UPS Brown Derby Jackets - Old School- Uniform- Need Info

Can anyone old school ups tell me about the original UPS brown derby ups jackes that were worn for years. Derby jackets were made in s.friend. until the 1980's i see some derbys on e bay for over 100 bucks

I would like to know if any old school or new school ups guys and gals
remember the derby jackets, etc

thank you

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Can anyone old school ups tell me about the original UPS brown derby ups jackets that were worn for years. Derby jackets were made in s.friend. until the 1980's i see some derbys on e bay for over 100 bucks

I would like to know if any old school or new school ups guys and gals
remember the derby jackets, etc

thank you

I have never heard of a Derby jacket, i still have a old Ike jacket that a old timer gave me before he retired looks something like the one in the link except its brown. i know a few drivers that still wear theirs.it kinda pisses off some management people but it was a issued uniform.

http://www.marlowwhite.com/dress-uniforms/eisenhower-ike-jacket.html

I remember both. I still have my old Ike jacket. Wasn't much on warmth and hasn't fit in years.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I know my Ike jacket sure made a great pillow back in the day when I used to sleep on the steering wheel of my friend Model.

I think my jacket disappeared sometime in 1985 and it was not very warm .. The buttons fell off in 1979.

john346

No more Brown!
Had a Derby for a few years, was a great fit & pretty warm too. When it got so frayed & bad I had to exchange it for a new coat. Still regret turning it back in.

The brown derby jackets made for ups by Derby of san francisco had a derby label inside....some had a gold lining, others just a plain lining, but still a derby.

Derby also made the jackets in like black, blue, tan, etc..for years

I have seen a derby going on e bay for 124 bucks, a tan one...

But any UPS information about the derbys is appreciated....

The uniform jackets now...well i have seen them, not like the old school
derbys ut i guess everything has to change.

thanks

Picture of a Derby Jacket

I uploaded two pic of the derby jacket--but it is BLACK

2037-jpg.11854

2038-jpg.11855

Derby made the same jacket but in UPS B

Last edited by a moderator:

ups79

I remember both. I still have my old Ike jacket. Wasn't much on warmth and hasn't fit in years.

Had an allergy to wool. The first day I used that ike jacket, I had welts from hives all over my back. Never had it on again, no matter how cold I got.

They are not IKE jackets!! THey are derbys jackets, the IKE's i dont know if people are getting confused...

Um, i never heard of a derby being referred to as an IKe, just a Derby.

I never heard of anyone getting a rash from a derby jacket--maybe you got stung by a BEE. or were alergic to SOAP

Cheers

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
No one is confused.

Have you ever posted to a forum before? We know you specifically want to know about "derby" jackets. But the discussion has broadened to include other types of jackets. Conversations deviating from the original topic are a common occurence in life, especially on internet forums.

Chill, you will get as much information as people choose to give or know.

Along with information you don't want at all :happy2:.

i looked up IKE jackets, i guess similiar but not a Derby, so i want to
get it correct. I appreciate the other information of course.

Im sure out of the thousands of current and ex drivers for ups, some are
still worn, or get in plastic hanging in the closet.

I never was a delivery driver, only a tow truck driver...did service call and
all the aa, except our PACKAGES were autos, junp starts, flat tires, wrecks. lock out etc.

Cheers

I never was a delivery driver, only a tow truck driver...did service call and
all the aa, except our PACKAGES were autos, junp starts, flat tires, wrecks. lock out etc.

Cheers
In this case there is another thing you should know. UPS employees sometimes have a language all their own. For some reason unknown to me, UPS often used names for stuff that just doesn't make sense to the outside world.

What do you mean UPS employees use a language of their own--all the ups guys and gals i know seem tu use proper language!!

A derby jacket is not an IKE jacket...the o nly Ike I knew was about a bald headed president i learned about in History, who did nothing and was useless, but better as a general.

A derby jacket is called a Derby Jacket...maybe an Ike jacket is similiar
but UPS wore derby jackets back then until they changed. etc

Cheers