UPS Contract to be re-negotiated?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Re: Current Result

I obviously don't know the locals nationally like some here. Any idea why Wisconsin and Minnesota are hugely for this contract (and supplement) while the rest of the central region seems pretty skeptical.

Because in the areas within Central States it's easily passing, such as M-SP and Milwaukee, FTers already have Central States health insurance. In areas where it's easily failing, such as much of OH and MI, FTers are currently within company-controlled plans.

An Ohio example:
In Cleveland, FTers already have Central States insurance and 407 passed it 390-195.
In Cincinnati, FTers are in company-controlled insurance and 100 rejected it 74-766.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
So does this mean they will be renegotiating the master? Or just the supplements and riders?

They're only required to re-negotiate the supplement & rider, but TDU is suggesting that the underlining problems for rejection lie in the master, therefore it must be renegotiated as well, since it cannot be ratified without the supplements & riders being approved.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

I obviously don't know the locals nationally like some here. Any idea why Wisconsin and Minnesota are hugely for this contract (and supplement) while the rest of the central region seems pretty skeptical.

We bust our butts here in our small Center in WI. We are getting a raise, free healthcare and hopefully the pension bump effects our local. 9.5, harrasement, and technology aren't really a concern. We already have union healthcare.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Current Results - (Renegotiations???)

We have central states it didn't pass anywhere near the margin that Minnesota and Wisconsin passed by. Lots of other places have CS didn't pass anywhere near what those two states did. Not to mention looks like the central as a whole will go down.

Re: Current Results - (Renegotiations???)

SoCal is the only region to see a surge in voting. I would bet many of those "new" votes came from PT.
Come on PTers voting. We all know PTers are not in involved in union issues as much as Fters. Don't get me wrong the lifer PTers are. There is not many of them. Most PTers are in for short, then they try to go FT. If the company was going to say 6 off the street for every 1 hired in the bldg. then we would see 60% to 75% of the company voting. That's all they want. To get better then what they have now.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

Come on PTers voting. We all know PTers are not in involved in union issues as much as Fters. Don't get me wrong the lifer PTers are. There is not many of them. Most PTers are in for short, then they try to go FT. If the company was going to say 6 off the street for every 1 hired in the bldg. then we would see 60% to 75% of the company voting. That's all they want. To get better then what they have now.

I'm not refuting that as a whole, PTers failed to return their votes. If they did, this contract would've easily been defeated.

I'm asserting that in Southern California, PTers had a higher-than-average vote return. It's the only region on the country to have sustained a surge in total voters over 2007 -- in fact, most every other region had a decrease -- and the most logical explanation is an increase in PT votes, rather than a 100% turnout among FTers. TDU devoted heavy resources toward PT NO votes in SoCal, PA & Louisville.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So does this mean they will be renegotiating the master? Or just the supplements and riders?

They're only required to re-negotiate the supplement & rider, but TDU is suggesting that the underlining problems for rejection lie in the master, therefore it must be renegotiated as well, since it cannot be ratified without the supplements & riders being approved.

I feel like this was a pretty smart way for the minority to get what they want. Most assumed the national would pass so reject your supplement and get the changes you want that way.

rod

Retired 22 years

I don't know about other centers in Mn. but my old one shows absolutely zero unity when it comes to the Union activites anymore. Those working now are all "yes" people who would rather let management walk all over them rather than stand up for their rights. I haven't talked to one person still working in the last few weeks who didn't think the new contract was the greatest thing since sliced bread. They all whine about how many hours they have to work and how much management is doing Union work but nobody files a grievance. The old place has gone to Hell and I'm sorry to say I don't feel the least bit sorry for them.

I'm not refuting that as a whole, PTers failed to return their votes. If they did, this contract would've easily been defeated.

I'm asserting that in Southern California, PTers had a higher-than-average vote return. It's the only region on the country to have sustained a surge in total voters over 2007 -- in fact, most every other region had a decrease -- and the most logical explanation is an increase in PT votes, rather than a 100% turnout among FTers. TDU devoted heavy resources toward PT NO votes in SoCal, PA & Louisville.
They where half right. It all happened on a local level. Healthcare should be on a local level any way. It just made halls job easier to put 140,000 in CS. Well he is going to have to work for his money now.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

I don't know about other centers in Mn. but my old one shows absolutely zero unity when it comes to the Union activites anymore. Those working now are all "yes" people who would rather let management walk all over them rather than stand up for their rights. I haven't talked to one person still working in the last few weeks who didn't think the new contract was the greatest thing since sliced bread. They all whine about how many hours they have to work and how much management is doing Union work but nobody files a grievance. The old place has gone to Hell and I'm sorry to say I don't feel the least bit sorry for them.

Since the changes in health care didn't affect them, they likely YES dolling over a $3.90/hour raise over the next five years. I'll bet that's more than the equivalent what 90% of working Americans will receive over the next five years -- and unlike the FT UPSers in MN, they'll be paying more for their health insurance & related costs.

But you're right, I won't feel the least bit sorry for a UPS driver that voted for a contract that will pay him (per IBT average) $94,000/year & no-cost benefits.

They where half right. It all happened on a local level. Healthcare should be on a local level any way. It just made halls job easier to put 140,000 in CS. Well he is going to have to work for his money now.

We'll see how this plays out. I still believe Hall can throw a band-aid at affected employees -- e.g. $1000 signing bonus -- and it'll be approved, with significantly fewer (NO) people returning their ballots.

browned_out

That is dead on. They put it on the master because they thought it would be a sure thing.

opie

Maybe the supplements who rejected the contract, can be lumped together into a new and better plan...Better than Teamcare, and hopefully equivalent to what we get now. There are other issues too, like the four year progression. I wonder if any local/supplement will try to keep the three year progression. I'm sure it is another issue that will be discussed when renegotiating the supplements.