UPS Driver saves man

brown bomber

brown bomber
can't count how many stray dogs, that I allowed to jump into my cab and drive them back to their home...I knew every dog on my route,..I also knew most regulars by the car that they drove, if I saw them out and about and had a delivery for them, it was taken care of....most of my regulars knew my lunch routine...if they were expecting a delivery,..I'd be behind the shopping center from 1:00-1:30...this is probably a violation of ORION in todays delivery standards...common sense no longer prevails......glad that I'm retired

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
UPS was approached by the US government to give preference to veterans when hiring. UPS made an announcement that they were going to give preferential treatment to veterans. They did so. It is good PR to make sure the US government and the public know they do so.
PS - The US government has hired veterans preferentially for decades.

Life is not fair and I almost never answer hypothetical questions especially when the term "fair" is used.

UPS is subject to OFCCC and EEOC regulations that require the hiring of minorities representative to the local population. If a minority is hired to fulfill that compliance, so be it.
I appreciate your response. As far as addressing posts that use "fair" as a deciding factor, I'm sure you can understand our very work ethic and standards are worded as just that,"a fair days work for a fair days pay." Both management and hourlies agreed to that standard, it's unfortunate that management chooses not to use that in their "partnership" with salaried "bands" that was mentioned in another thread.

I'm sure you can give plenty of examples where reviews weren't given out fairly, work loads, among other things.

oldngray

nowhere special
A couple of times I had to help old people who had fallen down outside. I just helped them into their house and made sure they were OK. I never bothered telling people about it because I didn't care about any recognition.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
It just amazes me the quality of character our co-workers posses. We deserve to hear more attar boys about UPS'ers doing the right thing. However, the cynic in me can't help but think that the only reason UPS honored him was that the media and Liberty Mutual got involved. I can imagine his center manager getting off the phone from Liberty Mutual and saying, "Oh crap! We have to do something nice after we just wrote him up for not being in Orion compliance. "

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
However, the cynic in me can't help but think that the only reason UPS honored him was that the media and Liberty Mutual got involved.

Of course but I don't understand the involvement (if any) of Liberty Mutual in this.
This has nothing to do with safety.