UPS Driver Tom Camp Sets Company Record Of 51 Years Without An Accident

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Michigan Driver Has Safely Delivered 5 Million Packages

UPS service provider Tom Camp has achieved what no other UPS driver ever has — 51 years behind the wheel without an accident.

The 73 year-old Camp, who began his career with UPS in 1962 delivering in suburban Detroit, credits his training and a healthy dose of caution for his remarkable record. "You need to assume other drivers are not as aware as you are," said Camp. "If you assume the other guy is daydreaming, that's a good first step."

A U.S. Marine Corps veteran, Camp began delivering when roads were less congested and drivers less distracted. "Traffic has doubled since I started with Big Brown," says Camp. "I can't count how many times I've seen folks do crazy things behind the wheel - reading the paper or doing their make-up. Cell phones are a part of it, too, but it's more than just that." According to the Department of Transportation, in 2011, 387,000 people were injured and 3,331 were killed in crashes involving a distracted driver.

"Tom's accomplishment is remarkable and serves as an inspiration to all UPSers," said John McDevitt, UPS senior vice president of human resources and labor relations. "On behalf of UPS, I thank Tom for taking such good care of our customers and others on the road." In recognition of his achievement, Camp was honored by the company and his local co-workers in a ceremony in Livonia.

"Tom Camp's 50-plus years of safe driving at UPS is an astonishing feat, and a testament to the impact of driver education programs," says Bill Graves, President and CEO of American Trucking Associations. "Smart decision making on the road reduces the rate of accidents and keeps both pedestrians and other drivers safe. We should all emulate Tom's recognition of safe driving principles, which start with being aware, cognizant and focused at all times behind the wheel."

UPS spends $118 million annually on safety training, and currently has 6,486 drivers who have 25 years or more without an accident. Drivers reaching that mark are inducted into the company's "Circle of Honor."

The company's previous safe driving leader, Ron Sowder of Dayton, Ohio, had 50 accident-free years upon his retirement in 2012. Sowder and Camp are the only two drivers who've earned the distinction of wearing the number "50" on their Circle of Honor uniform patch and having their vehicle specially marked.

At 73, Camp is not pondering retirement any time soon. "I enjoy my job and my customers," he says. "As long as I can do it well, I'll keep going."

Photos and video of Camp on the job can be found at http://upsprmedia.com/Camp.zip

dragracer66

Really WHY???? UPS is all happy about his record until god forbid he has a spell and jacks his set and kills an innocent family or families. There should be a limit on how long somebody can drive a tractor trailer. Retire dude enjoy life and give a junior guy a chance!

InsideUPS

dragracer66... You imply that youth has superior driving skills over a senior driver. If I could only tell you how many young "runners" in our centers have lost their jobs over accidents....

I say congrats to this driver....