UPS Driver in Pleasantdale Hub commited suicide,suicide note blamed job stress

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
My business agent told me this morning that an employee with over 20 years service at the Pleasantdale Hub recently hung himself. My BA said he left a note stating that due to the constant harassment from UPS management he could not go on living. My BA further told me that the drivers family contacted UPS and said that if any one in management came to his funeral they would be 'beaten down in the parking lot'

My thoughts and condolences go out to this mans family

clueless

Assuming this happened, taking your own life vs quitting your job? I'm sure this man had legitimate issues with the company, but only someone who is mentally imbalanced would opt for the former. If you feel your choice is to leave your job or lose your life, just quit for Heaven's Sake! I'm sorry--I really do feel for people under tremendous pressure, but this poor soul made the wrong decision.

krash

Go big orange
Yes, this was a true story and a sad one indeed. My thoughts and prayers are with the family. There is no need for the relentless harassment. Some drivers can cope and some obviously cannot.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Try to imagine losing everything you worked for all your life, and living under a rock somewhere if you cannot find a job.
This kind of harrassment can beat a person to the point they have no self esteem. You eventually lose the ability to fight. Maybe this person thought that his family could do better without them.
Mistakenly, depressed people have a different way of thinking/coping than maybe you or I. I have had a few suicides in my extended family. And I can say, I never saw it coming. Some people can only be beat so long, some are not as strong as others. Divorce, financial problems, death of a loved one, loss of a pet, all can be triggers. Some who are already trying to deal with depression turn to drugs and alcoho. Combined with alcohol,and illicit drugs, some of the depression drugs are literally loaded guns. (if not working, and they seldom do for extended periods)
So say a silent prayer for this person, and if its true, be glad you are a strong one.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
There are as many answers to a stressed out employee as there are employees. Look around yourself at work. Some handle stress by cheating the system, the company, or co workers. Some hurt their family or worse, and some may choose suicide. Sad.

clueless

Try to imagine losing everything you worked for all your life, and living under a rock somewhere if you cannot find a job.
This kind of harrassment can beat a person to the point they have no self esteem. You eventually lose the ability to fight. Maybe this person thought that his family could do better without them.
Mistakenly, depressed people have a different way of thinking/coping than maybe you or I. I have had a few suicides in my extended family. And I can say, I never saw it coming. Some people can only be beat so long, some are not as strong as others. Divorce, financial problems, death of a loved one, loss of a pet, all can be triggers. Some who are already trying to deal with depression turn to drugs and alcoho. Combined with alcohol,and illicit drugs, some of the depression drugs are literally loaded guns. (if not working, and they seldom do for extended periods)
So say a silent prayer for this person, and if its true, be glad you are a strong one.

My apologies if I came off as unsympathetic to the poor man. That wasn't my intention. I haven't walked in his shoes and cannot judge him, nor do I want to. I am just saying that if the choice is between your job or your life, in the name of God and all that is Holy--choose your life!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
My apologies if I came off as unsympathetic to the poor man. That wasn't my intention. I haven't walked in his shoes and cannot judge him, nor do I want to. I am just saying that if the choice is between your job or your life, in the name of God and all that is Holy--choose your life!
I did not mean to make you think that you came off as unsympathetic. You did not at all. Everything you said made total sense to those thinking clearly. Why anyone would choose that route is beyond my thought process. Most of us have the fire in our belly, that keeps us alive. We would gladly file grievances, etc, to prove our point, or improve if we can, to get the heat off of us. Most of us just shrug it off and go home. RIP this man who could not and prayers to his family. For comfort and peace.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
suicide is never the answer and always hard on the family, friends, and co-workers. prayers go out to them.

there are places to get help - even at UPS.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear that this happened anywhere, and in my District too. Things get complicated sometimes, there is no way of knowing of all the problems that were stressing this guy out. I wish his family the best.

raceanoncr

R.I.P. Condolences to the family.

Sadly, suicide is, as the old expression goes, "A permenant solution to a temporary problem". Please seek any help available if you see evidence (which may, at times, be undetectable) in you, your family or friends.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Condolences to his family.

Does anyone know if there is any press or media attention about this?

The stress of the job didn't kill him. His ability to handle the stress was the problem. 10's of thousands of us go out and deliver every day under these same conditions. I have no intention of letting these fools beat me.

clueless

I did not mean to make you think that you came off as unsympathetic. You did not at all. Everything you said made total sense to those thinking clearly. Why anyone would choose that route is beyond my thought process. Most of us have the fire in our belly, that keeps us alive. We would gladly file grievances, etc, to prove our point, or improve if we can, to get the heat off of us. Most of us just shrug it off and go home. RIP this man who could not and prayers to his family. For comfort and peace.

That, I think, hits the nail on the head--'thinking clearly'. Yes, we should remember that--for whatever reason--some of us may not be...and someone choosing the permanent solution of suicide over any other path is--for whatever reason--is not thinking clearly. It is truly very sad.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The stress of the job didn't kill him. His ability to handle the stress was the problem. 10's of thousands of us go out and deliver every day under these same conditions. I have no intention of letting these fools beat me.
Sometimes, the people who least suspect it themselves, end up not dealing with the stress. They didn't say,' Hey! I have a grand idea.'

A

alexw08

My condolences to the family. I know how UPS can get inside your head.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbrownhen

May he rest in peace. Prayers to his loved ones, what a terrible time for them.

I have often wondered that it is just a matter of time before the pressure gets to someone in this company, be it management or hourly. I pray that anyone who feels the need to harm themselves or others will not, and seek the help they need to overcome such feelings.