UPS Contract to be re-negotiated?

I feel like this was a pretty smart way for the minority to get what they want. Most assumed the national would pass so reject your supplement and get the changes you want that way.
I agree with you 100%. If the master failed but all the locals past. It would have been a weaker message then the other way around. I think this is good. Because the locals that voted yes can just take what they where given. And now we can get down to biz with the negotiations. Let round two will begin.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Re: Current Results - (Renegotiations???)

This could backfire on us two ways. Shippers could jump out on us and we'll never recover paying volume or they can lock us out for a good long while with the technology they have in the major hubs and centers. I don't honestly see UPS coming to the table quivering...well...maybe quivering with rage.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Hopefully this is a bit of a wakeup call for upper ups mgt.....we don't mind working hard but there is a limit of what people can do without totally breaking down..

ZJ NOMAD

SoCal is the only region to see a surge in voting. I would bet many of those "new" votes came from PT.
yup part timer 7 years i voted NO! Just looking out for my future after I pay my dues. H needs to fight harder for our TA.

rpoz11

Re: Current Result

Because in the areas within Central States it's easily passing, such as M-SP and Milwaukee, FTers already have Central States health insurance. In areas where it's easily failing, such as much of OH and MI, FTers are currently within company-controlled plans.

An Ohio example:
In Cleveland, FTers already have Central States insurance and 407 passed it 390-195.

Correct. This is where the company bought their yes votes.

Last edited:

rpoz11

I'm not refuting that as a whole, PTers failed to return their votes. If they did, this contract would've easily been defeated.

I'm asserting that in Southern California, PTers had a higher-than-average vote return. It's the only region on the country to have sustained a surge in total voters over 2007 -- in fact, most every other region had a decrease -- and the most logical explanation is an increase in PT votes, rather than a 100% turnout among FTers. TDU devoted heavy resources toward PT NO votes in SoCal, PA & Louisville.

PT'ers were informed.
Maybe not as many as you prefer to believe.
Do note that more FT'ers here were informed as often as possible as the information was defined.
Do not underestimate the JC42 FT'er who chose to listen, become better informed, & chose to act, discuss, and participate in his/her future!
We are all here to understand our position regarding all of this.

Just as TOS has pointed out, the next round of discussions pertaining to our Local's representatives to its members shall get very interesting very soon.
Can't wait to hear what my BA has to say now!

Delivered

IBT Constitution Art XII section 2 page 92.. ."If any Local Union believes that a master agreement
proposal will deprive its involved members of better
existing conditions of general application to all such
involved members of the Local Union, it may appeal to
the General Executive Board, which must give an
answer to the appeal before the contract approval votes
are sent out to the involved members. The General
Executive Board shall have the final authority to determine whether such alleged better general conditions
shall be continued or shall yield to the overall gains of
the proposed master agreements. Unless mutually
agreed to, no Local Union shall suffer any economic
loss. Any such appeal must be filed by the Local Union
prior to the mailing of the proposed agreement to the
involved members for ratification. The term “economic
loss” refers to wages, health and welfare and pension
benefits, or other conditions of employment which
directly impact on a member’s earnings."

ZJ NOMAD

I don't know about other centers in Mn. but my old one shows absolutely zero unity when it comes to the Union activites anymore. Those working now are all "yes" people who would rather let management walk all over them rather than stand up for their rights. I haven't talked to one person still working in the last few weeks who didn't think the new contract was the greatest thing since sliced bread. They all whine about how many hours they have to work and how much management is doing Union work but nobody files a grievance. The old place has gone to Hell and I'm sorry to say I don't feel the least bit sorry for them.

Right on old timer, I want to be just like you. I dont let my self from management, I play their little game every day I step foot in that hub, if thats what they want, I don't brown nose the supervisors either unlike my other teamster brothers, their noses probably smell like dooo dooo by now.

The way I see it Rod is like this, my hard work day in day out - speaks for itself, I work very hard for my money,and for this company - just like many others do as well - so why should we be kissing arsss to management. I say management should be kissing our arssssees, since we are the one's that come up with the good numbers.

Oh and your right there is no unity 99% of our shop stewards endorsed a yes vote, while most of the pt - ft file and rank voted NO. Not to mention stewards in my area are all chummy chummy with management - so it makes it very hard to keep the good fight rolling, now a days stewards seem to agree with everything management says. Well not me I will keep on fighting for my rights, and keep my dignity strong.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Right on old timer, I want to be just like you. I dont let my self from management, I play their little game every day I step foot in that hub, if thats what they want, I don't brown nose the supervisors either unlike my other teamster brothers, their noses probably smell like dooo dooo by now.

The way I see it Rod is like this, my hard work day in day out - speaks for itself, I work very hard for my money,and for this company - just like many others do as well - so why should we be kissing arsss to management. I say management should be kissing our arssssees, since we are the one's that come up with the good numbers.

