UPS Chief Executive Gets Raise

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Scott Davis obviously prepared himself for a CEO position. Anyone (typically) could have done the same, but chose not to. I can sit around wishing I had what others have and think that I'm being jilted, or I can choose to be happy for what I have and consider that the CEO position comes with its share of stress and requires skills that I probably don't possess. I'm happy that there's no tsunami or nuke cloud heading my way today.

trouble maker

He did what outside shareholders wanted him to do. The company made a big pile of money. Remember, the shareholder comes first.
His raise is sickening. I don't know how many of you use to remember when all they would preach to us was " we don't sell anything, all we sell is service". Well, from what I have witnessed over the last 27yrs, it has seriously taken a back seat, especially in the last 5 to 8 yrs. If we as a company ( management & union) continue this trend, we are going to be in serious trouble.

beentheredonethat

I have mixed feelings. On one hand, if you look at our service providers and comparing them to peers at other companies, they make the most. Similarly our airline mechanics make more then their counterparts at other companies. When I started at UPS as a supervisor I made more then all of my college friends who were trying to just find a job let alone getting a job at my pay. Why shouldn't the CEO and COO and CFO make industry average? However, if I had to choose, I think the pay and more importantly the increase he is getting is too much, especially now. My main reason is that at other large companies they may hire a new CEO from the outside and pay a lot of money to get the best person for the job. The best should be paid a large sum. However, at UPS the CEO comes from within. (even those of you who say Scott is an outsider, he;s been with UPS and before that a subsidiary we bought for decades). Over the last decade or so, the pay rate for supv and managers has declined compared to our peers at other companies. We have more turnover of mgmt then we ever have. This is partially due to how the pay of UPS mgmt has eroded over time. The CEO in 20 or 30 years from now, will be someone who is getting hired or promoted now. We should attract the best candidates by paying new mgmt folks at a rate that like the drivers exceeds their peers.

curiousbrain

Imagine his tax refund.

Do millionaires get tax refunds? Do they look forward to them and think "Sweet, now I can party like a Kennedy this weekend!"

Only way to find out is to make a million, I guess.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Why shouldn't the CEO and COO and CFO make industry average?

There enlies the problem.
They are all making to much. The industry average is out of control!!!
It's quite simply a good old boys club.
They all sit on each others board of directors and approve each others compensation packages while the front line workers', hourly and management alike, stagnate.
There is only so much of the pie to go around.
If this trend is permitted to continue, what's going to be left for us after the stockholders and the ivory tower gets theirs?

Scott Davis is not a "true" Upser. His company was bought and he came with it. He never applied for a job at Ups and that is where the problem lies. We ought to get rid of the whole Board of Directors (except those that started their career at Ups, are there any?). Maybe we would not begrudge monies earned if Scott Davis and the entire Board were "true" Upsers, starting at Ups and advancing thru the ranks. You know, having people in charge that understand the culture and business of UPS! Please do not hand me the line that they were hired because of their "expertise" in an outside field....that is why you pay for an outside consultant without hiring a person, paying them until they retire and then a pension until they die! Isn't one of our Board members also on the Board of H. J. Heinz? What does understanding how to make pickles have to do with delivering packages? Is it too much to ask that UPSers be in charge of UPS?

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I've been told I'm financially liable for a $766.XX bounced C.O.D. yet I'm still at $16.10 hrly cover driver. Can Scott cover my payment just this once? I'll thank him and will have learned my lesson. I'll check all future's for verified funds. I swear that C.O.D. did not say cashier/money order. Anyway to prove it or does it matter?????????

Check this out. Shipper got paid the balance via UPS. Shipper then sends out another C.O.D. "EMPTY BOX" with same C.O.D. balance to customer as a way to get payment from previous bounce C.O.D. check. Customer gladly pays it and no bounce check this time so now shipper has recieved 2 payments for Same C.O.D. xept the 2nd time was empty box with a different tracking ####. Shipper still keeping payment from UPS and the customer also. UPS wants there $ back and I'm stuck. Hoping something works out. Manager trying to deal with shipper and Our "C.O.D. " dept. to get things worked out. Shipper needs to admitt intent on 2nd C.O.D. payment and give UPS back thier $ or Shipper might as well be robbing a low income cover driver who's struggling to get a decent check till spring vacations kick in.

Last edited:

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
United Parcel Service Inc. Chief Executive Scott Davis was paid $10.7 million in total compensation last year, 72% more than the $6.2 million he received in 2009.

Good for him but can he hit 40 home runs ,bat 300, or win 20 games

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Backlasher, there is a way to prove whether the COD was certified funds or not. Ask your manager to secure an image of the address label that was on the first COD. Yes, it can be done. This will show whether certified funds were requested or not.

Did the DIAD prompt you to accept certified funds only?

As far as the second COD, why would you deliver an empty box and collect money on it if you suspected COD fraud on the part of the shipper? You should have brought the pkg back to the center and expressed your concerns to your mgt team.

If UPS does find you liable you do not have to pay the full amount--you can elect to have the money withdrawn weekly until the balance is paid in full. For a COD that large they may ask for $25/week but may go as high as $50/week.

airbusfxr

Scott came from II Morrow. Never touched a box but his money comes in a big one. I bet all staff leve guys wish they came from aviaton background. Obtw the head of the airline was also 2morrow. At least they let us keep 3% 401k match for all aircraft workers.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
United Parcel Service Inc. Chief Executive Scott Davis was paid $10.7 million in total compensation last year, 72% more than the $6.2 million he received in 2009.

Good for him but can he hit 40 home runs ,bat 300, or win 20 games

If he could, he would be making a lot more.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Scott Davis is not a "true" Upser. His company was bought and he came with it. He never applied for a job at Ups and that is where the problem lies. We ought to get rid of the whole Board of Directors (except those that started their career at Ups, are there any?). Maybe we would not begrudge monies earned if Scott Davis and the entire Board were "true" Upsers, starting at Ups and advancing thru the ranks. You know, having people in charge that understand the culture and business of UPS! Please do not hand me the line that they were hired because of their "expertise" in an outside field....that is why you pay for an outside consultant without hiring a person, paying them until they retire and then a pension until they die! Isn't one of our Board members also on the Board of H. J. Heinz? What does understanding how to make pickles have to do with delivering packages? Is it too much to ask that UPSers be in charge of UPS?

If we all constantly complain that our mgmnt is out of touch and bringing down the company, than why allow them to work their way up to CEO? I have no problem with an outside hire. Company can't continue to think the same way for 100+ years. For all the aggravation employees of this company had to endure the last few years it did result in a boatload of profit. That is the CEO's job. Davis made half of what Brett Favre did last year. Who had the better year?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have mixed feelings. On one hand, if you look at our service providers and comparing them to peers at other companies, they make the most. Similarly our airline mechanics make more then their counterparts at other companies. When I started at UPS as a supervisor I made more then all of my college friends who were trying to just find a job let alone getting a job at my pay. Why shouldn't the CEO and COO and CFO make industry average? However, if I had to choose, I think the pay and more importantly the increase he is getting is too much, especially now. My main reason is that at other large companies they may hire a new CEO from the outside and pay a lot of money to get the best person for the job. The best should be paid a large sum. However, at UPS the CEO comes from within. (even those of you who say Scott is an outsider, he;s been with UPS and before that a subsidiary we bought for decades). Over the last decade or so, the pay rate for supv and managers has declined compared to our peers at other companies. We have more turnover of mgmt then we ever have. This is partially due to how the pay of UPS mgmt has eroded over time. The CEO in 20 or 30 years from now, will be someone who is getting hired or promoted now. We should attract the best candidates by paying new mgmt folks at a rate that like the drivers exceeds their peers.

The next CEO and future CEOs may be hired into that position from outside the company. Don't see why the Board would do that but stranger things have happened.

If we all constantly complain that our mgmnt is out of touch and bringing down the company, than why allow them to work their way up to CEO? I have no problem with an outside hire. Company can't continue to think the same way for 100+ years. For all the aggravation employees of this company had to endure the last few years it did result in a boatload of profit. That is the CEO's job. Davis made half of what Brett Favre did last year. Who had the better year?

Why because UPS stock rallied back during a bull market? It was almost impossible to lose money in the stock market in 2010. I wouldn't say that is a good CEO, just good timing when he got the top spot. I don't think it says anything about his skill or impact.

The raises the executive level management have taken are downright evil. The price keeps going up on our services and the customer gets less service in return every single time. I have more than one pickup account that are FURIOUS with UPS because they raised their prices and are now talking about record profits in 2011. This company is sinister and their greed is absolutely limitless and beyond normal human comprehension. Start taking your lunch and breaks, stop running all day -- quit cheating for management, it only makes their greed get worse.

Last edited: