UPS Contract Proposals Set

FAVREFAN

thats interesting... I never saw any raise other than the regularly scheduled split raises.
Not sure what that other post was about but when the part-time starting wage went from $8.00 up to $8.50, I'm pretty sure we all got it. It was so long ago I can't be sure though. It would be nice if that were to happen.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I say UPS goes to a FT 4-day work week as a top proposal. ;)

Four 10s for drivers, Four 10s for 22.3.

It would be a win/win for the company and union, less injuries and accidents, less cost (excessive OT) and, more time with family for worker w/ less OT (which is a loss)

However, the union brass would never entertain that.

Last edited:

1080Driver

It would be a win/win for the company and union, less injuries and accidents, less cost (excessive OT) and, more time with family for worker w/ less OT (which is a loss)

I've said this for a long time; we easily put in our 40 hours in 4 days. At this rate, I'd rather work 4 long days & have 3 off.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

I've said this for a long time; we easily put in our 40 hours in 4 days. At this rate, I'd rather work 4 long days & have 3 off.

LOL

1/2 the drivers who need all the overtime will have to refinance their mortgages with the 4 day/ 40 hour workweek

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
hall has been the architect of all the 9.5 language you have seen in the last few contracts, including the triple time which is unprecedented. He's smart as a whip. He'll be the first one to tell you that the only way to "solve" the 9.5 problem is to force UPS to let you come in & shut down at 9.5 hours and that just isn't going to happen. He's got a pretty tough balancing act between trying to protect our overtime while catering to the people who don't want it (and even worse the ones who want it when it's nice out & cry the loudest when it's summertime).

We have drivers curfewed in Kansas.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Doesn't save the company money because you need more drivers. If we all work four days someone needs to work the fifth. If paying us 45 an hour was costing the company profit it would stop tomorrow.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Company officials acknowledged that its employees are the best in the industry and deserve the best pay and benefits. But they complained about rising health care costs, increased competition and the global recession
Here we Go !

MtlSphere

With more than 300,000 employees it is statistically impossible to devise work rules that make all the employees happy. The company knows this and uses it to their advantage. The union seeks a one-size-fits-all contract and the company seeks gray area. I am a 32 year employee. My greatest concern is excessive overtime. The spirit of the language reflects that every employee wants to work. As a result time-off language is vague and contradictory across the articles. In the same vein the union never takes the position that a member can refuse work, such as bringing the car back at 9.5 and shutting it down. Instead the language, in effect says, work'em all you want...it's just gonna cost ya. With the hope that the cost will become too great to pay and result in reduced over-time. Let's be clear...this won't happen. Because any alternative to working us excessive overtime will always be more expensive than paying our wages and grievance penalties. Read that as we're cheap labor and don't doubt it. If there were a more cost effective way rest assured the company would use it. So, a fundamental change is required to reduce overtime. Just what is that fundamental change? Hell, I don't know. We have a contract that states we are not to work in excess of 9.5 hours a day. In our building you have to opt-in for that protection and only after you have worked more than three over 9.5's in one week! It takes three more over 9.5's in a week before you can file a grievance. That's six days over 9.5 before you can begin to think about relief. I, for one, want to be able to file on each and very day I work more than 9.5 hrs.

CharleyHustle

If there were a more cost effective way rest assured the company would use it. So, a fundamental change is required to reduce overtime. Just what is that fundamental change? Hell, I don't know.

When you hired in 32years ago, was every full time employee only working 40 hours a week? I can understand that individual locations may have differing work loads, but where I'm at, 32 years ago 9.5 hours was a light day. I've never seen in the time I've been here that overtime wasn't part of the equation for delivery or feeder drivers. Actually, I think in the transportation industry as a whole and trucking in general, overtime is pretty much standard fare. It all boils down to putting another truck, and another employee driving that truck with all the costs involved on the road. In my experience, its never been easier than right now, thanks to 8hr requests and the current 9.5 language to reduce your overtime. Now some may want to reduce their overtime further, and that is fine, but if you want "fundamental change", you might want to try another industry altogether.

air_dr

What I don't fully get is if it is so much to the company's advantage to keep giving OT to existing drivers rather than to be hiring additional drivers, wouldn't it then also be to the company's advantage to have as many people as possible working full time in the hub as well? OK, I realize a 22.3 combo person at top scale makes way more than the new hire at 8.50 or $9.50, but wouldn't there be tremendous interest at say creating a whole lot of FT inside jobs in exchange for some concession on the inside full timer wages?

Being a PM air driver, with what I am hearing about how it is better for the company to just pay overtime in general, I am wondering if someone is going to decide one day that it is somehow cheaper to have my route covered by a full timer.

If anyone has a better sense of how all this works than I do, I would be interested in hearing what he has to say.

Skooney

Our local negotiated 4 10's into the 22.3 jobs as an addendum. And let me tell you it's been nothing but a mess. The company has completely abused and taken advantage of a lack of language, which is fairly typical of Local 959 here in Anchorage. It needs strong language or you end up in the disaster that we have. I'd strongly recommend you think twice about this.