Ups contract update

quamba 638

"Unfortunately, until all of the supplements and riders have been approved, the wage increases, benefit increases..."

Wait, wait, benefit increases?

tourists24

I don't know why but the jist of what I got from that letter was "it doesn't matter if your'e unhappy its over" my question is. What are they going to do when riders keep getting voted down? I understand some may pass because people want there raise but not all 18. So honestly someone with some union knowledge tell me what happens then?
that's my point.... a lot of people are very unhappy and the international is basically saying "you don't know how good you got it", so if you don't wake up you are gonna be sorry.... a VERY dangerous strategy

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Once again:
Of course you see that. It's funny how people can see what is already fixed in their heads. You ask to be informed then hate the response.

Did you hear,"or else you'll be sorry!!"?

No I heard an Ultimatum. "You won't be getting anything until you take what we give you.....and like it!"

Coldworld

60 months and counting
there was talk that many votes didnt get picked up from the post office..is there any truth to this or was it a rumor. Im sure it is too late now but was there a way to include those votes into the final tally? Who picks up the votes from the post office anyway?

RealPerson

Say what?
If it is comparable under the current TA, then why are they working to make it comparable... LOL
We WANT the SAME......

"The International believes members will find that it is an excellent health care plan and that the benefits are comparable to those they had under the company plan"

"However, the National Negotiating Committee will be working with the TeamCare trustees and administration to make improvements in areas that members were most concerned with. In the end, this will make TeamCare a comparable plan to the UPS company plan"

"Because it was approved by the membership, it is a binding agreement that cannot and will not be re-opened. "

"Now that the new TeamCare plan has been ratified in the national agreement, the International will begin an effort to educate members on its basic features"

Educate the member, so people voted yes, without knowing what was in it???

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Say what?

"The International believes members will find that it is an excellent health care plan and that the benefits are comparable to those they had under the company plan"

They also thought Obamacare was a great idea, full supporting it before they wanted to kill it. Makes me worried.

stink219

Once again:
Of course you see that. It's funny how people can see what is already fixed in their heads. You ask to be informed then hate the response.

Did you hear,"or else you'll be sorry!!"?

You have to at least admit that update kind of sounded condesending....

Accurate emotional connection relies on facial expression, voice intonation, body language, and the sharing of metaphysical energy. The reading of emotions, even when face-to-face, requires practice and frequent checking to see if what you actually heard was meant correctly. Without that feedback, misunderstandings multiply exponentially, and assumptions can become truths before they are truly examined.

AlwaysChafed

"Because it was approved by the membership, it is a binding agreement that cannot and will not be re-opened. "

"Now that the new TeamCare plan has been ratified in the national agreement, the International will begin an effort to educate members on its basic features"

Educate the member, so people voted yes, without knowing what was in it???

I spread the word at two centers and it passed as a yes. Apparently I knew what was going on more than people with the company for 20+ years. Too late now...

Inthegame

there was talk that many votes didnt get picked up from the post office..is there any truth to this or was it a rumor. Im sure it is too late now but was there a way to include those votes into the final tally? Who picks up the votes from the post office anyway?
The pick up process is conducted under the supervision of the Election Officer, authorized by the court ordered consent decree, with TDU and independent observers present throughout all phases of the count. EVERY ballot at the post office is picked up. If ballots come in after the final pick up, they are not counted.

kazranch

and that's exactly what ups wants you to do!! find your own health care, such as the obamacare, do you realize how much money ups would save, and what are they doing to the retirees??!! all I can say is thanks a lot, I gave you my whole working life, and yes we have had very good Ins. but this is what you are going to do to us, now we have to pay, originally it has been $50. a month for retirees, who knows what its going to be with this new contract. if your planning on retiring any time soon you better do your homework!!

quamba 638

Of course the TDU has everything positive to say.

Name calling: This techniques consists of attaching a negative label to a person or a thing. People engage in this type of behavior when they are trying to avoid supporting their own opinion with facts. Rather than explain what they believe in, they prefer to try to tear their opponent down.

Glittering Generalities: This technique uses important-sounding "glad words" that have little or no real meaning. These words are used in general statements that cannot be proved or disproved. Words like "good," "honest," "fair," and "best" are examples of "glad" words.

Transfer: In this technique, an attempt is made to transfer the prestige of a positive symbol to a person or an idea. For example, using the American flag as a backdrop for a political event makes the implication that the event is patriotic in the best interest of the U.S.

False Analogy: In this technique, two things that may or may not really be similar are portrayed as being similar. When examining the comparison, you must ask yourself how similar the items are. In most false analogies, there is simply not enough evidence available to support the comparison.

Testimonial: This technique is easy to understand. It is when "big name" personalities are used to endorse a product. Whenever you see someone famous endorsing a product, ask yourself how much that person knows about the product, and what he or she stands to gain by promoting it.

Plain Folks: This technique uses a folksy approach to convince us to support someone or something. These ads depict people with ordinary looks doing ordinary activities.

