UPS Driver to face charges?

UPSNewbie

Storey said Taz and Aura usually spend their days frolicking outside the house.

This week, however, Taz is in the care of a veterinarian as the recovers from a blow to the head his owner said was unprovoked.

Storey said Taz, a 65-pound German shepherd, suffered a swollen eyelid and hazed-over right eye after a UPS driver struck the 2-year-old pooch when dropping off a package.

I'm a dog lover myself, but in that video, before the driver's arm was in the follow-through of the smack, the dog looks like it's in full lunge. What was he supposed to do?

I can't tell if they slowed the video down a whole bunch or if the refresh rate on the cameras is slow as heck.

Last edited:

LLTailor

Seems the driver's in a lose/lose situation. Do nothing: The dog could maul the poor guy. Self Defense: Owner gets mad.

Trp, the link is above the quoted portion.
ahhhhh, then why the quoted portion?
Thanks
What a crappy video, for something taken from 9 different cameras you'd think it would be much clearer what happened.
I'd say they either need to keep the dogs out of public access or stop ordering stuff.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
This is my opinion.

Facts:

1) He had a pipe in his hand - He obviously knew there were dogs present.

2) He pulled in so he didn't Leave Himself an Out.

3) He took off even after he struck the dog.

Speculation: (does the owner really know for sure?)

1) He had a cell phone.

2) His truck was running.

3) the dog was lunging at him.

4) the dog was friendly.
We all have heard it before, "Buffy would never bite anyone!"
The woman said in her report, "2 WATCH DOGS"! Thats a hint an a half for your :censored2:. Whether this was a bid or a cover driver, the pipe really tells the story. He went there prepared.
He could have just set the package outside his truck and laid on the horn.
That would have been my choice of action. I'm not siding with anyone, just playing my best Gil Grissam.

705red

Browncafe Steward
If the dog was on a leash this never would have happened! If ups disciplines this guy, no house with a dog outside it should ever get delivered again!

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
You're not talking about a poodle here, this is a German Shepard guard dog. How many of you got the scare of your life when walking to a front door of a resi and finding out there are loose dogs around the house?

What about that statement from the UPS spokesman McMackin about training drivers how to defend themselves (I don't remember this class).

If we lose this case, does that mean we have to get supplemental dog attack insurance?

bigbrownhen

Hard to tell by the video exactly what he had in his hand, I didn't see a diad. I wonder if the owners were home? If they were expecting a package and knew the dogs were out, go meet the driver. I have dogs on my route that are sweet when owners are home but very aggressive when not. If this driver had knowledge of the dogs behavior and brought a pipe, he is in deep trouble. I hope he notified a supervisor of incident when it happened. Whats up with "guard dogs" and 9 cameras. Who are these people? I bet with all that they know when someone comes up the drive. There are still alot of variables to this incident, will be interesting to see how it plays out.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
It's funny, just a couple days ago I was delivering to a house with a German Shepard. He was connected to a clothesline but his leash was held down by a three bags of powder concrete.

Well this dog was a big boy and barking and lunging. As I approached the front door via the driveway, the dog lunged a final time and the leash came out from under the concrete bags.

I nearly crapped myself and ran back to the truck. Luckily the dog could not reach the front porch so I went back and delivered. Very scary seeing a 100lb adult german shepard running toward you.

In the case of the article, we are not suppose to be carrying weapons in our hands. Dog spray(mace) - yes. Biscuits - yes. A club - no. I can see him getting in trouble.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
First off, per the customer, I have always been the first person to have been bitten by their dog. The dog has never ever never been aggressive to anyone in the past. Ever. So always there is no past history of any aggression, just one day, fido gets it in their head they want a piece of the UPS driver.

Right!

Several things.

We have a right to be on their property. They gave us that right when they ordered the package.

They have self proclaimed "guard dogs" running loose on the property. In the video, it shows the dog running up from the rear in classic sneak attack mode. That is a home owners liability and responsibility to protect people there legally from attack.

