Ups Driver attacked by negligent owners pit bulls

CharleyHustle

I was thinking the other day, after another close encounter with an out of control dog, that we get relentless training on how to deliver (or not to deliver) with dogs in the area and that there is virtually no information for dog owners on how to restrain their animals when getting a delivery. State laws govern these encounters so some may vary. For my state, delivery persons have a legal right to be on a homeowners property and it is the dog owners responsibility to restrain their animal.

Perhaps as an online community here on BC we could come up with or compose a public service announcement that could be distributed to print and on line media outlets to better educate the general public on how few rights they have when their dog accosts a delivery person.

Ms.PacMan

The worst part about that is, "leaves rustling" never sound like "leaves rustling" for you and I ever again.

That sound makes you instinctively prepare for war.

With all due respect to veterans, it's probably as close to PTSD as I'll ever get.
Omg you are exactly right! I would joke with ppl that I would do ground maneuvers whenever I heard a sound in the grass afterward but it was no joke. That dog was going to take me down by the back of my neck and the incident made me afraid of dogs to this day.

Just curious, how much of a financial settlement did you get from the owner's insurance company?
Never even considered it at the time. The owners were surprised and horrified and put the dog down the same day. Had the dog caused a bigger injury or if the owners had acted differently I might have thought about it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Never even considered it at the time. The owners were surprised and horrified and put the dog down the same day. Had the dog caused a bigger injury or if the owners had acted differently I might have thought about it.

$3K is where they usually start, with a high of $10-15K if you need minor cosmetic surgery, not including paying all of your medical bills and lost wages. If your injuries require more than that the settlement will be much higher.

clean hairy

Cant win for losing.
There was a thread awhile back about a driver cracked an aggresive dog over the head, and the public wanted him fired.
defend or dont defend yourself when possible, the driver loses.

Overpaid Union Thug

Cant win for losing.
There was a thread awhile back about a driver cracked an aggresive dog over the head, and the public wanted him fired.
defend or dont defend yourself when possible, the driver loses.
"The public" consists of many people that actually believes the propaganda about pitbuls being safe because they aren't the ones that have to walk onto the pit bulls' properties.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
"The public" consists of many people that actually believes the propaganda about pitbuls being safe because they aren't the ones that have to walk onto the pit bulls' properties.
Pit bulls are the "assault rifles" of the dog breeds. Lots of hysteria, lots of media B.S. and hype and emotion, with little basis in fact. You could take a standard anti-gun argument calling for magazine restrictions and assault weapon bans, and cut-and-paste the word "pitbull" in place of the word "assault rifle" and it would be just as inaccurate and biased. I have been dealing with pitbulls running loose on their owners property for over 27 years now as a UPS driver and I have never once had a problem with one. I'd much rather deal with a pit bull than a German Shepherd or a Chow. It all boils down to how law-abiding and responsible the owner is.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

There are plenty of breeds of dogs that have the size, the teeth, the muscles and the temperament of pit bulls.

A dog is a dog is a dog.

Any dog is only as safe as the human in charge of it. Unfortunately, for pit bulls, they tend to have a draw in lower income dwellings, for whatever reason, and seem to bring everything that comes with that. Maybe it's the dog-fighting thing, maybe it's the 'bad-assed' look.

Whatever, pit bulls aren't anymore dangerous than dogs of a similar size. What seemed to have happened, was you got a bunch of thugs and morons who took a liking to pits, and predictably, mistreated dogs did what mistreated dogs do.

The media, always looking for something that made their job easier and more sensational, rode the pit bull frenzy into the ground, So much so, that politicians, even more lazier and dumber than the media, passed laws, in many cities, that actually banned people from even owning pit bulls.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Now wait. Can pit bulls attack and do great harm? Absolutely. But what about German Shepherds? Shheet, ask those people marching with MLK. Rottweilers? Damn right. Boxers? Bites AND slobber. What about that big old, gentle Bull Mastiff? All the way to your ER, fella.

Well wait. What dog breed--statistically--bites the most?

No, it can't be.

Poodles? Yep, that's right, those soft, happy poodles.

Sum britches probably has a name like Toby, Maggie or Princess. Yeah, well guess where Princess just chased you off to?

That's right, to the guy with the antibiotic shot and the fresh stitches.

Hmm, you don't seem to see a lot of poodle bans, do you? Has there ever been a poodle ban? Not in these United States.

So what's the difference between a pit bull and a poodle?

Maybe a rap video?

Ha, finally, a correlation between low income, dirtbag Americans and the mainstream media.

Although they deserve each other, it seems a shame to drag the noble pit bull down to their level.

And save it, please. I make no assumptions here, and neither should you.

There's plenty of honorable, low income people who don't feel the need to have a abused dog to make up for their 'inadequacies' in the neighborhood.

And there's plenty of mainstream media members who wouldn't stoop to showing a bloody video of....I mean, CNN shows vicious poodle attacks videos....I mean, there are honorable media who show...I say, honest reporters who speak the truth, not sensationalism...I mean.....crap, I just can't make this paragraph find the truth no matter how many channels I click on...

Last edited:

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
you could always jump up on something where they couldn't get to you---------wrong

Yeah, maybe, but I would use my karate training and body slam that pooch off the top of that thing-a-ma-jig, then jump down and put Fido in an arm bar and make him tap out with one of his paws and still get a flawless DR to boot.

Boo-Ya, scratch driver, HOLLA.

MilanFC

I am a veterinarian who has opposed Pit Bulls as pets after decades of sewing up and/or burying their victims. My heart goes out to this man. You will not find a more defensive group of people on the planet then pit bull owners. They will say so many ridiculous things to try and explain the victims away. If I get told by one more pit bull owner that they "might just lick you to death" when they account for 80-90% of all human fatalities from dogs bites in the US when they make up less then 1% of the dog population it is a group of people that clearly never took stats. All dogs can bite, but not all dogs were selected for centuries for their ability to inflict the most damage per bite. You can't undo centuries of non-random selection in a few generations. Take into account that countries that have banned these and other dogs with high human fatality rates have had their dog bite fatality rates plumet in addition to giving law enforcement a solution to end dog fighting. Anyone that really cares for the breed you would think would support a ban on them as it is the only way to end the cruel blood sport that will always surround them. Instead they put their own pet preferences as more important then ending cruelty.

rod

Retired 22 years
Yeah, maybe, but I would use my karate training and body slam that pooch off the top of that thing-a-ma-jig, then jump down and put Fido in an arm bar and make him tap out with one of his paws and still get a flawless DR to boot.

Boo-Ya, scratch driver, HOLLA.

I think maybe you watched too many episodes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles while growing up.

Overpaid Union Thug

Pit bulls are the "assault rifles" of the dog breeds. Lots of hysteria, lots of media B.S. and hype and emotion, with little basis in fact. You could take a standard anti-gun argument calling for magazine restrictions and assault weapon bans, and cut-and-paste the word "pitbull" in place of the word "assault rifle" and it would be just as inaccurate and biased. I have been dealing with pitbulls running loose on their owners property for over 27 years now as a UPS driver and I have never once had a problem with one. I'd much rather deal with a pit bull than a German Shepherd or a Chow. It all boils down to how law-abiding and responsible the owner is.

Not a good comparison at all. An "assault rife" (or any other inanimate object weapon) isn't a living being with mood swings that's capable of getting up on it's own an attacking someone. A dog is. All it takes is for them to feel threatened by a stranger (or even their owners...see first link below) that's walking onto their owner's property or that is already standing right outside the door. Usually nothing will happen. But we aren't talking about usually are we? The driver in the article wasn't usually attacked.

See the links below for a more accurate view of just how dangerous pits, and some others, can be. Even when they are raised well.

There are plenty of breeds of dogs that have the size, the teeth, the muscles and the temperament of pit bulls.

See links below.

A dog is a dog is a dog.
Any dog is only as safe as the human in charge of it. Unfortunately, for pit bulls, they tend to have a draw in lower income dwellings, for whatever reason, and seem to bring everything that comes with that. Maybe it's the dog-fighting thing, maybe it's the 'bad-assed' look.

Whatever, pit bulls aren't anymore dangerous than dogs of a similar size. What seemed to have happened, was you got a bunch of thugs and morons who took a liking to pits, and predictably, mistreated dogs did what mistreated dogs do.

The media, always looking for something that made their job easier and more sensational, rode the pit bull frenzy into the ground, So much so, that politicians, even more lazier and dumber than the media, passed laws, in many cities, that actually banned people from even owning pit bulls.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Now wait. Can pit bulls attack and do great harm? Absolutely. But what about German Shepherds? Shheet, ask those people marching with MLK. Rottweilers? Damn right. Boxers? Bites AND slobber. What about that big old, gentle Bull Mastiff? All the way to your ER, fella.

Well wait. What dog breed--statistically--bites the most?

No, it can't be.

Poodles? Yep, that's right, those soft, happy poodles.

Sum britches probably has a name like Toby, Maggie or Princess. Yeah, well guess where Princess just chased you off to?

That's right, to the guy with the antibiotic shot and the fresh stitches.

Hmm, you don't seem to see a lot of poodle bans, do you? Has there ever been a poodle ban? Not in these United States.

So what's the difference between a pit bull and a poodle?

Maybe a rap video?

Ha, finally, a correlation between low income, dirtbag Americans and the mainstream media.

Although they deserve each other, it seems a shame to drag the noble pit bull down to their level.

And save it, please. I make no assumptions here, and neither should you.

There's plenty of honorable, low income people who don't feel the need to have a abused dog to make up for their 'inadequacies' in the neighborhood.

And there's plenty of mainstream media members who wouldn't stoop to showing a bloody video of....I mean, CNN shows vicious poodle attacks videos....I mean, there are honorable media who show...I say, honest reporters who speak the truth, not sensationalism...I mean.....crap, I just can't make this paragraph find the truth no matter how many channels I click on...

A pit that has been raised by the best owners on this Earth is still one of the most dangerous dogs on Earth.

http://www.dognotebook.com/15-dangerous-dog-breeds-most-likely-to-turn-on-their-owners/

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2014.php

http://www.curiosityaroused.com/nature/top-10-most-dangerous-dog-breeds-based-on-bite-fatalities/

http://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-dogs.php

http://petolog.com/information/articles/most-dangerous-dogs

Being raised well only reduces the likelihood that any dog will attack someone. But the statistics don't lie. You have to remember that when a UPS driver (or anyone else that doesn't live in a household) enters a property they become potential targets. If a dog is already upset then we are more likely to get their attention. A poodle, or any other small weak dog, is nothing compared to pits and the like. I can easily send them flying a good 10 ft via a swift kick with my Timberlands and they ALWAYS leave me alone afterwards. Those little crap eaters (I like to call the small dogs that) are much much easier to deal with and are much less dangerous than pits and the like. Just because crap eaters attack more doesn't make them more dangerous. I'll take fending off poodles every single day of the week over one attack per year from a pit.

I am a veterinarian who has opposed Pit Bulls as pets after decades of sewing up and/or burying their victims. My heart goes out to this man. You will not find a more defensive group of people on the planet then pit bull owners. They will say so many ridiculous things to try and explain the victims away. If I get told by one more pit bull owner that they "might just lick you to death" when they account for 80-90% of all human fatalities from dogs bites in the US when they make up less then 1% of the dog population it is a group of people that clearly never took stats. All dogs can bite, but not all dogs were selected for centuries for their ability to inflict the most damage per bite. You can't undo centuries of non-random selection in a few generations. Take into account that countries that have banned these and other dogs with high human fatality rates have had their dog bite fatality rates plumet in addition to giving law enforcement a solution to end dog fighting. Anyone that really cares for the breed you would think would support a ban on them as it is the only way to end the cruel blood sport that will always surround them. Instead they put their own pet preferences as more important then ending cruelty.

Great post. I think its extremely dangerous for people to be defending pits, or any other statistically dangerous dog, simply based on their own danger free experiences with those dogs. I approach most dogs I encounter the same way. Friendly but not too intrusive and their body language (more so than their yapping) determines if I will go back to the truck for a dog treat or if I can continue to approach the delivery point. With pits (especially), German Shepherds, etc. I honk the horn some more and wait and see if someone at the house will come out. If they are giving me the eye with their mouths shut I don't deliver. If they start acting friendly I will try the same approach I use for smaller dogs.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Every pitbull on my route is already up in the truck by the time I get it parked and they make it really obvious by their body language that they are friendly and wanting a biscuit. The German Shepherds, on the other hand, just stand there and stare at me without the smiling and licking and wiggle-butt mannerisms of a freindly pitbull or Labrador. There are a few Shepherds that I can trust but most of them I dont.

oldngray

nowhere special
Pit bulls can be more aggressive but it all depends on how they were raised. Although even the more friendly ones can get aggressive when they think their family is threatened. It was worse several years ago by irresponsible breeding that did create some unstable dogs but the pit bull craze has mostly quieted down making that go away. Like all dogs you can pretty much tell how a dog will act if you have been around them enough.

theslinger

True story:
During my first year, a small dog tried to bite me, I hit him with my diad on top of the head and he let out a bloody cried that brought out its owners if it hadn't been for other people in the area who witnessed all of this, I probably would have gotten in a physical confrontation with the owners.

After this incident, I thought "what would happen if it were a pit , rot or larger dog?" I know many will not agree with this but I started carrying the box a box cutter they use at the hub to cut through the shrink wrap.

About 2 months ago, I walk into a fenced patio. A couple of young male adults were smoking and drinking. Just as I closed the gate a large blue-nosed put comes from behind the house and starts growling, in a defensive, territorial manner. The young males just started laughing cause they thought it was funny but didn't restrain the pit. As the dog took a couple steps foreword and I took a few back, I just dropped my diad and package, reached into my pocket and brought out my box cutter. Guess what happened ? One of the guys restrains the pit by pulling on its chain. Then the others start yelling, "it's cool, it's cool". All of this happened under 8 secs MAX. With adrenaline still running in me, I told the guy restraining the dog "if that dog would've come closer, I wasn't going to be defensive, I was was going to defend myself and that dog was going to get gutted."

I later talked to the mailman on the route and said the previous courier got bit and they don't deliver there anymore. He actually congratulated me and said hopefully they learn their lesson. I've never gone onto thar property again, I honk, if they don't come out, I NI 1and leave.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The dog absolutely has to know that you will kill it if it tries to hurt you. It has to see a lion staring back at him.
True words, in this case, he had little chance. But my take is blame the idiot parents. If your child is old enough to answer the door, it is also old enough to know that the dogs can get out. Kids should not answer a door, nor should adults who have to fight it out to get out the door. If you are not smart enough to train a dog, not to rush the door, please put a cage beside the door to put them in and lock it before you answer the door. Or ask through the door, "I need a signature, if so let me go contain my wild animal." If they cannot do that, I say leave the door shut, til I return to my truck, then fight your dog off and come to my truck. Doors that only open in, give us little chance. I hold the doorknob shut and we have a conversation through the closed door.
Bit once, never again. By the way, I have always owned large dogs, they do not answer the door with me. They sit when I tell them, they go in the other room when I tell them, they quit barking when I tell them. I am the boss. They are smart, but I am smarter. That is the whole problem, with dog owners, its not the dog.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

If my veterinarian supported BSL, I'd be finding a new vet. I wouldn't bring you a parrot. Bans create euthanasia. Animals put down senselessly out of the thinking you can kill your way into less dog attacks.
A parent that lets their kids answer the door with 2 loose dogs is not doing their job, whether it's pit bulls, Dobermans, Shepherds, Mastiffs, Bull Dogs, or Standard Poodles.
Irresponsibility is the culprit. Period.

Overpaid Union Thug

If my veterinarian supported BSL, I'd be finding a new vet. I wouldn't bring you a parrot. Bans create euthanasia. Animals put down senselessly out of the thinking you can kill your way into less dog attacks.
A parent that lets their kids answer the door with 2 loose dogs is not doing their job, whether it's pit bulls, Dobermans, Shepherds, Mastiffs, Bull Dogs, or Standard Poodles.
Irresponsibility is the culprit. Period.
Pit bulls and all the dogs on the list in the links I provided above should either require a permit and proof that the owners are responsible enough to keep them away from the general public or should all be euthanized. They are way too dangerous and unpredictable. Guns, as I stated earlier, are incapable of acting on their own but are banned or highly regulated while these dangerous dogs (that are living beings that can snap without warning) are not even a concern until it's too late. How does that make any sense?