UPS Driver in Pleasantdale Hub commited suicide,suicide note blamed job stress

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If anyone's interested, Freakonomics had a podcast about suicide and I found it extremely interesting. It is a free podcast on Itunes.

Suicide is more prevalent than people think.

upscat

I'm in Corporate and I never heard about the Pdale driver (right down the road) or the Dallas guy.
I guess the big fat guy decided we did not need to know.

you dont think we would advertise these events do you? We had a hub guy years ago who would work 24 hours a day if you let him. Always begging for overtime. would walk the building and try to create overtime opportunities by offering to clean up anything that was out of place in the building. One day he dropped dead of a heart attack. His wife blamed UPS saying we worked him too much. Ugly scene. If someone had gone on this site and claimed that ups worked the guy until he had a heart attack no one from the company would have come on here to dispute anything. The story of someone being stressed to the point of suicide is believable to some so the story gains legs. But anyone who has dealt with depression like I have knows there is much more to suicide then someone feeling job stress.

Future

Victory Ride
Let these tragic,untimely, deaths go for not. Raise your awareness amongst your friends and enemies about suicidal behavior, and try to intervene!

Thebrownstreak

To you and I, suicide seems like the least likely answer for our problems. That is because we have the mechanisms in your heads to deal with such stress. I highly doubt that the stress from the job was the only issue tormenting this poor man. But the stress that comes with this job certainly exacerbated his problems. He did not realize there were options.

A few years ago, a driver in our center also committed suicide. He was having some minor family issues. He also had a gambling problem. What was sad was he called another driver who was his best friend and let him know he had a gun. The poor guy pulled up to the field just at the same moment that he pulled the trigger.

We as a society, far to often, stigmatize those with mental issues. That going for help is some sort of weakness. I feel that those who are able to reach out for help are a lot stronger than they give themselves credit for. So please, I ask you, if you know anyone who is having problems, to reach out to them. Sometimes they just need to know that someone cares.

RIP you poor tortured soul.

Rainman

Its all good.
To you and I, suicide seems like the least likely answer for our problems. That is because we have the mechanisms in your heads to deal with such stress. I highly doubt that the stress from the job was the only issue tormenting this poor man. But the stress that comes with this job certainly exacerbated his problems. He did not realize there were options.

A few years ago, a driver in our center also committed suicide. He was having some minor family issues. He also had a gambling problem. What was sad was he called another driver who was his best friend and let him know he had a gun. The poor guy pulled up to the field just at the same moment that he pulled the trigger.

We as a society, far to often, stigmatize those with mental issues. That going for help is some sort of weakness. I feel that those who are able to reach out for help are a lot stronger than they give themselves credit for. So please, I ask you, if you know anyone who is having problems, to reach out to them. Sometimes they just need to know that someone cares.

RIP you poor tortured soul.
A number of years back a friend of mine looked upset one Friday afternoon. I thought about saying something to him but was in a hurry to get home, figuring it was no big deal. That weekend he put a gun to his head. If I had taken the time to speak to him, it could have possibly made a difference. I didn't make the decision for him, but maybe I could have made a difference. That's something I will never find out. So definitely reach out if you can.

Thebrownstreak

A number of years back a friend of mine looked upset one Friday afternoon. I thought about saying something to him but was in a hurry to get home, figuring it was no big deal. That weekend he put a gun to his head. If I had taken the time to speak to him, it could have possibly made a difference. I didn't make the decision for him, but maybe I could have made a difference. That's something I will never find out. So definitely reach out if you can.
You're not to blame. Just remember that. What goes through someone's mind who has reached the point that ending it just can't be comprehended by most sane people. With that being said, I hope that those in the future try to make efforts to help. A lot of times when you have a feeling something is wrong, there usually is. Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Rainman

Its all good.
You're not to blame. Just remember that. What goes through someone's mind who has reached the point that ending it just can't be comprehended by most sane people. With that being said, I hope that those in the future try to make efforts to help. A lot of times when you have a feeling something is wrong, there usually is. Sorry for the loss of your friend.
I don't feel like I'm to blame, I just recognize the fact that I may have been able to impact his decision had I took the time to speak to him that day.I look at it as a life lesson, that my taking time can have more impact than I might realize at the time. Thanks for your reply.