UPS driver helping out FedEx ground driver

barnyard

KTM rider
This situation was covered when I went to driving school 13+ years ago. The instructor told us that it would be considered stealing and if caught, would be fired and would not get our job back. You are making service on a package and UPS is not getting paid for it. I would quit doing it and never speak of it again.

onestoptogo

I think I'm just going to have to give the FedEx ground guy the bad news. I'm just going tell him that I can't do it anymore. The stop is such a money loser for Ups, but has made thousands for me. I just felt bad that he was going up there for free, since he is paid by the day. The problem is the contractor has saved a lot of money on gas and vehicle mileage and I could care less about him. This is really going to help his turnover rate - five drivers in the last two years.

Notretiredyet

Next time the guy asks, tell him you've been told helping him out could get you fired. It's not worth taking a chance of losing your job by doing someone else's.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Every once in a while I will retrieve and run off a package misdelivered by a competitor if and only if I am going to that stop later in the day. This usually happens at our local college warehouse. Friday I had a package left there by the Post Office that was addressed to a MBE store which I pickup later in the day. I simply put it in the cargo area and then hand it to the staff when I get there. I will sometimes see packages addressed to a college housing complex left there as well----I pick these up as well as I deliver to that complex shortly after doing the college.

I will also take care of some of my regular customers by picking up the occasional outbound competitor package and dropping it off at MBE.

I have never nor would I ever consider running off a competitor package simply because the courier was too lazy to do his/her own job.

What you do is NO different that what he's doing. If he's going to that address already, piling the UPS box on top of the FedEx box isn't taking him but another seconds worth of time. You correcting someone else's misdelivery, or picking up a customers outbound package is the exact same thing.

JackStraw

Did the 1Z on the package match that on the e-release? If so, you have no choice other than to leave the package.
Yes. It was official looking and everything. It also had a disclaimer that it was up to driver discretion whether to leave it or not. Reading between the lines, that tells me that its on me should the pkg go missing.

Johney

What you do is NO different that what he's doing. If he's going to that address already, piling the UPS box on top of the FedEx box isn't taking him but another seconds worth of time. You correcting someone else's misdelivery, or picking up a customers outbound package is the exact same thing.
Don't waste your time. You know that clown thinks he does no wrong.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What I am doing is nothing like what he is doing. I am running off a misdelivery while he is making the initial delivery.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes. It was official looking and everything. It also had a disclaimer that it was up to driver discretion whether to leave it or not. Reading between the lines, that tells me that its on me should the pkg go missing.

The consignee is releasing the company from liability by downloading and completing the e-release.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
What I am doing is nothing like what he is doing. I am running off a misdelivery while he is making the initial delivery.

WRONG!!!! You are both advancing (for free) a package which is to be serviced by our competitor. It's the same thing, even if you're too dense to understand that.

But this is also the same guy to pickup FedEx stuff dropped in a UPS box and goes and steals time to drive it to their hub. What a stand up guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

WRONG!!!! You are both advancing (for free) a package which is to be serviced by our competitor. It's the same thing, even if you're too dense to understand that.

But this is also the same guy to pickup FedEx stuff dropped in a UPS box and goes and steals time to drive it to their hub. What a stand up guy.

Feeders was the right move for you.

some1else

Banned
The only time i touched competitors packages was on a letterbox route. 15 letterboxes a night id always find some mail and a fedex or dhl letter or package. My last letterbox in a big office tower had a ups, fedex, dhl, and mail drop all next to each other and id dump the stuff that was in my boxes each night.

Unavoidable and managment knew i had to do it each night. Taking a competitors package and delivering it? Thats a different game you can and should be fired for that.

I know of a driver that was fired for handing out adverts for his side business as he was delivering. Was warned (suspension)about it and he kept doing it anyway and the termination was not overturned