UPS Driver Air Lifted

I heard that during the flooding in Wa State a driver in the Tumwater center was airlifted from his package car because he got too deep into the water and couldn't go anywhere. Anyone from Wa State have any more info on this????

brownrodster

Wouldn't surprise me. There is massive flooding up here. But most of us obey the road closed signs.

If it's a true story I'm sure we'll hear about it at PCM tomorrow morning. I cannot imagine having to explain that one to the center manager and DM.

I'mTheMan

Due to many road closers that were informed in our hub, we had to put all eastern washington NDA volumes to BFI as well Vancouver, Wa and Portland to BFI too, and have them split and sort it. It'll be flown out the next early morning for eastern washington volumes to get it there and delivered on time. As far as Vancouver and Portland, it was sent to ONT to resort it and have it flown to PDX. So it looks like aircrafts are carrying extra volumes due to flood in the areas. Same as last year that happened. Right now there's over 60 roads are currently closed and most area i-5 and mountain pass I-90 is currently closed at this time. It sounds like mother nature is fighting it over many of us who resides here in Wash. State.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Wouldn't surprise me. There is massive flooding up here. But most of us obey the road closed signs.

If it's a true story I'm sure we'll hear about it at PCM tomorrow morning. I cannot imagine having to explain that one to the center manager and DM.
We hear this saying here all the time, "If you can't get out, don't go in.".

brownrodster

It's carnage up here. All highways into NW WA are closed.

I'm bummed because My route was too nice yesturday. Didn't get to see any major flooding. Delivered everything. But there will be routes bringing back half or more of their loads.

Oh come on now. This thread is full of lies. Wescaddie has proven you guys in Washington shut down at the drop of a hat. You`re probably making this up so you can take more time off.

Yes I am kidding.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

There is a time and a place when road closed signs are put up. The driver may not have been on a road that was closed, rather got into a flood that just came over a crest and flooded. And then they closed the road. Flooding can happen in a heartbeat. Lest we be judgemental before the facts.

smf0605

Oh come on now. This thread is full of lies. Wescaddie has proven you guys in Washington shut down at the drop of a hat. You`re probably making this up so you can take more time off.

Yes I am kidding.

Wescaddle came to mind for me too when I watched the news this morning.

brownrodster

There is a time and a place when road closed signs are put up. The driver may not have been on a road that was closed, rather got into a flood that just came over a crest and flooded. And then they closed the road. Flooding can happen in a heartbeat. Lest we be judgemental before the facts.

There is no heartbeat flashflooding up here. Water was steadily rising over a period of time... We were warned all over the news before the flooding even started. Everyone knew it was coming. That driver was just a :censored2:.

I've been a peak helper the last 3 years and this year they got an extension for helpers from the union for 15 days because of the all the flooding conditions other than air volume they are expecting huge amounts of volume next week but the extension is over so they are negotiating with the union again but my driver thinks the union wont give them another extension so he said they might have to pay us utility driver wages which is somewhere from $15.00 to $17.00 he thought instead of our measley $8.75

Bulkhead

I know that during the '07 flood a driver out of Chehalis center (which is just south of Tumwater center) had to be air lifted. Apparently he was told to bring it in and was given instructions on the safe route back to the hub, but chose to take a "short cut" and got stranded.

Perhaps this is the driver that Yellowbus has heard of... unless there is someone else that got flown out this year that I have yet to hear about.

diesel96

Re: UPS Driver Air Lifted

By the name of this thread, I was expecting to read about a driver involved in an accident being flown to a trauma center, instead, sounds like the driver should have been dropped on his head from the helicopter....All right, not dropped on his head....but here's your sign :stupid:

over9five

Staff member
Re: UPS Driver Air Lifted

By the name of this thread, I was expecting to read about a driver involved in an accident being flown to a trauma center.....

Me too. There's been a lot of misleading thread titles lately! (Some are quite funny!)

UPS Driver Being Air Lifted = because of flooded roads = flooded roads not being able to accomadate feeder trucks = mass volume getting to center when roads clear = ups willing to pay $20.85 for a driver helper.