UPS blacklist?

Hi, sorry i know this will turn many of you off, but i do not work for UPS

But I have received packages from people like you for many many years without any issues.

I give my UPS guy Popsicles in the summer and random cookies and things when i see him, because i know how hard it is for you guys, and thanks for taking the beating that online retail has been pouring down on you

after over 5 years of living at my current address, i have never had a package stolen off my porch until this holiday season. i checked my delivery status, and it says delivered, and checked around with neighbors and around the house, nothing (i live in a mobile home complex in san jose).

called the company that shipped the item and told them i had not received the item and they went through an inquiry, called me etc. i suspect it has been stolen, but you know it hasnt ever happened in the past 5 years ive been here

my ups guy comes over today to deliver a couple packages and tell me that from now on my packages will require a signature. pretty much im being blacklisted for one occurrence of theft. we get a lot of low value packages delivered from amazon prime around 10-20 dollars mostly. and it has been great, been getting those packages like clockwork and left on the porch no problem, since no one is home, everyones always working

but now i have to be home to have a package delivered? is there a way to get off this black list?

i asked if i could put a box on the porch and he could deliver things to the box and i could have a lock on it, and he seemed unsure...

any help would be appreciated. just dont have the time to be home everytime we have a small package delivered. this whole thing makes me really sad.... i feel almost like i shouldnt have even complained to the store i purchased from and just ate the 150 bucks. i would much rather have packages delivered without any hassle

my ups guy looked pretty sad about it too, since our house is pretty easy to deliver to, and we get frequent packages. he knows us pretty well.

any advice would be really appreciated. have a great holiday season everybody, stay safe

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Hi, sorry i know this will turn many of you off, but i do not work for UPS

But I have received packages from people like you for many many years without any issues.

I give my UPS guy Popsicles in the summer and random cookies and things when i see him, because i know how hard it is for you guys, and thanks for taking the beating that online retail has been pouring down on you

after over 5 years of living at my current address, i have never had a package stolen off my porch until this holiday season. i checked my delivery status, and it says delivered, and checked around with neighbors and around the house, nothing (i live in a mobile home complex in san jose).

called the company that shipped the item and told them i had not received the item and they went through an inquiry, called me etc. i suspect it has been stolen, but you know it hasnt ever happened in the past 5 years ive been here

my ups guy comes over today to deliver a couple packages and tell me that from now on my packages will require a signature. pretty much im being blacklisted for one occurrence of theft. we get a lot of low value packages delivered from amazon prime around 10-20 dollars mostly. and it has been great, been getting those packages like clockwork and left on the porch no problem, since no one is home, everyones always working

but now i have to be home to have a package delivered? is there a way to get off this black list?

i asked if i could put a box on the porch and he could deliver things to the box and i could have a lock on it, and he seemed unsure...

any help would be appreciated. just dont have the time to be home everytime we have a small package delivered. this whole thing makes me really sad.... i feel almost like i shouldnt have even complained to the store i purchased from and just ate the 150 bucks. i would much rather have packages delivered without any hassle

my ups guy looked pretty sad about it too, since our house is pretty easy to deliver to, and we get frequent packages. he knows us pretty well.

any advice would be really appreciated. have a great holiday season everybody, stay safe

I understand your frustration, but I have to ask, how many times should UPS pay a claim before requiring you to be there to sign?
You might want to explore your options with our new My Choice program.

P.S. I am relatively sure I could sell my center manager on the secure package locker idea.

i dunno... like a 3 strikes program? or even just twice. but this being the first time in 5 years i feel like it would be nice for it to be normal after the holidays you know?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You could have things shipped to where you work or have a neighbor sign for them. Because somebody stole something off your porch, UPS has to pay the claim on it. Since you now have a thief around, its no longer safe to leave things there.

Brain Genocide

Don't think you will be able to get off the list, our policy will not allow it. You have a few options maybe, follow your package online and sign it electronicaly if possible. I have also seen others pre-sign a slip, (ask driver or a UPS store if this is allowed.) don't know how the people got blank notices, but I have seen them pre-signed and ready for us on the door. Maybe have a neighbor who you trust sign for you, just leave a note on your door for the driver.

Better yet - Call your UPS center and talk to some one who can help you.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Sign up for UPS My Choice and do an e-signature. This will release UPS from all liabilities and you get your packages without a signature. Be warned that you will also sign away any rights to file a claim going forward. This e-signature works for "no dr allowed" addresses that we get in our DIADs when you have a negative driver follow up.

Packmule

Ultimately, this is another reason why UPS needs to stop paying claims for pkgs that disappear. Security should be the homeowner's responsibilty, not ours. If this new policy were to become well known, my guess is a lot of people would start providing drop boxes that give us a safe place to put things without the complete home invasion we try to do now.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
According to my LP management person, Code 4s are supposed to be dropped after five years. My Dispatcher has the ability to remove them also.

so if i do that in conjunction with a delivery lock box, and give my driver the key, it could work out fine? do i have to e-sign every package that comes to the address, or can i just auto e-sign and have all my "claim rights" taken away (doesnt include lost in transit im assuming?)

i can probably talk to my driver and tell him to leave a note for any box too large for the lockbox

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
so if i do that in conjunction with a delivery lock box, and give my driver the key, it could work out fine? do i have to e-sign every package that comes to the address, or can i just auto e-sign and have all my "claim rights" taken away (doesnt include lost in transit im assuming?)

i can probably talk to my driver and tell him to leave a note for any box too large for the lockbox
E-signs via my choice stay active until you cancel it. As for a lockbox, if your driver is sick or on vacation that might pose a problem. You can have nots placed in the DIAD for certain delivery instructions, along with the my choice instructions you can place online. Go sign up and you'll see what I mean.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
so if i do that in conjunction with a delivery lock box, and give my driver the key, .....

Just leave the box (padlock, I guess) unlocked and let your driver snap it shut.

Probably, your mobile home park has had a lot of other claims filed, and you just got caught up in a neighborhood thing. Sucks.

Ms.PacMan

so if i do that in conjunction with a delivery lock box, and give my driver the key
You don't even have to give the driver a key. I have 2 residential customers that have those plastic garden storage containers, the kind you can padlock. They leave the padlock in the bottom of the storage bench and when I deliver a pkg, I put it inside, then padlock the container. They retrieve the pkg then put the padlock back in the bottom of the container. As long as you don't get deliveries on the same day, USPS, FedEx, and UPS can then all use the container.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Ask your driver to arrange a conversation between his Center Manager and yourself.
You two need to make the deal, leave the driver out of it please.
The manager can include instructions for the driver in our mobile computer(DIAD), via CPad, an internal program in the DIAD.
This insulates your driver from liability.

The CPad reference was for Nancy.