UPS bootcamp

rod

Retired 22 years
My Training Camp was awesome,I got a 2 day ride from a sup that knew nothing,used me as helper then on day 3 gave me 200 stops and a map!
Told me if I miss one,stuff one,or miss a pick up I was fired!
Then as a confidence builder,he told me that I sucked and wouldn't last a week here!!
he was fired for too much LADDDY time here and the numbers games
!
that was 24 yrs ago and ,,Ummmm I'm still here LOSER !!!

Isn't karma wonderful sometimes. I had a center manager tell me he was going to have my job. He ended up being fired (not just sent on down the line to another center like they usually do) and I retired happilly ever after. Na na na na na na.

UPSER110

Sounds like that driver is an example of WHAT to do. Work at your own pace, then let the burners come clean up the gristle. Tell that man I said, "Hey! Keep up the good work!"

Haha really? When I met him I said how much lunch do you have left? He says "Ive only taken 5 minutes". He then spent the rest of his lunch driving back to the building and recording missed pkgs. That sounds like the example of what to do??? Me on the other hand soaked up the OT with about 15 of his easy stops, and I enjoyed my lunch with my helper earlier that day at 1pm before my pick ups.

brownracer

As someone who has assisted in the development of the training classes at the Integrad sites I can tell you that much effort has been put into not only teaching safety but also service offerings, DIAD, methods and customer relations. It is an all inclusive agenda. The aim is eliminate all the pain that we all had as we learned the job. (Years ago I had a on-car with me 1 1/2 days and then I was on my own.)

I don't have to tell you how difficult and confusing the driver job is now compared to the past. With the continual addition of new service offerings and improved competition we no longer have the luxury of taking years to learn the job. And if one is confused with setting up your stops, proper methods and DIAD recording, then the chance of an incident is exponentially higher.

I would highly recommend that you talk to someone who has gone through the pre-course, onsite classes or investigate for yourself online. The media reports will always focus on the simple-- not the complete job that has to be done day in and day out to be safe and successful.

It is always easy to criticize.... I can tell you that everyone involved with the Integrad sites from corp to operations has one primary goal--- well trained Service Providers that can have a long, safe and successful career.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
You can be trained by loving fairies that massage your feet and rub your gums, but none of that matters when the rubber hits the road. On-car and on-road supervisors who have nothing but bean counting on their minds, really don't care what your trainers might have drilled into your head. If the training helps the numbers, great; if not, than that crap goes out the window. This is why we have so many morons on this forum who say they don't have time to follow the methods. No matter what they say, they're scared of getting harassed, so they skip their lunch, they drive unsafe, and risk injuring themselves and others.

tourists24

You can be trained by loving fairies that massage your feet and rub your gums, but none of that matters when the rubber hits the road. On-car and on-road supervisors who have nothing but bean counting on their minds, really don't care what your trainers might have drilled into your head. If the training helps the numbers, great; if not, than that crap goes out the window. This is why we have so many morons on this forum who say they don't have time to follow the methods. No matter what they say, they're scared of getting harassed, so they skip their lunch, they drive unsafe, and risk injuring themselves and others.
doesnt matter to those who need to justify keeping their jobs Drac..... Integrad must be a success... wink

OptimusPrime

Basically skip my lunch everyday. Only take the required ten minutes. We are a bonus center, so it's not like I can punch in for the full 50 and still work. That would put me in the bonus, and get me fired for stealing. If you enjoy the R&R of a lunch, but getting off 40 minutes later. Huzzah! Now if you are referring to guys working off the clock, and fudging numbers, that's a management issue in that they are allowing them to get away with it. But if you are bad mouthing guys who just take the minimum to shorten an already long day, then buzz off.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I attended driving school after having worked for 10 years. This was a two week course primarily focused on classroom instruction. We went on road on Thursdays. I found most of the instruction to be repetitive and mundane and looked forward to Thursday when we got out of the classroom. The DIAD was still fairly new and we spent a lot of time learning all of the applications.

Our newest driver went to driving school for a week and then waited over a month before going on road. He had pretty much forgotten most of what he had learned and needed our new on-car to ride with him for a week. He also still had the "insider mentality" and was having a hard time making the transition. He is finally getting the hang of it but is still slower than molasses.

This thread reminds me of when I was in the military and had just reported to my first permanent duty station. The first thing I was told was to forget everything that I learned in basic training.

gwood

well Brownracer, it's refreshing to see that there are still those out there who aren't so smug and think they know everything. Before I go, I just want to clear up some earlier comments.....I'm not some young prick....I'm in my 50s and have been around awhile too. At least my head isn't swelled so big by my ego that I'm not open to learning. The one trainer in the video-the young female-did start as a driver and knows what it's like to work long days, many stops and the insanity of peak. It's sad that the world has such a glowing image of UPS's drivers and the majority on this forum are pompous know-it-alls! Merry Christmas.