ups discussions

Holydriver

What should we be making per hour in your opinion if we didn't have this huge percentage decrease in our raises that you speak of?
I personally think 4 years to top rate is a big one. But even worse is the lack of any sick/personal/vacation days in the first year. I understand the idea of putting in your time to earn your keep, but for an employer that demands so much physically PLUS the excessively long hours, not allowing someone time off for a year is crazy.

Also, in a time when having insurance is a requirement in order to be a law abiding citizen, the fact that the company doesn't offer insurance for a year is outrageous. The two incentives to work are insurance and money, and the company doesn't offer insurance in a time when it's a legal requirement? That's ridiculous

I personally think 4 years to top rate is a big one. But even worse is the lack of any sick/personal/vacation days in the first year. I understand the idea of putting in your time to earn your keep, but for an employer that demands so much physically PLUS the excessively long hours, not allowing someone time off for a year is crazy.

Also, in a time when having insurance is a requirement in order to be a law abiding citizen, the fact that the company doesn't offer insurance for a year is outrageous. The two incentives to work are insurance and money, and the company doesn't offer insurance in a time when it's a legal requirement? That's ridiculous
Many places don't offer insurance. One of the main reasons you have to wait so long for insurance is because people abused it.
They would get a part time job at UPS, get all of their medical stuff taken care of.... Then they would quit.

Holydriver

Many places don't offer insurance. One of the main reasons you have to wait so long for insurance is because people abused it.
They would get a part time job at UPS, get all of their medical stuff taken care of.... Then they would quit.
I figure that is a big part of it, but a 3 month probationary period seems a little more reasonable.

oldngray

nowhere special

Exactly the same reasons why Obamacare failed. People would wait until they needed to see a doctor before getting insurance then drop it when they no longer needed it.

By The Book

I agree with you that 4 years to top rate is about 2 years too long. The hourly rates for a new driver have gone up in that time so there is some movement on wages there. As for it being even worse about the sick/personal/vacation days, I don't think many if any companies offer this to their part time employees.

I agree with you that 4 years to top rate is about 2 years too long. The hourly rates for a new driver have gone up in that time so there is some movement on wages there. As for it being even worse about the sick/personal/vacation days, I don't think many if any companies offer this to their part time employees.
Don't forget pension.

Holydriver

Maybe not part time, but this policy is for full time as well

By The Book

Maybe not part time, but this policy is for full time as well
Yes, you would be correct.......this coming from a 30 year member, who is also a steward. It's hard to watch the younger drivers do what I do for a whole lot less. How long with UPS for yourself and what do you do?

Last edited:

Orion inc.

I like turtles
There are only 15 employees which includes the owner. In feeling pretty safe. You should try experiencing this sort of life sometime. Take a week off and work at a job elsewhere that week just to get a feeling of the good life
Oh trust me, I have the good life. Been there , done that.

I'm set.

Better hope that small business never goes under.

ArcherUTR

UPS's goal is to divide us through wage, insurance, and paid time off progressions. Give the senioritied voting members mostly the status quo while taking bits and nibbles from the new guys. Once we are spread out, we will not be strong enough to make a stand.

The part time pay rate was and still is atrocious and is reflected in how many :censored2:s are given about the packages.

Carry on.