Card Stacking: This term comes from stacking a deck of cards in your favor. Card stacking is used to slant a message. Key words or unfavorable statistics may be omitted in an ad or commercial, leading to a series of half-truths. Keep in mind that an advertiser is under no obligation "to give the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth."

Bandwagon: The "bandwagon" approach encourages you to think that because everyone else is doing something, you should do it too, or you'll be left out. The technique embodies a "keeping up with the Joneses" philosophy.

Either/or fallacy: This technique is also called "black-and-white thinking" because only two choices are given. You are either for something or against it; there is no middle ground or shades of gray. It is used to polarize issues, and negates all attempts to find a common ground.

Faulty Cause and Effect: This technique suggests that because B follows A, A must cause B. Remember, just because two events or two sets of data are related does not necessarily mean that one caused the other to happen. It is important to evaluate data carefully before jumping to a wrong conclusion.
[/QUOTE]

You left out hasty generalization!
Wink.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
ya know... the membership passed the national agreement by a small margin... it passed but there is a lot of unrest... that is being ignored.... the international is taking a very risky step in choosing this route....
I do believe the yes vote is binding since the union loves the 50%+1 win strategy. There would be legal ramifications if they reneged on the National by UPS. It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out. But like I said before, I hope they wait till next year to figure out the contract so the retro check will be worth my while. I can live without the .70 for a bit.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
and that's exactly what ups wants you to do!! find your own health care, such as the obamacare, do you realize how much money ups would save, and what are they doing to the retirees??!! all I can say is thanks a lot, I gave you my whole working life, and yes we have had very good Ins. but this is what you are going to do to us, now we have to pay, originally it has been $50. a month for retirees, who knows what its going to be with this new contract. if your planning on retiring any time soon you better do your homework!!
You can blame UPS all you want for being business savvy, but the real blame lies with Obama and the liberal left who thinks/thought this is such a great thing. It's the height of naivety to think that businesses wouldn't protect themselves or take financial advantage of Obamacare. UPS is dickish for doing this since they have a choice, but the almighty stock price dictates what the board does. I personally think executive business leadership is criminal and should be illegal. Only an owner should be able to make what they do. They put little to no skin in the game. Once Casey died, the ownership should have went to either the employees or sold to another person. There's no way Scott Davis is worth 25 times what a driver makes.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You can blame UPS all you want for being business savvy, but the real blame lies with Obama and the liberal left who thinks/thought this is such a great thing. It's the height of naivety to think that businesses wouldn't protect themselves or take financial advantage of Obamacare. UPS is dickish for doing this since they have a choice, but the almighty stock price dictates what the board does. I personally think executive business leadership is criminal and should be illegal. Only an owner should be able to make what they do. They put little to no skin in the game. Once Casey died, the ownership should have went to either the employees or sold to another person. There's no way Scott Davis is worth 25 times what a driver makes.

I was thinking maybe a 100 times but that's just me.

And what he actually makes! LOL

Jackofalltrades

Accurate emotional connection relies on facial expression, voice intonation, body language, and the sharing of metaphysical energy. The reading of emotions, even when face-to-face, requires practice and frequent checking to see if what you actually heard was meant correctly. Without that feedback, misunderstandings multiply exponentially, and assumptions can become truths before they are truly examined.

So I should basically stop reading books because I won't be able to gain an emotional connection to the authors words?

Drink Craft Beer

Like I said before, letting the thousands that are already on the teamster healthcare plan vote on whether the thousands on the UPS plan stay on that current plan was wrong. As you can see the healthcare is the biggest concern of many, but of course not a concern to those already under the teamster plan. They don't have to worry about possibly finding new doctors who will accept the new provider of coverage etc...

stink219

So I should basically stop reading books because I won't be able to gain an emotional connection to the authors words?
Not at all. My point is that Two different people reading the same book might interpret the words completely different. Some might see the letter as just information. Others might see the letter as a complete slap in the face.

brown_trousers

I do believe the yes vote is binding since the union loves the 50%+1 win strategy. There would be legal ramifications if they reneged on the National by UPS. It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out. But like I said before, I hope they wait till next year to figure out the contract so the retro check will be worth my while. I can live without the .70 for a bit.

Its true that they should have aimed for more than a 51% vote. But after the voting takes place, the results must be honored. That is the whole basis of a democratic vote!

It would be a complete breakdown of the voting process if they could just reverse the results of a vote because they didnt like the outcome. If we feel that 51% is not adequate, we need to change the voting process to require a supermajority instead, but until we do make that change, we need to respect the majority vote on our TA and move forward with resolving supplement issues, not dwelling on the NMA issues that have already been passed

Jackofalltrades

Not at all. My point is that Two different people reading the same book might interpret the words completely different. Some might see the letter as just information. Others might see the letter as a complete slap in the face.

I don't think its a slap in the face. However it could have been written more tactfully. Especially when the objective is to bring our brotherhood together. Imo they're just giving tdu more ammo and that hurts our union because tdu is clearly trying to divide us.