UPS Delivers ... Oh, Never Mind

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS Delivers ... Oh, Never Mind - Motley Fool
I recently argued that UPS will turn out to be the best performing stock in 2010. More than 1,700 of you cast votes agreeing with me, making (in the first round of voting, at least) UPS the most popular pick out of a field of 13 lucky contenders. (AAPL) eventually took the prize, narrowly beating out Silver Wheaton (SLW).

UPS bulls will tell you that the reasons to own this company are its record in innovation; its leveraging of supply-chain expertise through its logistics business; and its flanking attack on FedEx and Staples (SPLS) with the new online printing venture. And, of course, there's its use of "mobile shipping" as described in its ballyhooed references to the iPod, iPhone, and Research In Motion's (Nasdaq: RIMM) BlackBerry in this week's release.

As for me, I'm just impressed with UPS's handling of the basics: Keeping costs down. Leveraging revenue growth over fixed costs. Getting the margins moving back up. Block and tackle, UPS. Block and tackle.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I'm thinking it's all a big numbers game. Hide this here and that over there. What they don't know won't kill them.......................until they find out.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm thinking it's all a big numbers game. Hide this here and that over there. What they don't know won't kill them.......................until they find out.
Not sure where you are going with that Steve but you can't hide costs. The P&L doesn't lie.
The numbers are a leading indicator as to whether a Business Manager is on track to meet Profit and Loss goals but just like your bank statement at the end of the month ... it is what it is.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Not sure where you are going with that Steve but you can't hide costs. The P&L doesn't lie.
The numbers are a leading indicator as to whether a Business Manager is on track to meet Profit and Loss goals but just like your bank statement at the end of the month ... it is what it is.
ARGH, hate that saying. What I'm saying is there are things that are hidden, (tucked away if you will), that won't come to light till a "real" audit is done. There may be more waste than is being reported, so as to make the company look a little bit more profitable than it really is, though, this again is JMHO, DO YOU HEAR THAT CORPORATE/MANAGEMENT?

bluehdmc

Isn't creative accounting one of the things that caused the economic "meltdown"? Counting non-performing loans as assets, and valueing properties for the estimated value as opposed to true market values or something like that?