UPS delivery trucks stand out from the rest!

satellitedriver

In the town I used to deliver, only two people could make "U" turns. The UPS driver(me) and the Chief of Police.
Funny,
In Gilmer, Tx.
A cop would not let me park my pkg car on the town square, he said I had to park in the middle of the street. No joke, I parked there everyday, blocking traffic, and watched him write tickets to people that got belligerent that I was blocking traffic.
Gotta love small towns.
BTW;
If you ever visit Gilmer, Texas, on the square, there is a hamburger joint.
No frills. Damn good burgers.
$4.95 gets you a burger, Coke and a potato chips.
Family business since the 40's, and still is the same.
In this little joint you can look upon the Courthouse steps where Elvis played for a small crowd, in the early 50's.
(Big claim of Fame in a small town.)
It was 18 rears ago that I delivered that area, and I went back on a sentimental journey, just a few months ago.
Man, it was great. I pulled in and parked on the square right in front of Joe's.
Joe was sitting on the curb with a 90+ yr old man. I got out of my truck and they both remembered me. We shook hands and the elder had to take his leave.
Joe cooked me up a burger and we talked. On the walls are old newspaper clippings and I saw the face of that old man being honored for 40 years of service to the city and the paper clipping was 20 years old.
It was poignant for me.
I remembered that old man, from my delivery days, he was proud and strong.
He told me ,back then, that he was not a black man, just a man.
I gained respect for him,and was returned in kind.
Sorry, I went off on a tangent, but it was great to spend an hour in a true Mayberry, RFD.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I thought it wa a great story. Thank you for sharing it. I think it portrayed a bit of americana that is present throughout the country. We all have our little bits of heaven that those in other parts of the country don't get to see and appreciate. We should have more of this. Like Cementups's "How's the View" or Stug's "Where, Oh Where, is my Diad". Stories like yours are what makes the world go round as far as I am concerned. I don't know where Gilmer is but I will look it up and if I ever get through there I will remember your story. :happy2: And look for the hamburger stand. :happy-very:

rod

Retired 22 years
I once was talking to the Chief of Police in the small town I delivered to for 25+ years. (he was looking for a set of golf clubs he had ordered). A car pulled in behind me (I was double parked) and the C.o.P. told the guy he had to move it. The guy started crying about how come UPS can double park and he couldn't - without batting an eye the C.o.P. told him that UPS had paid for a "speciial $1,000 double parking permit" and asked him if he would like to purchase one. Nothing like delivering in a small town.:wink2: I also knew all the State troopers in the area and they were really friendly to me. One in particular liked to try to embarrass me by screaming at me to "move faster or move that damn brown truck" over his P/A speaker if he passed me in town- especially if I was double parked.

M

Mike23

Cops in Calgary rarely issue tickets. They're contracted to some security company. I've been asked by them to move my car as it's in a no parking zone. I tell them no but if they wish to continue the discussion I'll be parked illegally around half a block from here in another minute or two.

I take pride in getting a parking ticket. Maybe it's a weird Calgary UPS thing? I know my sup congratulated me on my first one.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
I take pride in getting a parking ticket. Maybe it's a weird Calgary UPS thing? I know my sup congratulated me on my first one.

I'm the same way. Here in Regina the parking nazi's rarely issue tickets to couriers. It's usually the newbies who do.