The driver hit the dog in self defense. Dont know if just once, but once was all it showed. So musta been enough to take the fight out of the dog.

As for the odds, the driver did the right thing to neutralize one, so there was only one other one to be able to attack him. He also used the house to protect his back.

Judging by the video, he knew the dogs were at the home, but did not see them. If you notice, as he is walking up, he is looking forward, not behind him at the dog. So he makes the delivery only to be pinned against the house by an attacking dog(s).

I think he ought to sue the home owner.

d

squirlygirly

Helping out a driver just last peak, was delivering to a house to a man, oxygen tank, home alone, not able to do alot at once, by himself...including keeping his lil rat dog inside while signing for his package.
After he signed and I turn around to leave, this little bastard was right there, growling, yapping, then more growling. This lil bastard had some teeth for a lil rat dog. All the owner could do was, "Just make sure the gate (a baby gate) is closed when you leave." YEAH...OK!!!

"Your gate is the only concern I have while I'm just trying to get on the other side. But while you're yelling at your dog and he's growling, showing that he definitely doesn't approve of me, he'll take the final chance he has to my ankle. Oh no, sir, he didn't break skin but the HEEELLLLL I didn't feel that lil friend--kers fangs and drool on me before I made sure your dog stays in and your gate is locked. Have a :halfdead:day"
(How badly I wanted to say)

And no, it wasn't a regular delivery spot for the driver, either. Otherwise, driver was always quite awesome with neighborhood dogs on his route.

squirlygirly

Just looked at video, couldn't hear it, but no need, actions speak louder than sound ever will in this video.

To The Owners Of Pets EVERYWHERE:

If you know you are expecting a package from someone that will obviously be on your property legally, but unlawful to said "guard dog/s", be sure to restrain your animal until delivery is complete.

In case you didn't know, it is considered a federal crime for us to use your mail box, which I'm guessing is outside of the gated house you appear to live in, as a drop-off for deliveries. I can't imagine the stories your mail guy/girl would have to tell about this animal.

I refer to your dog as an "animal" simply because that is what he/she is. Although I'm sure with a familiar face like yours and wife "it" will always be just a little puppy to you...with one eye.

Sincerely,
Commen Sense

UPSGUY72

I couldn't tell what was in the drivers hand it could have been his DIAD. The driver should win in Court all he has to do is say that he has been bit before by a dog and that the dog was running toward him and he was in fear so he took action to protect himself.

The problen is people think they can let there dog run around there yard becasue they have a invisible fence and not take any responsibilite for what happens. I have stop that if the dog is out in the yard the package get bagged and put just out side the invisible fence.

beatupbrown

I have had this type problem I put not in 1, put in comments dog!!But I have been bitten too hard to say, if he knew the dog was there hell to them not in 1.

backinbrown

respect my authority
I think the dog was coming to say hi were does it show the dog was lunging or attacking him.

not enough proof here for either side i dont here the dog barking i see a dog come up behind him and he swung the pipe

i dont know i wasnt there

some people just hate animals

i am siding with the dog

think what you want about me

browndevil

Just looked at video, couldn't hear it, but no need, actions speak louder than sound ever will in this video.

To The Owners Of Pets EVERYWHERE:

If you know you are expecting a package from someone that will obviously be on your property legally, but unlawful to said "guard dog/s", be sure to restrain your animal until delivery is complete.

In case you didn't know, it is considered a federal crime for us to use your mail box, which I'm guessing is outside of the gated house you appear to live in, as a drop-off for deliveries. I can't imagine the stories your mail guy/girl would have to tell about this animal.

I refer to your dog as an "animal" simply because that is what he/she is. Although I'm sure with a familiar face like yours and wife "it" will always be just a little puppy to you...with one eye.

Sincerely,
Commen Sense
Enjoying your wit. You need a BLOG!:happy2: