UPS claimed this to be brake failure

over9five

Staff member
"..he did use the hand brake but it didnt help."

They use a tranny EBrake(the handbrake does NOT activate the wheel brakes) to save money. They are basicly useless to stop a fast moving vehicle.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm surprised the driver wasn't blamed for this accident. Under the old "340" training methods the IE came up with, a complete pretrip includes checking the lugnuts to see if they are loose and looking for brake fluid leaks, which is in reality almost impossible to do. About the only pretrip I see anybody do anymore is to make sure the back door is closed before they leave the building!

dragracer66

"..he did use the hand brake but it didnt help."

They use a tranny EBrake(the handbrake does NOT activate the wheel brakes) to save money. They are basicly useless to stop a fast moving vehicle.
It's got nothing to do with saving money!!! The transmissions we use are designed to have a hand brake setup, except for the ford P-10's they have a totally different setup. Even if the e-brake was on the wheel's it still would'nt stop a loaded moving truck. I'll bet when they take it apart they will probably find brake shoes are real low,and when that happen's the wheel cylinders pop out and then brake fluid pour's out thus resulting in a loss of a brake pedal. If it was rear disc's same thing the pad's were way low and on brake application the piston's in the calipers popped out and fluid escaped thus resulting in no to low pedal. If this truck wasn't wriiten up for any kind of brake grinding in the dvir book prior to the accident they may go after the driver.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
a8-1.jpg

driver getting off interstate coming down ramp..cant stop..Three vehicles were taken out..

In the background, are those two jets flying by or highway lamp fixtures?

upsdude

If this truck wasn't wriiten up for any kind of brake grinding in the dvir book prior to the accident they may go after the driver.

According to the mechanic (UPS) I spoke with this was a straight up wheel cylinder failure. This mechanic said the quality of parts UPS is buying is getting worse as time goes by. He used my truck as an example. With each PMI he is having to replace the calipers. He also said the clutch assemblies are junk. Granted, a driver that rides the clutch will cause premature wear.

I don't think many drivers realize how much crap UPS mechanics deal with on a daily basis. Like drivers, the company expects the mechanics to get them in and get them out in super human fashion.

Thanks for the job you guys do!

A

Anon

if you have a failure of any kind, especially if it involves third party liability, see how fast those filed DVIR books disappear.
I wouldn't put it past them, but if it happened to me and I was able I would definitly take possesion of the book and show to the officers that it was wrote up if that was the case.

dragracer66

According to the mechanic (UPS) I spoke with this was a straight up wheel cylinder failure. This mechanic said the quality of parts UPS is buying is getting worse as time goes by. He used my truck as an example. With each PMI he is having to replace the calipers. He also said the clutch assemblies are junk. Granted, a driver that rides the clutch will cause premature wear.

I don't think many drivers realize how much crap UPS mechanics deal with on a daily basis. Like drivers, the company expects the mechanics to get them in and get them out in super human fashion.

Thanks for the job you guys do!
Thank's upsdude.....And you are a 100% correct the part's they buy are junk. I chased a car last week twice for the same thing. A night mechanic put on a new slave cylinder and the next day I chased it because it failed, that night the mech changed it again and I chased it again the next day. They cut corners on parts so they can save a buck but in the long run they are paying me to chase it while the driver sit's and deliver's nothing. Where's the saving's?

I`ve personally seen DVIR`s disapear after an accident. In pkg the guy next to me was talking to me about how many times he`d written up his parking brake only to have it signed off as ok to use. He was at a delivery,going out the back, with the brake on and in proper gear. He came out of the storefront for another armfull and the truck was gone. It rolled downhill thru a parking lot across a street and into a parked car across the road in another lot. Along the way two other driven cars glanced off it with minor injuries to their drivers. UPS had the truck on a lift and the mechanic found both a burnt parking brake as well as clutch showing both were engaged the entire time. UPS fired the driver for a rollaway. I was talking to a sup about this and pointed out my friend had written this up with ok to use as the response. Next thing I know I`m in the big office with the mgr and labor rep showing me a blank DVIR book telling me I was wrong and threatening me with termination by lying to get the other guy back. I told them to take their best shot as I had personally seen the original books,also I told them if I was fired the first place I`d go would be to the lawyer representing the accident victims and while I was there see if he handled wrongfull termination suits as well. I was told to go run my route and heard nothing for a week and a half. Came in on monday and there was my friend back to work. He said they had reviewed the case and brought him back. We went after his back pay,also bringing up our knowledge of the book switch and eventually got that also.

