UPS Driver to face charges?

UPSGUY72

I'm Glad to see that UPS Corporate Office is standing up for the driver.

Dan McMackin, of UPS corporate headquarters in Atlanta, said the incident is under investigation.

"It is unfortunate that the animal was injured," McMackin said in a statement. "Our drivers deliver over 15 million packages a day. Our goal is to provide service to over seven million daily customers and keep commerce in this country moving. We train our drivers on how to defend themselves in the event they encounter a vicious animal. Our driver was fearful for his safety and did what he thought he had to in order to keep from being harmed."

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
most guys know where the bad dogs are,avoid them! Throwing a bagged pkg over the fence into the yard is stupid and is something I would expect from a postman or a fedexground guy,not a ups person.Indirect the pkg or have clerk post card the consignee.If you find yourself in a dog situationat least whack it with diad or pkg not to kill it just to knock him down.Look around in the springtime and get familier wit the homes witth the dogs.AREA KNOWLEDGE comes to play very well here...

backinbrown

respect my authority
most guys know where the bad dogs are,avoid them! Throwing a bagged pkg over the fence into the yard is stupid and is something I would expect from a postman or a fedexground guy,not a ups person.Indirect the pkg or have clerk post card the consignee.If you find yourself in a dog situationat least whack it with diad or pkg not to kill it just to knock him down.Look around in the springtime and get familier wit the homes witth the dogs.AREA KNOWLEDGE comes to play very well here...

cove
I agree with last half of post

but i am not bagging a 60" t.v. and tossing it.:funny:

and i didn't mean to give anyone the reason to think i was trying for a 100 yard bag and throw:happy2:

But i will in certain circumstances do the bag and throw/TOSS

If shipper is any good pkg will survive and so will i no dog bite

I probably should bring back to clerk i just want to make service as i am the perfect ups employee "joke"

feeder53

ADKtrails
Maybe we should get video cameras in the truck to cover us when we go into the zone, just like most police agencies do. They monitor just about every other thing. Here in military we have cameras that film all engagements. I feel for the driver, the dog and the owner, but there must be some liability by some or all involved.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
cove
I agree with last half of post

but i am not bagging a 60" t.v. and tossing it.:funny:

and i didn't mean to give anyone the reason to think i was trying for a 100 yard bag and throw:happy2:

But i will in certain circumstances do the bag and throw/TOSS

If shipper is any good pkg will survive and so will i no dog bite

I probably should bring back to clerk i just want to make service as i am the perfect ups employee "joke"
i know what you mean,jc penny lands end might give a little toss myself,i love dogs took her to camp last weekend {gets me free munchikins at D.D sanford }

sexyupsman

I tried to find the video but couldnt find it. This is unfortunate for the dog and UPS. I hope that this was not a vicious attack on the drivers part. But the dog could have been hostile towards the driver. What was he supposed to do? Let the dog tear him up? Sad. You guys have to deal with other drivers on the road, customers being rude, pedestrians and dogs. I guess UPS is supposed to save the world next?:dissapointed:

backinbrown

respect my authority
I tried to find the video but couldnt find it. This is unfortunate for the dog and UPS. I hope that this was not a vicious attack on the drivers part. But the dog could have been hostile towards the driver. What was he supposed to do? Let the dog tear him up? Sad. You guys have to deal with other drivers on the road, customers being rude, pedestrians and dogs. I guess UPS is supposed to save the world next?:dissapointed:

Looks like they removed it because it was there

Corporate did not want this out there i am assuming

i cant find it now

UPSNewbie

It does look like from that cleared up photo that the dog is about to lunge

The picture they have now shows that the dog IS in lunge toward the driver.

I have two dogs: a golden retriever and a yellow lab. If I have to sign for a delivery, I get them to back away from the door, squeeze through the door, and shut it. If they're outside when my driver comes, I wrangle them in the house before the lab sees him, since he can jump the fence....

backinbrown

respect my authority
AHHH in lunge or cowering when driver turned around

dog could have been abused and crouched out of fear dont hit me brown dude i just want to say hi

probobly not but i wasnt there

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
AHHH in lunge or cowering when driver turned around

REally? Run up behind the driver, then cower?

Boy, love really does blind perspective.

Dogs when afraid dont run up behind someone like that unless they are in the mood to bite and run.

Kudos to UPS for standing up to this action by the owner. All they want is a payday on their pets injuries.

But had the driver been bitten, this would never have made the news, and the home owner would be trying to spin his way out of being liable for medical bills etc.

d

backinbrown

respect my authority
REally? Run up behind the driver, then cower?

Boy, love really does blind perspective.

Dogs when afraid dont run up behind someone like that unless they are in the mood to bite and run.

Kudos to UPS for standing up to this action by the owner. All they want is a payday on their pets injuries.

But had the driver been bitten, this would never have made the news, and the home owner would be trying to spin his way out of being liable for medical bills etc.

d

No not blind i made the mistake of trying to lighten up a bit after the rants i posted earlier about people saying they would kill the dog.

I still say we have to protect ourselves but why kill i would have swung my diad also.

I would have felt like crap but if needed it is needed.

but im not going to try to kill it

ol'browneye

From another thread:

A fellow driver delivered to a house where a german shephard always gave him trouble. One day he pulled up and the dog was nowhere to be found so he went on up to the front porch. As he knocked on the door the dog came racing around the side of the house and was coming after him on the front porch. The people weren't home and with no place to go he grabbed a piece of firewood for self defense. As the dog attacked him he wacked it on the head with the firewood and killed it! He didn't know what to do so he stuck it in a DR bag and threw it in the back of the truck. Later he tossed it in a creek! Next time he delivered to that house he asked about the dog. They said "We don't know what happened to him, he just disappeared!"

LLTailor

If I were to go with a driver and end up at a property with vicious looking dogs, I'd probably place the package outside of the fence/property and report back to the driver that it has been delivered. Would you get workers comp or get fired/laid off for sustaining injury by animals?

rod

Retired 22 years
Talk to my brother-in-law about dogs that "won't bite". I told him a dozen times that someday his standard poodle was going to nail someone and he would regret it. He just laughed and said "oh he just likes to bark- he won't bite". Fluffy ended up biting a 4 year old girl in the face and the last I heard it has cost his insurance company over $10,000. Never trust any dog.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
do you own a dog

if so lets say the one time your dog wasnt tied because i am sure you are going to say your dog would be tied, lets say it wasn't

how would you feel if you came home and found out i killed your dog

would you say dog desearved it or would you be pissed off because i probly could have done something other than kill your dog.
No I dont own a dog but they dont bother me. BUT........ if I was gonna be attacked ........ theres only gonna be one of us walking away and one of us thats not:devil3: