Ups Driver attacked by negligent owners pit bulls

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I understand what you are saying, but this is a doberman, totally socialized and a threat to no one. And always got a Momma in charge. Thats the problem, not the dog.

Attachments

• CAM02922 - Copy.jpg
    CAM02922 - Copy.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 152
  • CAM02930.jpg
    CAM02930.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 190
  • CAM02939.jpg
    CAM02939.jpg
    800.9 KB · Views: 191

govols019

You smell that?
I've had two Dobermans....two of the biggest babies you've ever seen.

Meanest dog I've ever owned was a black lab...that dog had serious aggression issues. Ended up shooting him.

For the record...I don't place much faith in a website that places a wolf/mix dog below a doberman. That's just stupid.

Just cause it's on the internet doesn't make it true.

TUT

But one persons experience isn't the whole story either. There have been Dobermans that have attacked and funny, I'd say out of all dogs personally they have been the most aggressive towards me, they are guard dogs for a reason. There have been pit bulls that never attacked, 10's of thousands of them and I bet I can find great black Labs out there as well. I doubt I'm telling you anything new here, but you write words as if your small experience is a good sample.

The biggest mistake any dog owner makes is "my dogs don't bite". How can we still believe that with all the stories over the years? Good chance every person here knows of someone who has been attacked, my niece by an Akita. That is why the bigger the dog...

Overpaid Union Thug

I've had two Dobermans....two of the biggest babies you've ever seen.

Meanest dog I've ever owned was a black lab...that dog had serious aggression issues. Ended up shooting him.

For the record...I don't place much faith in a website that places a wolf/mix dog below a doberman. That's just stupid.

Just cause it's on the internet doesn't make it true.
There was more than one link. And I'm sure many, if not most, of the owners of the various dogs that are on those lists said something similar to what you said about yours prior to them attacking someone. Or them. And we all know what they say after......"My dog has never bitten, or tried to bite someone before!".

The fact is that there are lots of dangerous dogs out there and most of their owners have an unwarranted piece of mind about how safe they are. Almost every dog that's attacked, or tried to attack me, were the the owner's "sweet babies that wouldn't harm a fly", or " Just a big baby that'll lick you to death" or any other similar BS. Its getting old.

Just yesterday I wasn't able to deliver an NDA Saver because the girl that was home didn't have the strength to subdue what sounded like three rather large dogs who definitely wanted to taste my flesh. I couldn't see through the glass to well but it looked like she was in a wrestling match with them and got her butt kicked. I was able to tell her to just shut the door before they were able to nose their way out. I haven't always been so lucky. Im sure those dogs were just the family sweethearts though in their minds.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Turns out I know the brother in law of this driver. He told me that the driver is in really bad shape and will have to undergo a number of surgeries. He was also saying that his traumatic injuries are far more serious. He said that had it not been for the residents in that complex coming to his aid he most likely would have bled out and died from his injuries.

He then asked me if the company would ever consider changing their position on allowing us to carry defensive weapons, such as pepper spray. I sadly told him that we are not allowed to carry these due to the liability if we were to use them in an offensive rather than defensive manner.

Johney

I sadly told him that we are not allowed to carry these due to the liability if we were to use them in an offensive rather than defensive manner.
There is a driver in our building who carries pepper spray for this very reason,as far as I know they have never said a word to this person. Openly carries might I add.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
But one persons experience isn't the whole story either. There have been Dobermans that have attacked and funny, I'd say out of all dogs personally they have been the most aggressive towards me, they are guard dogs for a reason. There have been pit bulls that never attacked, 10's of thousands of them and I bet I can find great black Labs out there as well. I doubt I'm telling you anything new here, but you write words as if your small experience is a good sample.

The biggest mistake any dog owner makes is "my dogs don't bite". How can we still believe that with all the stories over the years? Good chance every person here knows of someone who has been attacked, my niece by an Akita. That is why the bigger the dog...
I would never tell anyone my dog wont bite, If they want to meet her, or any one I have ever had, I am there, I am in control, know her body language, and watch her, and have hold of her. This is how I introduced her to a boy with downs syndrome, he was enamored with her. Once she got used to his loudness, his somewhat jerky motions, she was fine. Same with an autistic child. I would assume, although I do not know if this is how they train service dogs.
Any dog will bite. I know that, I am just saying if you have a responsible dog owner, this wont happen. With any dog.
I was attacked by a dalmation rotweiler, I was scared of dogs for years. These dogs that I have been blessed to own, restored me to normal.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There is a driver in our building who carries pepper spray for this very reason,as far as I know they have never said a word to this person. Openly carries might I add.
Pepper spray doesnt work worth a damn on dogs, and if the wind is blowing the wrong way or you are in a confined space it can get in your eyes too. An impact weapon such as an ASP or a 5-cell Mag Light is a far better choice.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
An older driver who retired 10+ years ago, told me he had a weekly bulk resi stop with a bad tempered dog on a chain, and would repeatedly charge and snap on the end of the it. One day as he was delivering the dog broke free and came at him, so he grabbed a nearby shovel and hit him square between the eyes. The handle snapped off leaving him with just a tiny piece and now the dog was completely berserk. He said he had to use the stick to keep him back til he backed his way to the truck and drove away. He still laughs about it to this day.

soberups

I've been dealing with this Doberman for several years now and she is one of the sweetest and most gentle dogs I have ever met. It's in the eyes, if you are a dog person you can see in their eyes whether they will be aggressive or not.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1433916753.514992.jpg

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Pepper spray doesnt work worth a damn on dogs, and if the wind is blowing the wrong way or you are in a confined space it can get in your eyes too. An impact weapon such as an ASP or a 5-cell Mag Light is a far better choice.
Beautiful red doby!!! I have always thought that about pepper spray. Wind blows the wrong way, you are in worse shape than you were.

Indecisi0n

Pepper spray does work on dogs but in order for it to be effective it must be sprayed either in their nose or eyes. Of course this is very difficult to do when a dog is charging or you are running away.

CharleyHustle

I understand people's love of dogs. You bring them into your home and they provide years of love and companionship. They become family members, your "children", your "little babies". Well, you have to ask your self, do you let your kids answer the door to strangers? Do you let your kids roam free and play with strangers? Do you allow your kids to take treats from strangers? Do you allow your kids to accost and injure others who are legally on your property?

Reality is that most dog owners are totally oblivious to any of the above. Until dog owners are made to pay dearly for the actions of their "little babies", incidents like this one will only become more common.

TUT

I've been dealing with this Doberman for several years now and she is one of the sweetest and most gentle dogs I have ever met. It's in the eyes, if you are a dog person you can see in their eyes whether they will be aggressive or not.

Yes, but should they reasonably be able to just stroll right up to your truck like that? I'm pretty respectful with my 10 lb dog doing that (meaning that is a No! signal from me to them) and some just let their big dogs do it. They may know, but you wouldn't normally and they don't really no for 100% certain.

soberups

Yes, but should they reasonably be able to just stroll right up to your truck like that? I'm pretty respectful with my 10 lb dog doing that (meaning that is a No! signal from me to them) and some just let their big dogs do it. They may know, but you wouldn't normally and they don't really no for 100% certain.
I have a rural route. 75% of the dogs on my route are outdoors and free to run on the property, and they all approach the truck like that. I prefer it that way because I can see them and gauge their behavior and temperament before exiting the vehicle. The Darwinian fact about delivering in rural areas is that aggressive dogs that run loose tend to have a very short lifespan. In the city, if your neighbor has a loose aggressive dog that comes onto your property, you have to call animal control and wait for a response. In the country, if a loose aggressive dog is on your property you solve the problem immediately by shooting it.