dragracer66

The next time a mechanic sign's something off and you feel it's still not right go to the shop and tell the supervisor to sign the book (ok to use) if they don't tell them that your not driving it. You would be supprised what kind of a reaction you get when a supervisor has to put his name on something that he know's may or may not be right. (Hint) most of the time a mech sign's something "ok to use" mean's they will get to it when the pmi come's up or when they get time. Trust me I've seen it and had to represent mechanic's before for doing it.

hoser

Industrial Slob
"Where's the savings?"

........on paper.
It's not so much on paper, it's in the flawed means of measuring productivity. PPH on sorts is based on the last trailer unloaded, not how late the employees are there cleaning up the 8 ft piles of unsorted boxes in front of each trailer, for example.

over9five

Staff member
"with the mgr and labor rep showing me a blank DVIR book "

Did they investigate this? Someone needs to lose their job, and it's not the driver..

trickpony1

If drivers really want to protect themselves when they write up serious problems with their vehicles, try these suggestions:

1)time stamp the yellow copy, if you have access to a timeclock in your area, then photocopy it for your records or;
2)have another driver countersign it or;
3)have a supe countersign it (we all know this isn't gonna happen).

Teamster251

PSST Drvr Local 251 PRORI
I find it hard to believe this guy didn't lose his job. I can hear management ask "Why didn't you use your parking brake to stop?" I'm glad to see some centers(obviously this guys center)do understand there are such things as unavoidable accidents. Of course I do believe UPS lawyers will be spending quite a bit of time in court trying to settle lawsuits from those drivers.

Amazing response, well maybe not that amazing you didn't have the balls to post your name etc.

Why should someone lose their job for a desidedly "unproventable accident" the resluts of which coming from mechanical failure.

Also the last time I checked the parking brake is for parking and not designed for stopping a loaded package car at speeds relative to taking a freeway offramp.

Lastly UPS lawyers are paid to work on these situations, thats why they retain them. They get paid where there in court of not.

Let's hope and pray for the speedy recovery of all those injured in this "accident"

Keepingthemhonest

Bring'n sexy back
Amazing response, well maybe not that amazing you didn't have the balls to post your name etc.

Why should someone lose their job for a desidedly "unproventable accident" the resluts of which coming from mechanical failure.

Also the last time I checked the parking brake is for parking and not designed for stopping a loaded package car at speeds relative to taking a freeway offramp.

Lastly UPS lawyers are paid to work on these situations, thats why they retain them. They get paid where there in court of not.

Let's hope and pray for the speedy recovery of all those injured in this "accident"
Where was I for the handing out of resluts?:tongue_sm

A

Anon

What does it matter if I post my name or not? You seem to be the only one that cares. When I said I'm surprised the driver didn't lose his job it meant just what I said due to how UPS treats their employees in situations like this. I'm sorry but in UPS world there is really no such thing as a "unpreventable accident" as they will find flaws in anything a driver does if they feel the need. Also stated above someone said he did try to use the parking brake to try and stop the vehicle and I commend the driver for that at least trying it as most people may not even think of it. Last my screen name is "Johnny" I have not been able to use it since the forums changed some time ago,so there you can have my balls.
P.S. I also hope for a speedy recovery of all injured.
P.S.S. Teamster251 how's your pension situation by the way? Us in C.S. are doing great LOL. In our building out of 200 drivers maybe 10 are hardcore Teamsters. The rest think they SUCK!