UPS debt?

It's getting closer to the contract so it's time to start buying everything they need now. When we settle it a year early again they will come out with some new evil service that won't be covered and we will all be doomed for another six years.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Can someone please tell me how UPS went from a debt free company to now being 6.7 billion in the red??
Scary!
I've been with the company 38 years and UPS has never been debt free that I can remember.
The debt is larger now than I can remember it and the reason is very obvious and simple ... pension funding and costs.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I've been with the company 38 years and UPS has never been debt free that I can remember.
The debt is larger now than I can remember it and the reason is very obvious and simple ... pension funding and costs.

I don't think that excuse is going to work in 2 years !

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Are these costs going to magically disappear in 2013?

UPS spent $6B to buy out Central States and just spent another $1-2B on another pension related item.

I guess it was not too obvious ... please don't confuse the issue with facts Upstate.

YET, every contract in my career they give us a raise !
PLUS, this company has made money in the 2nd great depression off treating their employees like dung !
IN CLOSING, There is good debt and bad debt, and UPS has used their 5 seeing habits to steer away from bad debt!

Am I missing something MENSA executives ?

P

pickup

Is the purchase of Over-Nite which is now UPS freight part of that 6.7 billion tab?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
YET, every contract in my career they give us a raise !
PLUS, this company has made money in the 2nd great depression off treating their employees like dung !
IN CLOSING, There is good debt and bad debt, and UPS has used their 5 seeing habits to steer away from bad debt!

Am I missing something MENSA executives ?

I doubt if any UPS executives read anything on this site.
I was trying to provide a real and accurate answer to the OP.
If you just want to vent and otherwise appear ignorant, that's OK with me ... that's what this site is for.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Is the purchase of Over-Nite which is now UPS freight part of that 6.7 billion tab?

Not directly but if UPS had not spent that 1.25 B then perhaps the $6.7 B could be that amount less. I would never question going into debt to buy an national LTL/FT company.

P

pickup

Not directly but if UPS had not spent that 1.25 B then perhaps the $6.7 B could be that amount less. I would never question going into debt to buy an national LTL/FT company.

Well, I agree with the first statement. The second one... Well let me ask you this , is UPS freight at this point in time making money for the company?

I can imagine, that the first few years after the acquisition were money losing ones due to "learning by trial and error", those years followed by the great recession and here we are today. So do you know if ups freight is adding to the coffers or like an aging mistress tucked away in a 2nd story luxury apartment, is she worth less than what she is costing?

Well, I agree with the first statement. The second one... Well let me ask you this , is UPS freight at this point in time making money for the company? I can imagine, that the first few years after the acquisition were money losing ones due to "learning by trial and error", those years followed by the great recession and here we are today. So do you know if ups freight is adding to the coffers or like an aging mistress tucked away in a 2nd story luxury apartment, is she worth less than what she is costing?
o don't know about all that but 100 women out of 100 on my route think I'm 100% sexier that the ups freight guy who has the same area.

JonFrum

According to UPS at the time (2008), the $6.1B paid to Central States would be offset by a $2.3B reduction in income taxes. The remaining expense would be minimal in 2009, and by 2010 and beyond, the move would actually make UPS money(!!!) because the new pension plan would be so much less expensive. So any Central States debt should be ancient history by now.

Remember these UPS charts??? . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
It goes to prove that UPS will try to make it look like their losing money while they have already screwed all of their employees (union and non-union) !!

The next 2 years are a growing period with low rates and favorable banking ! If UPS is losing money by contract time, they would deserve it by then. OH by the way, Scott Davis will have already flown away in his golden parachute !! BOO HOO HOAKSTER

iamupser

Grease Monkey
Just think of all the $ we're saving closing Innoplex, and I'm going on record now, when Salt Lake Customer Care gets offshored to India! Join a Union NOW! ;)