UPS Driver Slang

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Every time some one comes in to the Customer Counter looking for where to report for their interviews , after walking right pass a sign telling them where to go , after they leave I always say " in 5yrs he/she will be my mgr. "

browniehound

we call that an 8 hour day.
Management here calls that a 7 hour plan and 8 hour paid day. They need to make the route an 8 hour plan to comply with upper management's rules. So what do they do? They throw some house calls or an apartment complex on the 24 footer to make it an 8 hour plan. But now they have a 10.5 paid day. How does this produce profits? UPS business philosophy at its finest.

Just leave the damn route alone at 7 hours. You're making money hand over fist with the inherent efficiencies of the other 52 routes in spite of yourselves. Isn't that good enough? The route is what it is and never will produce 8 hours on paper, so why add 15 stops that would take a "regular" drive 35 minutes to do on trace to a guy in a 24 footer that will take over an hour to do after he breaks trace from his industrial park?
It doesn't make any sense except to people in UPS management. Maybe they teach this at Harvard Business School? I'll never know because I'm not smart enough to make those decisions.

We call TP60's a TP60
A removable hitch a stinger.
I call it going on a route cold (after a year in your building) blind in another building.

cino321

Van: 24ft straight truck: Van
Bang out: Call out sick
Flagging: Pretending to deliver packages by sheeting them NI and not actually attempting the package
Cream: Easiest area on your route in terms of delivery
Blown Out: When your package car cannot contain any more packages
Tank: Not giving any effort into finishing the route and letting it become management's problem

kingOFchester

We call it "boning it"

Sent using BrownCafe App

Heard an older driver referring to packages found later in the day for previous stops that need to be attempted "running some bones off".

Anyone ever hear that one?

Also heard "shagging a trip". I am not sure but assume that means taking a trip you have never run out.

BigBrown3605

If my DIAD isn't working in the morning, I ask the dispatcher if they can "cook" me another board......

Easy residential deliveries, we call that "gravy" or "paper route". So when I'm asked to help someone, I ask for their "gravy".

Marne Vet

Doing a trip the first day, with zero training on the area, is called "running it cold". Hate getting sent on any trip cold. Even after 20 years I have still been sent out on crap to do cold, grieved it, and nothing happens.