UPS book of records

Dustyroads

I guess that guy had Liberty Mutual on his speed dial. In my case, I had to chat with an automotive manager, but, since he couldn't explain how I could have anticipated a broken flywheel, a frayed accelerator cable behind the firewall or a bad fuel pump, it was a pretty short and frustrating conversation for the automotive guy. Funny thing, the same wrecker driver brought me both replacement trucks, he had a pretty good laugh about it, saying he hadn't dropped the first one when they told him to hook up the third one. When he came the last time, I just rode back to the center in the wrecker, had made my last stop.

Dustyroads

Hmmmm...in that case, Big, Upstate's guy doesn't really hold the record, he merely tied your existing record, something that you accomplished more than two decades before.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This one may sound like BS but it is 100% true.

I was on a country run and had a number of packages from the same shipper. They were senior pictures and it was the first year that they were being delivered to the students' homes rather than to the school. The problem arose when they let the kids address their own orders. This was pre-911 and we were still on paper so I had a mixture of RD, RR, PO Box and street names without house numbers. After struggling with the first four or five I got to one stop and asked the kid if he could help me with directions. He surprised me by offering to take all of the packages and bringing them to school the next day so I indirected 37 stops at 1 stop. When I got back to the bldg my on car and center manager argued whether it was considered 1 stop or 37 and it was decided that it was 37 stops left at 1 stop. I can't begin to guess how much time that kid saved me and this was the first and last year pictures were sent home.

Dustyroads

Upstate, the reality is that you saved the company a bundle of money by you not having to drive to every kid's home in the school district, including your time, the truck fuel, tires, and depreciation. It's a real shame that your center manager at the time couldn't just give you a big thanks for your smart work and not quibble over how many stops it was. So, you got credit for the time involved in 36 extra stops, what is that, about five minutes? :) Some people can't tell when they are getting a good deal.

over9five

Staff member
Here, we get 5 sick days and 3 optional holidays. Last year I got paid for 5 unused days. Cha-ching, a weeks extra pay! Right now I have 6 left.

God, I hope Upstate's wrong about any upcoming "use 'em or lose 'em" policy!!!

ups2000

how about 42 peices to a buisness sheeted as closed between 12- 1 . started sheeting before 1 but stopped complete after 1 oops now i know. at least i got a letter to frame

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
I crammed 1200 pick up pcs into an old p400(granted they were all books individually boxed). Had to fold up the shelves and drive really slow since the tires would rub the wheel well at every little bump.

ol'browneye

Another driver and I had to pickup 400 boxes at 40-60# each from a 3rd floor office on the old one-time pickup sheets. You know, the old ones where you had to peel off a sticker and put one on every box. Took us over 3 hours working together. Good thing we had 2-wheelers!

brownrod

It all boils down to what you did with what you had...many years ago you had 3 sick days and 2 option days...it was converted into your option week.

I have a relative in the San Fran / Oakland area and his local gets their medical paid for when they retire. That has to be a record.

UPSSOCKS

Back in the day, the UPS magazine, The Big Idea, used to do a book of records about once a year, maybe it was in the January issue. Anyway, I'm sure a lot of upsers have stories about what they've seen or done in the course of their jobs. One record I recall was the longest driveway, another was the most stops delivered by one driver in one day. You get the idea. In this thread, you can make up the catagory and submit your record entry.

I'll start it off with a seasonal record. I deliver to the house with the most inflatable christmas decorations, I think the owner mentioned that there were 75! I think that's a record that will stand for awhile!

That magazine was something people looked forward to. It's too bad the big idea is gone...