UPS Castration of Drivers or Just Low Testosterone?

InsideUPS

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how UPS seems to have "castrated" many of our drivers? Whether by design or simply years of "wear and tear", I have noticed a significant increase in the number of drivers that no longer seem to have any spirit to defend themselves... Through telematics, video surveillance, etc., many drivers have been driven into "survival mode". It makes me sick to see grown men unable to stand up for themselves at work in a variety of "harassing" situations.

As evident in the preliminary contract proposals, the IBT seems to be taking the issue of harassment very seriously. Reducing routes and increasing stops per package car is forcing drivers into "no win" situations...or at least into conditions which safety is compromised. (Thanks in part to SurePost) Discharge warning letters and hearings are at an all time high. NOTE: In my opinion, the most effective method to combat harassment and unrealistic production demands is through UNITY and following the existing contract language. If for example, EVERY driver were to call in for assistance for over 70lb. packages, the centers would "get the message" that enough is enough. The problem is that we have the never ending "New Young Runner Driver mentality vs. the Veteran Seasoned driver with experience". It seems impossible to educate the "young runners" that it really is in their best interest to be "safe" and know that they have a "marathon" ahead of them.

So....in summary... while it is natural for testosterone levels to decrease with age........don't let UPS hang "your testosterone producers" up on a wall some where..... hold on to them and use what testosterone you have left to combat "corporate mentality". Stay UNITED and continue to educate the young drivers the difference between Marathons and Sprints. A 30 year retirement at UPS is most definitely a Marathon..

P.S. For our Estrogen producing Drivers....... please ignore this post. The POWER of Estrogen has already been exemplified by Julie Mayer......the UPS driver who is legally taking on UPS due to her pregnancy.. (see NEWS thread)

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
I completely understand, support, and agree with defending yourself to terrible management...but championing this "Us VS Them" mentality will only continue to perpetuate the situation. Understand that you work WITH UPS, not against them, and everybody has to answer to somebody.

wgf46

Management has created the "Us" versus "Them" mentality, they are setting that tone, don't be confused or mislead about that. I'm sure there are a few good Center Managers that do work in the real world and form a good team working environment for their centers drivers. But, my first sentence holds true in a lot of centers being dictated from management probably above the center manager. Treat people right and with respect, and they will give you more than an honest days work.

And how many years do you have in?

You might see an old dog but I say you might be looking at a dog smart enough to get old.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It's a medical condition it's called low T. What a joke those commercials are. Might as well just say its a medical condition called getting older.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Doing your job and not letting management get to you isn't a sign of low testosterone, it's called playing the game, and the game is a long one. The guys with high testosterone are also generally the ones that mess up, mixing emotions when dealing with management, causing them to screw up somewhere along the way allowing management a reason to boot you.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I wouldn't tie it in with the big T. It's more of a lack of backbone and simple stupidity, really.

DS

Fenderbender
alot of these troll posts lately from 'new' posters
I didn't see it that way.He had plenty of good points regarding management,and the
tactics they use to intimidate people .I didn't get the testosterone aspect,but thought
it was a good post.I'm a 23 yr driver,and some of the crap they are coming up with
is actually starting to get to me.I'd rather have 30 stops over my max than the pressure
of being back and punched out by 19:00.Leave me alone and let me do my job.

DS

Fenderbender
Teamsters are lining up their "digital" thugs in preparation for contract talks.
I question who the real thugsters are.
I envy you soooo much for finally getting out.
I actually got stressed out today trying to follow instructions.
I forgot to deliver a pkg.I never do that.It was missed.
My crystal ball lost it's internet connection,and didn't predict
the wet snow and the affected traffic conditions and at least 2
pissed off customers.I don't get it.Trying to save the $15.00 OT
I'd get by waiting 10 minutes to p/u 13 Express pkgs worth
$80,000 going to Mcdonnell Douglas (weather radar components)
to insure I'd be back and punched out by 19:00
I do not work efficiently under these conditions.
Sorry for the rant.I'll be right back after I kill myself.
BTW I punched out at 19:06...my bad

browniehound

The only way I would call for help on an over 70 is if I really needed it. I would exhaust all other options (ask the customers for help, etc.) before calling for help and it has nothing to do with UPS management. I wouldn't do it because it would screw my fellow driver who is already screwed with a 10 hour day from UPS. How could I ask him for another 30 minutes of his time?

Who wants to get that call everyday? You have to drive across town to help a driver with an over 70 that he could easily roll on to a two wheeler and push through a door. I certainly don't.

I'm not sure I like this language in the contract.

SAFETY FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i DONT care if it takes me 2 hours to help somebody with an overweight!! !U.P.S. should have came up with a plan for the over weights before they snuck it in to the contract!!

alwaysoverallowed

I had my breaking point tonight with ups. Long story short I waited 15 mins for a check bw 425 and 440. I told them I have other pick ups and businesses to del sorry you'll get it on Monday. Got a message to go back I said I didn't have time. Got another saying I had to and to be "nice." I replied with "No fire me." another driver came and got the package I punched out at 9 was told I would be paid for my lunch ( not counting on it ) friend'em this isn't the only place hiring now.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Management has created the "Us" versus "Them" mentality, they are setting that tone, don't be confused or mislead about that. I'm sure there are a few good Center Managers that do work in the real world and form a good team working environment for their centers drivers. But, my first sentence holds true in a lot of centers being dictated from management probably above the center manager. Treat people right and with respect, and they will give you more than an honest days work.
It's not their fault.
It's either they harass, or are shown the door.
If it's not your manager harassing, it'll be another when the door re-opens.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I had my breaking point tonight with ups. Long story short I waited 15 mins for a check bw 425 and 440. I told them I have other pick ups and businesses to del sorry you'll get it on Monday. Got a message to go back I said I didn't have time. Got another saying I had to and to be "nice." I replied with "No fire me." another driver came and got the package I punched out at 9 was told I would be paid for my lunch ( not counting on it ) friend'em this isn't the only place hiring now.
This is an example of emotions playing into the demise of a career.

Ms.PacMan

The overweight version of Tragedy by the Bee Gees

Here I sit
In a lost and lonely part of town
Held in time
In a world of fears I take it down
Goinhome
I just can't take it all alone
I really should be twice as strong
Twice as strong
Movin on movin on

Gravity