Oh and your right there is no unity 99% of our shop stewards endorsed a yes vote, while most of the pt - ft file and rank voted NO. Not to mention stewards in my area are all chummy chummy with management - so it makes it very hard to keep the good fight rolling, now a days stewards seem to agree with everything management says. Well not me I will keep on fighting for my rights, and keep my dignity strong.

Regardless of the outcome, its pretty clear that the COMPANY was able to force the teamsters to divide us in HALF.

Just look at the numbers. 50 something approval percentage in many locals.

That tells you that we are NOT unified. As a brotherhood, we are finished with these kinds of numbers. When half of us are against the other half, regardless of who's right, WE BOTH LOSE.

In my local, of the votes returned, 80% of the members rejected the T.A.

That was pretty high, but, our vote count was not nearly representative of the total members in our local. Over 5000 votes did not come in. Whether or not they actually voted, got lost or never received a ballot is something we will never know.

Even with an 80% rejection, some stewards were running around attempting to convince everyone to vote yes, because thats what they were told to do by our principle officers.

What a slap in the face to them all.

Now, with the western supplement being rejected, Article 30 section (B) will have to be re negotiated or "WE" the members will NOT approve the supplemental under any circumstances!

No more dog and pony show from Andy M, Ron H or Randy :censored2:.

They'd better read the handwriting on the wall and stand up for the members in the new negotiations!

Its too late to think about themselves. For H in 396, the talk amongst the pkg and feeder drivers is removal regardless of the new outcome.

"WE" will rebuild our unity, even if it means replacing those principle officers who allowed us to be divided in the first place.

Peace

TOS

Local 572 Socal we voted this crap down, PT unity , FT drivers were always talking smack about making so much that they trashed the ballot.. believe it PT's had a big say in Cali I wore my Vote No shirts and got my sort involved.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Local 572 Socal we voted this crap down, PT unity , FT drivers were always talking smack about making so much that they trashed the ballot.. believe it PT's had a big say in Cali I wore my Vote No shirts and got my sort involved.

All I can say on behalf of local 396 members is thank you for standing up and being counted.

Peace

TOS

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'

Because in the areas within Central States it's easily passing, such as M-SP and Milwaukee, FTers already have Central States health insurance. In areas where it's easily failing, such as much of OH and MI, FTers are currently within company-controlled plans.

An Ohio example:
In Cleveland, FTers already have Central States insurance and 407 passed it 390-195.
In Cincinnati, FTers are in company-controlled insurance and 100 rejected it 74-766.
Local 344, which encompasses most of Wisconsin is NOT a participant in Central States healthcare or pension funds. We have had union run healthcare for all FTers since at least 1982 which has been administered wholly by my local. Overall very good quality healthcare with minimum out of pocket costs. Both our health and pension funds are financially stable. Whether the TA passed or not, it would have had no effect on our healthcare so I can only assume the majority of YES votes were for non health and welfare reasons.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Maybe the supplements who rejected the contract, can be lumped together into a new and better plan...Better than Teamcare, and hopefully equivalent to what we get now. There are other issues too, like the four year progression. I wonder if any local/supplement will try to keep the three year progression. I'm sure it is another issue that will be discussed when renegotiating the supplements.

Our supplement (Upstate/West New York) was defeated and it had nothing to do with the healthcare as we are already covered by a union plan. I have to think the language on coverting feeders runs to 4x10 and the requirement to be both feeder and package qualified in order to change classifications may have had something to do with it. I don't see these as major stumbling blocks and predict our supplement will be accepted the 2nd time around.

stink219

So is there silence from stink and 407?
Some supplements or riders will be renegotiated. But TDU paints a picture that the master contract was rejected in their headline. "14 supplements or riders may be renegotiated!" doesn't sound as good or create as much hysteria as "UPS Contract to be renegotiated!"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Stink, would you please set the record straight for those of us who are not as familiar with the process as you are? What is the status of the master agreement at this time? Will it be ratified as is or it will it be adjusted based upon the results of the adjustments of the 14 rejected supplements? I know that if it were only 1 or 2 supplements in question that the national would be approved and those locals affected would continue to work under their existing supplement until a new one can be approved. Will the national be held up until all 14 supplements are approved? What effect, if any, will this have on the negotiations at 705/710?

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny

Our supplement (Upstate/West New York) was. defeated and it had nothing to do with the healthcare as we are already covered by a union plan. I have to think the language on coverting feeders runs to 4x10 and the requirement to be both feeder and package qualified in order to change classifications may have had something to do with it. I don't see these as major stumbling blocks and predict our supplement will be accepted the 2nd time around.

And back to 30 and out any age. The raises we are still back on. Progression still at 3yrs

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Current Results - (Renegotiations???)

You will never see 30 and out at any age---our pension fund is broke. Progression is a national issue, not a supplemental one.