UPS Driver in Pleasantdale Hub commited suicide,suicide note blamed job stress

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
May he rest in peace. Prayers to his loved ones, what a terrible time for them.

I have often wondered that it is just a matter of time before the pressure gets to someone in this company, be it management or hourly. I pray that anyone who feels the need to harm themselves or others will not, and seek the help they need to overcome such feelings.

Every day I fear hearing the terrible news that someone finally snapped under the pressure and decided to "go postal". When and if that awful day ever happens...and I hope and pray that I am wrong and it never does...I will not be at all surprised if it winds up being a management person rather than an hourly. And the "precautions" that UPS is currently taking in my building...which consist of a "no weapons allowed" sticker on the door and an unarmed, minimum-wage security guard wavng people thru a malfunctioning metal detector.... are totally inadequate to prevent such an occurence from taking place.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I am surprised it doesnt happen more.UPS can be a dreadful place to work if you cannot find a place to unwind.Never seeing your family,Ungrateful mgmt,and sometimes unbearable physical pain.I can see how easily a person can be overwhelmed with it all and feel like it isnt worth it anymore.

hdkappler

My business agent told me this morning that an employee with over 20 years service at the Pleasantdale Hub recently hung himself. My BA said he left a note stating that due to the constant harassment from UPS management he could not go on living. My BA further told me that the drivers family contacted UPS and said that if any one in management came to his funeral they would be 'beaten down in the parking lot'

My thoughts and condolences go out to this mans family
my prayers are with his family.i see there point about management.

gostillerz

I'm a reg temp, and got called in to start learning another route with an on-car. He broke down twice, crying about how bad he hates his job, wife left him, etc. Another time during peak he was with me as a helper since mine split. He could barely walk. His knee was messed up and the higher ups wouldn't give him time off for surgery in the summer, but still tried to run packages. I had him drive, and I was the helper. He's a good guy.

I've only been with UPS for 4 years, but we've had 2 really good center manager's out of 3. The 3rd was a yeller, but he was honest at least. I'm in a small center, so that probably has something to do with it.

My point is that this job is stressful for everyone who's involved in normal operations. IE Kids in a cubicle, and those who make decisions to make the shareholders happy make everyone miserable, and cause 90% of the problems, no difference if he's a loader, driver, or center manager.

A

anonymous6

if anyone reading this thread is stressed or depressed ,I highly recommend a book called "Discovering The Laws Of Life" by John Marks Templeton. I read it on a daily basis. It has dozens of chapters only about 2 pages long that are packed with wisdom for coping with our world.

This book has changed thousands of lives. ( it's not preachy )

You can get it for one penny on Amazon.

peace. OP

HULKAMANIA

Well of course they are going to say it wasnt job related stress. Just like sending someone out with a truck with non functioning brakes on a truck, having an accident and calling it an AVOIDABLE accident. UPS expects employees to be upstanding, honest, and full of integrity however the shoe never fits for them.

Prayers to the family.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Sorry to hear about this. No one made any mention about this in the Roswell Hub. I tend to keep my ear close to the rails also and didn't see anything about this till today. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. Anyone that has issues with work, there's free counseling available through UPS sponsored groups. I know a few folks who have taken advantage of it. Anyone wanting to know more about them can PM and I'll gladly dig it up for you.

notagain

We all have stress. We can't satisfy management! They suck. But I do know this guy's fiance had just broken up with him.
my Prayers are for him and his family

sosocal

Try to imagine losing everything you worked for all your life, and living under a rock somewhere if you cannot find a job.
This kind of harrassment can beat a person to the point they have no self esteem. You eventually lose the ability to fight. Maybe this person thought that his family could do better without them.
Mistakenly, depressed people have a different way of thinking/coping than maybe you or I. I have had a few suicides in my extended family. And I can say, I never saw it coming. Some people can only be beat so long, some are not as strong as others. Divorce, financial problems, death of a loved one, loss of a pet, all can be triggers. Some who are already trying to deal with depression turn to drugs and alcoho. Combined with alcohol,and illicit drugs, some of the depression drugs are literally loaded guns. (if not working, and they seldom do for extended periods)
So say a silent prayer for this person, and if its true, be glad you are a strong one.

Because I have dealt with depression and anxiety in my family, I am always very understanding and accomodating when an employee confides in me that they are dealing with these issues. UPS is a tough place- alot is expected from everyone- In cases where it affects work -it does not do the employee or the company any good to have the person working until the episode or issue is managed. In all five cases that I have been involved with the employee returned to work after some time away and came back as a better employee. In most cases there was some easing the employee back into the routine upon return- but in the end the company got a better employee and the individual appeared to have a better outlook and improved coping skills....Prayers go to the family...

mikeups1978

I too have stress on the job because of UPS, and sometimes I say forget it. It's not worth it risking your health. Let it go one ear and out the other. My condolences and prayers to his family and friends! R.I.P. brother!

S

splozi

I'm going to sound like a complete a-hole, but I have no sympathy for this person.

Suicide, on it's own, is one of the most unproductive ways to go.

He could have accomplished so many good deeds while losing his life. This man was selfish.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
i dont have a lot of sympathy for people who commit suicide, should have just quit

inb4 people complain that would be a hassle, you know, compared to freaking killing himself..

Re-Raise

Mental illness is very complicated. Depression is real and I think it is arrogant and shows a lack of empathy for you to sit in judgement of someone who has reached that place in their mind.

barnyard

KTM rider
Mental illness is very complicated. Depression is real and I think it is arrogant and shows a lack of empathy for you to sit in judgement of someone who has reached that place in their mind.

This.

Plus it is a bump from last August and the driver's family may read some of the insensitive comments here. Keep them to yourself.

S

splozi

...the driver's family may read some of the insensitive comments here. Keep them to yourself.

If they are sensitive to the issue, then it is in their best interest not to read peoples' opinions on a public forum.

over9five

Staff member
I agree with all of the last 5 posts. And after considering them all, I have to say I feel most sorry for the ones he left behind. They must wonder every day what went wrong, was there a sign we should have seen? There probably wasn't.

To kill yourself instead of just quitting shows that it was a mental illness. It's just a damn shame he didn't recognize his problem and get help.

R.I.P.

just_a_number

I suffer from mental illness and am getting treatment for my major depression and anxiety...this past jan i almost did the same as our fellow brother...until you live with a mental illness you will never understand what its like to live with mental illness it SUCKS and to work for these ruthless animals does not help..im a 11 yr employee of this nightmare of a company

Johney

I suffer from mental illness and am getting treatment for my major depression and anxiety...this past jan i almost did the same as our fellow brother...until you live with a mental illness you will never understand what its like to live with mental illness it SUCKS and to work for these ruthless animals does not help..im a 11 yr employee of this nightmare of a company
Glad to hear you are seeking help. Hang in there brother things will turn around. I've found in life things seem to go up and down and with a positive outlook they always turn out for the best.If you feel the need PM me I'd be more than glad to listen.