UPS bracelets

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Apparently, bracelets are being issued to sorters in my hub. I haven't seen them, wonder if they're the fancy magnetic or copper kind with special magical powers? Could this be a sign of a kinder, gentler, more holistic UPS? (end sarcasm):wink2:
But seriously, a sorter was to be disciplined for not wearing the bracelet, until I asked where in the contract bracelets were required (actually I thought LP actually has a policy against jewelry other than a wristwatch and wedding band, for men). That ended that conversation, but if it comes up again, should I raise the issue of new equipment/technological change (article 6 in my Local's contract?

I would tell them I`m not wearing it especially for safety. But I tell you what,the first guy who's bracelet gets hooked and de-gloves his hand or tears it off entirely is going to be a wealthy son of a gun.

W

westsideworma

it traces your sorting speed, and heart beat per seconds.

really? I'm not trying to be gullible it just seems like itd be something the company would try (the sorting speed part, not so much the other), so that they can hold people accountable for whatever the sort rate is....which won't hold up for discipline anyway...

IDoLessWorkThanMost

What the hell does heart rate have to do with anything? We're all individuals with different heart rates different speeds different bodies. I can unload or sort 1500/hr and barely break a sweat except summertime, and keep an 85 heart rate at highest. If it's really to track heart rate and work effort, it's simply the most discriminating and stupid idea yet.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I notice my stalker has come out of hiding. Thank you, Cheryl, for the ignore list. W, will you ever have an independent thought?
U-yes. But this is much more fun. You obviously like to play along since you announce (often) that I am on ignore but keep coming back. I guess I have been a little unfair with you. If it is any consolation, New Englander has been coming to your defense. Almost like a little Brown Cafe union. Whoops. Sometimes I can't help myself.:surprised:

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
it traces your sorting speed, ....
Haha, I guess a stopwatch and counter (clicker) are too complicated for supes these days.

Found out friday, they were some kind of ink stamp to be worn in the palm of your hand to see who may have been missorting. What they did do was get ink all over your your hands or ruin your gloves. It's a shame they fell off and disappeared:wink2:. I didn't get a chance to see these things close up, but if they weren't designed to break away if they get caught (like some ID badge lanyards), they're clearly unsafe. And what about the ink, gonna have to see the MSDS on that, aprons for everyone, extra wash-up stations (& extra time before break and clock out). This could get expensive.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

The stamps were used in the unload the last time I saw them. This was small building, not hub. The #'s on the stamp were tied to a particular unloader, and the sorters could be gauged missorts by how many packages of theirs ended up being pulled off at the pickoff. As a sorter you unloaded the same person all night.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Ahhh....I loved that system! My last hub experimented with 'open sort' and it caused an operational coronary on the aisles. It stopped, one sort aisle at a time as supes decided it wasn't worth the effort. -Rocky

Yeah, did the open sort thing at multiple buildings and none of the times did it work the way it was "designed" (or lack thereof) ....absolute chaos every time!

dillweed

At my center they track missorts by PAL labels. Each computer has a different code so they can find out which door pkgs come from.

Almost every day a sup comes up to check label codes and track down the culprit. They nailed me one day but I pointed out that there were two unloaders in my trailer which made for impossible flow. Since I've been told I can't hit the stop button, stack pkgs on the floor for when I have extra time or ask the PAL clerk to hold up for a minute the pkgs have no other place to go. One of the unloaders was removed from the trailer. :happy2: