UPS Driver saves man

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Defiance, Ohio, UPS delivery driver Brian received the UPS Lifesaver Award and Liberty Mutual Lifesaver Award on March 5, 2014, for taking action on Jan. 21 after discovering an elderly retiree who had collapsed in the snow in Henry County, Ohio.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Pr or no pr. , this is exactly what I would have done in this situation, we need to look out for our elderly ,and do what's right. Not look the other way and go about your day because your too busy ,or don't want to get involved. Much respect to mr. McDowell

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If you can't tell, I have a bitterness when it comes to things like using someone's good intentions to spin their company in a good light.

We had a driver who found a kid wondering around outside near a busy street. The driver noticed the kid was in diapers and looked out of place. The child wasn't old enough to really talk, and after spending 20 mins found a house two doors down with a front door wide open. The mother was inside and was startled when the driver spoke out. The mother was blind and thought the child was asleep in his room, he somehow got outside and she didn't know he was missing.

Driver got a call in thanking him for this and a customer concern (positive) The only reason we knew about it and asked him was the concern was piled in with all the other bs paperwork that the sups lay out every morning. Nothing was said at the PCM. Had this been on the news, this driver would have had a parade in the morning.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
If you can't tell, I have a bitterness when it comes to things like using someone's good intentions to spin their company in a good light.

We had a driver who found a kid wondering around outside near a busy street. The driver noticed the kid was in diapers and looked out of place. The child wasn't old enough to really talk, and after spending 20 mins found a house two doors down with a front door wide open. The mother was inside and was startled when the driver spoke out. The mother was blind and thought the child was asleep in his room, he somehow got outside and she didn't know he was missing.

Driver got a call in thanking him for this and a customer concern (positive) The only reason we knew about it and asked him was the concern was piled in with all the other bs paperwork that the sups lay out every morning. Nothing was said at the PCM. Had this been on the news, this driver would have had a parade in the morning.
almost surprised you didn't say driver was fired for stealing time. Spending 20 some minutes looking a house for the kid does seem a bit excessive. Just sayin. You know how they are.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Too bad UPS treats him like a whore to grandstand for PR.
The less you respond to negative.jpg

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I didn't create this environment of bitterness and angst, I just call things how I see them. There are way more yes men that can't/won't speak up, I'm not that person.

sigreq

Who cares the motive for why they did it. He did a good thing, the right thing and he was recognized for it. Just like the drivers in my center you whine when they don't recognize us for a job well done, and you whine when they do.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Who cares the motive for why they did it. He did a good thing, the right thing and he was recognized for it. Just like the drivers in my center you whine when they don't recognize us for a job well done, and you whine when they do.
It's the motives behind the actions I call out, not the actions themselves. Ask Hoax about double standards and UPS.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I don't know much about double standards but if anyone would like to give an example, I am willing to weigh in.
Being from management, I'll give you an underhand toss.

Two people of equal education and work ethic apply for a position. One is a former serviceman, the other is not. The serviceman gets the job and his face is plastered all over billboards as "We endorse hiring veterans, we don't discriminate". As I said before either person I'm ok with getting the job, heck, I'd love to show appreciation to our vets by helping them get hired.

But is it A. Fair to the other applicant he didn't join the military to apply for a position that has nothing to do with it, and B. To parade the one who did as if UPS did something special and we should be proud that he get preferential treatment because he served? Shouldn't everyone get a fair shot? If the other applicant was a minority would that supersede the vet because it's black history month and not Nov 11th, Veterans Day?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I don't know much about double standards but if anyone would like to give an example, I am willing to weigh in.
well since u asked, we were given a PCM by an on road who was on a safety ride on a country route and ran over a dog .......yes he stood in front of group of drivers and said there was nothing that could have been done it was an " unavoidable accident". Was on a safety ride with this same sup a couple weeks later who admitted to me if he wasn't on car it would have not been ruled as such. There is your double standard. Go ahead and weigh in you want photog.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Being from management, I'll give you an underhand toss.

Two people of equal education and work ethic apply for a position. One is a former serviceman, the other is not. The serviceman gets the job and his face is plastered all over billboards as "We endorse hiring veterans, we don't discriminate". As I said before either person I'm ok with getting the job, heck, I'd love to show appreciation to our vets by helping them get hired.

But is it A. Fair to the other applicant he didn't join the military to apply for a position that has nothing to do with it, and B. To parade the one who did as if UPS did something special and we should be proud that he get preferential treatment because he served? Shouldn't everyone get a fair shot? If the other applicant was a minority would that supersede the vet because it's black history month and not Nov 11th, Veterans Day?
UPS was approached by the US government to give preference to veterans when hiring. UPS made an announcement that they were going to give preferential treatment to veterans. They did so. It is good PR to make sure the US government and the public know they do so.
PS - The US government has hired veterans preferentially for decades.

Life is not fair and I almost never answer hypothetical questions especially when the term "fair" is used.

UPS is subject to OFCCC and EEOC regulations that require the hiring of minorities representative to the local population. If a minority is hired to fulfill that compliance, so be it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
well since u asked, we were given a PCM by an on road who was on a safety ride on a country route and ran over a dog .......yes he stood in front of group of drivers and said there was nothing that could have been done it was an " unavoidable accident". Was on a safety ride with this same sup a couple weeks later who admitted to me if he wasn't on car it would have not been ruled as such. There is your double standard. Go ahead and weigh in you want photog.
Who is the double standards being applied to? There are three people involved.

BrownTexas

Had the same thing happen to me. A 5 yr old running down a busy road. Pulled over and he said his mom had left him at his friends but he had a phone and a cord to charge it but the phone was dead. Used my battery pack to charge his phone. Some others stopped cause they saw him walking also and we got the kid back to his mom. Crazy stuff but I made sure to tell management that was the reason I was idle for the 15-25 minutes.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
As great as it was, as heroic as it was.........ALL I can imagine is getting reemed for being over allowed, I know thats just sad but true.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Liberty Mutual sure is nice in this video, every time I've seen them they are huge :censored2:s that won't even say hello back to you.