to the danger of others. The difference: some did it without knowing the danger, and some did it
knowing full well the danger, and did it anyway expecting the other trucks to get the hell out of the way . Which we did , but we expressed our displeasure later to those people. The others who did it without knowing that they were putting us in danger, would just get some helpful tips on yard safety, blind spots, etiquette etc. As I said ,you get the benefit of doubt from me but I don't require others to be held to the same criterion as I hold myself to.

drewed

Shankman
I can go back to being an *******? I just dont like people who cant take responsibititly for their actions....the chp was a dick....the dr knew i was a driver...etc etc hes said hes taken responsibilty now so i have a lot less problem with him

adam

adam , don't let me discourage you from doing what you have to do to do to counter this. In the last rocky film "rocky balboa" , the odds were against rocky going the distance but he said to someone (paraphrase) a "fighters chance : a lucky or well placed punch can change those odds. Now that I think about it, i think sly stallone mentioned that in the director's commentary. Good luck sir. As for the other guy drewed, I can see his point of view but knowing some of the back story and not knowing the other parts, I am more than willing to give the benefit of the doubt . I wasn't there and don't know the extent of that lane change or your frame of mind when you did it. I've seen drivers I know up close make the same exact wrong move: backing in a yard to a bay door to the danger of others. The difference: some did it without knowing the danger, and some did it
knowing full well the danger, and did it anyway expecting the other trucks to get the hell out of the way . Which we did , but we expressed our displeasure later to those people. The others who did it without knowing that they were putting us in danger, would just get some helpful tips on yard safety, blind spots, etiquette etc. As I said ,you get the benefit of doubt from me but I don't require others to be held to the same criterion as I hold myself to.

Thanks

P

pickup

Besides, I think I got drewed riled up earlier in the day as he joined my attack on another poster, for which I thanked him , but I might have put his mind in a more negative place. No offense drew, like I said, I understand where you are coming from.

sano

Drewed, maybe adam could hook you up with some vicodin... relax. If you keep calling names and going off on this guy I am going to tell STUG. :)

Overpaid Union Thug

I can go back to being an *******? I just dont like people who cant take responsibititly for their actions....the chp was a dick....the dr knew i was a driver...etc etc hes said hes taken responsibilty now so i have a lot less problem with him

You didn't know that in the beginning but you jumped his case anyway. Do you get in everyone's face that you "have a problem with?" I hope your more easy going with your employees. Everyone has a story. Some people are just better at listening to them in others.