UPS driver *almost* hit by lighting in rain storm Friday

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Clarification is needed in this thread: some of ya'll have some people who range from pretty insensitive/clueless to downright sadistic in nayire on your center's management team. However, don't fault the company for that. I was trained (and re-trained over the years) that when lightening is present we should find suitable shelter and wait out the storm, if we deem it unsafe to continue. At the next mornings' PCM the oncar supe or center manager will acknowledge the extenuating circumstances leading to the previous days' numerous drivers being overallowed, and if conditions are better that day says we need to have a better day to put it behind us. If similar weather is expected that day, for all intents and purposes he'll say, "Do your best." It's what any reasonable person will do. For all their flaws, I believe there are more reasonable people in lower management than unreasoning, sadistic clueless fools.

In additional, just as there are bad examples in management, there are drivers who will abuse the "I don't desk safe" to milk the clock for all they can. This leads to the problems with managememt. Afterall, if one's safety is not endangered-to a reasonable degree-they'd be expected to work. Just because you can see lightening from the storm three counties over doesnt mean one's life is "endangered." Guys who do this should be called out just as much as the sadistic or clueless managers and supervisors.

oldngray

nowhere special
Clarification is needed in this thread: some of ya'll have some people who range from pretty insensitive/clueless to downright sadistic in nayire on your center's management team. However, don't fault the company for that. I was trained (and re-trained over the years) that when lightening is present we should find suitable shelter and wait out the storm, if we deem it unsafe to continue. At the next mornings' PCM the oncar supe or center manager will acknowledge the extenuating circumstances leading to the previous days' numerous drivers being overallowed, and if conditions are better that day says we need to have a better day to put it behind us. If similar weather is expected that day, for all intents and purposes he'll say, "Do your best." It's what any reasonable person will do. For all their flaws, I believe there are more reasonable people in lower management than unreasoning, sadistic clueless fools.

In additional, just as there are bad examples in management, there are drivers who will abuse the "I don't desk safe" to milk the clock for all they can. This leads to the problems with managememt. Afterall, if one's safety is not endangered-to a reasonable degree-they'd be expected to work. Just because you can see lightening from the storm three counties over doesnt mean one's life is "endangered." Guys who do this should be called out just as much as the sadistic or clueless managers and supervisors.

Verbally in a PCM management may make a comment about the weather but there in nothing in writing and there will be no asterisk next to your over allow due to weather. In a couple of days any mention of weather will be forgotten and all that will matter are the numbers on paper.

Indecisi0n

il_fullxfull.429786215_to5z.jpg

FilingBluesFL

So this morning, the management team made ABSOLUTELY not one single reference to the health or well-being of the employee that had to go to the ER for 6 hours the day before yesterday.

So me being the sarcastic butt-hole I am, I spoke up at the meeting, during the safety portion

"Any safety tips regarding lightning today?" Nothing

"Hey, so no one almost got struck by lightning on Wednesday?" Nothing

"NOBODY WENT TO THE ER ON WEDNESDAY??? EVERYBODY IS OK? ANYBODY ALMOST GET STRUCK BY LIGHTNING? HULLO? NOTHING????"

It just amazes me, every time.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Why haven't you complained to your district or regional office? Point out the concern that someone has gotten hurt and could be killed by this seemingly dangerous directive, and some drivers have mentioned (even if it is only on the BC and not in your center) going to OSHA and/or filing a lawsuit. Try not to be confrontational, though, or it will appear like you are trying to be a prick, rather than having any genuine concern.

FilingBluesFL

Why haven't you complained to your district or regional office? Point out the concern that someone has gotten hurt and could be killed by this seemingly dangerous directive, and some drivers have mentioned (even if it is only on the BC and not in your center) going to OSHA and/or filing a lawsuit. Try not to be confrontational, though, or it will appear like you are trying to be a prick, rather than having any genuine concern.

Well, this is for him to take as far as he wants to. Being the kind of person he is, he's just going to not do anything about it. It's too bad, he's got a good case to put a thorn in their side on their real attitude towards us little employees.