UPS Career options with a Business Management Degree???

fightingthegoodfight

I have been with UPS for 5 years now with 3 different center in 2 states. I have done everything on the list. Preload Unload Loading Small Sort Sort isle spa-ing Picking off ect...I am almost done with my Business Man. Degree and I am wondering what options do I have to progress in the company? Can someone become a full time SUP with out being a Part time SUP? And what about corp. Jobs?

Any info will help thanks guys

Justaname

I have been with UPS for 5 years now with 3 different center in 2 states. I have done everything on the list. Preload Unload Loading Small Sort Sort isle spa-ing Picking off ect...I am almost done with my Business Man. Degree and I am wondering what options do I have to progress in the company? Can someone become a full time SUP with out being a Part time SUP? And what about corp. Jobs?

I wouldn't do pt out of fear of being stuck.

fightingthegoodfight

Right now I am in a really small center bigger center in my region would be phoenix houston denver etc...im just trying to find a way out of this small center and progress in the company as I believe I do have a lot to offer...but how likely is it that they would transfer a part time preloader to a FT SUP position

PT Car Washer

Right now I am in a really small center bigger center in my region would be phoenix houston denver etc...im just trying to find a way out of this small center and progress in the company as I believe I do have a lot to offer...but how likely is it that they would transfer a part time preloader to a FT SUP position
More like an off the street hire. I think you would make a prime candidate with your experience just need to make some contacts with upper management. Division level at least. PT sup may be a job killer for you. Leave you there to rot. Just an opinion.

curiousbrain

Listen, listen, listen: it doesn't matter what you believe or how capable you really are. You will be used and abused until you either can't stand it anymore, or until you develop the sense of total apathy that most long-time employees have at this company. Read the tea leaves: there is a reason why long-time employees are the way they are, and it's not cosmic irony.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
are you female? a minority? the only purpose of operations is to avoid equal opportunity employer lawsuits.. you dont actually manage anything. dont waste your time as a ups manager..its a whole new co now

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Listen, listen, listen: it doesn't matter what you believe or how capable you really are. You will be used and abused until you either can't stand it anymore, or until you develop the sense of total apathy that most long-time employees have at this company. Read the tea leaves: there is a reason why long-time employees are the way they are, and it's not cosmic irony.

Have a bad day today?

UPS is pretty much like other companies.
Everybody I know complains about their job and the work environment.
Compared to 25 years ago, global competition and consumer pressures for lower prices has changed almost everyone's job.

Work sucks ... that's why they pay you for working.

hellfire

Have a bad day today?

UPS is pretty much like other companies.
Everybody I know complains about their job and the work environment.
Compared to 25 years ago, global competition and consumer pressures for lower prices has changed almost everyone's job.

Work sucks ... that's why they pay you for working.

yes,, but,, operations level management has become a complete joke....you are fortunate for getting in with ups when you did,, do not agree?

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Wait a second... Aren't you the same guy, the started threads about petitioning to get your manager moved/fired? What about the one where this maniacal manager bribed you to withdraw copious amounts of grievances? You've been fighting the good fight for a while now, like a good Union brother should. Why would you want to hop into bed with those dastardly villains? Did you suddenly realize you've been fighting the wrong good fight? Do you believe the raucous you've caused (grievances, fighting the good fight etc.) will be helpful to you in your quest to jump ship? Are you under the impression that your past deeds will be forgotten should you find success in your managerial aspirations? Or have you been feeding us a line of :censored2:?

fightingthegoodfight

Well yea HR has done an investigation and it is still up in the air what will happen to her...word is the center manager (back from disability) asked her to step down.

I worked in NJ in the fourth largest out-put centers in the country was always close with upper management and always wanted to eventually progress. then a little over a year ago i transfered to a ****ty dessert town (for school) and I would want to get back into any large center at this point

I have been fighting the good fight because i have seen the big picture now in 3 different centers and i knew things were upside down in this smaller center. I would love to be a union brother for life but with my degree in business being a preloader for the next 25 years will not support my family the way I intended to, and i do not want my education to be in vein or start over in a different country

Say i contact my old boss from NJ... if there is a job opening is it likely they could transfer me (as a union preloader) back to NJ as a FT SUP with out having that offical title where I am now?

Just trying to find out my career options

InsideUPS

Congratulations "fightingthegoodfight" on your completing your Business Management Degree...

In the past, you would need driving experience to go into FT management. College degrees are not looked at as something special at UPS. Many part-time employees have them...while many FT management employees do not.

You may want to consider a BD/E-Commerce (Business Development) position at UPS OR check out Indeed.com for some other options.. Going into any FT UPS management position requires a considerable amount sacrifice. Great for a resume but very difficult for having a family life. If you're young, single, like to travel (willing to relocate)......by all means put your letter in. Regardless, best of luck in whatever you do....... remember...don't forget to check out Indeed.com also.

hellfire

All the time.
Have you talked to anyone in operations at FedEx or the Post Office or any other industrial based company?

UPS is not Google or Yahoo ... it's a trucking company.
apples and oranges, the benefits pkg attracted talented and qualified individuals to put a letter in, im speaking on 28 yrs of knowing operations management,, and still being current on the day to day operations laments. Thats not the way a normal Co works, look at the current trend and the lack of qualified personal interest,now HR will shove anyone interested into a position to fill a slot, most drivers would work more , have less job security,and make less if they were in operations