UPS Driver Used "Terrorist" As Name Signed For Package

worldwide

If the person who signed the DIAD refuses to tell you what their last name is after you ask them, why not simply enter "customer refused to give last name"? This way, you are covered. I would not assume that the name on the box is the name of the person signing, not would I guess what the signature is. It is the vast minority of customers that will not tell you their last name if you simply ask for a clarification of the signature. I'm not sure how many characters the clarification field can hold but something shorter like "would not give name" or "refused to say" something to that effect may work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If the person who signed the DIAD refuses to tell you what their last name is after you ask them, why not simply enter "customer refused to give last name"? This way, you are covered. I would not assume that the name on the box is the name of the person signing, not would I guess what the signature is. It is the vast minority of customers that will not tell you their last name if you simply ask for a clarification of the signature. I'm not sure how many characters the clarification field can hold but something shorter like "would not give name" or "refused to say" something to that effect may work.

I just look at the name on the box and type that in. Half the time you can't read what they write anyways.

DING, DING, DING--We have a winner!

Big Babooba

Every so often you read about somebody who changes their name to a number or a symbol(Prince). I know that there are no symbols, but what if the kook changed his name to 3? The DIAD won't take numbers. Would UPS pay a claim on a bad signature clarification if he were to argue that his name is 3 and not Three?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND

To the contrary.

UPS pays its employees to deliver the package. If a signature is required because of what ever reason, that signature is proof of delivery. That identifies that person signed for the packages and got the packages you say you delivered.

If you do not enter the information correctly, there is no way UPS can prove delivery or who actually signed for it.

Then the shadow of doubt falls on the driver.

Say it was controlled drugs or something that is highly desirable. You say and show you delivered it, but when UPS follows up on it, you have some sort of crap in the signature clarification column? Who do you think they will start looking at as a thief?

Let me rephrase the statement I made above.

If a customer refuses to sign their legit name to the diad and refuses to give you their real name, you are not to complete the delivery. The proper identification of the receiver is just as important as making the proper delivery to the proper address.

Anything less is going to come back to bite you.

Bring the packages back. Let your center team handle the people. After a couple of times not getting their drugs or other stuff, they will get wise and give you what they want.

d

diesel96

outa

I took it one step further with a smart guy. I loaded his stereo equipment back in the truck and left. I think he got the point when he called in to complain and the sup backed my move. Never had problems from him ever again.

There are a lot of crude things people sign as well, thinking they are being cute.

d

Signature required......Don't be shy, ask to clarify their last name loud and clear, at this crucial point, it's not a game, just business. Get a legit signature even if the need ask's for a drivers licsense. Ask any driver who's been burned. I love fun-n-games as much as the next guy, just after I complete the delivery. Don't give LP the opportunity to hand you a driver follow up and say " here ya go, retrieve this pkg from Mickey Mouse."

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have been quoted out of context by both Professor Dannyboy and Big Daddy Diesel. I never said that it was acceptable to clarify a signature with anything other than the person's last name. My response was to Johney would said to simply take the last name off of the pkg and use that to clarify the signature as a portion of the signatures that we receive are illegible.

upsdude

…………….or just pickup the package and walk out the door. Once you’re back in the package car scan the package as REFUSED, leave the area and call your supervisor.

I did just that a few years ago, little John Hancock never gave me any trouble after his let me show my arse routine.

Just a note on “Forgery” accusations. Laws vary from state to state, but. Generally the state would need to prove there was intent to commit a crime or defraud another to get a Forgery conviction. Playing around with the delivery guy won’t get a conviction.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Taking the name off the package is fine if that is who is signing for the package. If not, then you are not completing your delivery in an acceptable method.

Which brings us back to the original theme I posted.

You put down the guys name that appears on the box. UPS traces the package, and notifies the customer that sorry, you did sign for the package. Customer replies that he could not have signed for the package, he was in a meeting all day long.

Now, you put down that the customer signed for the package. The customer said he did not, and has a whole room full of people that will testify that he was there, not signing for the package.

Where does that leave the UPS driver? Well for starters, a meeting or two with the LP guy. And then we have a little issue of the driver falsifying the delivery record and not following proper methods.

You really want that?

Respectfully

Professor d

DS

Fenderbender
Come on guys,don't you ever get the just off the boat immigrants that can't speak a word of English? They are ok signing the diad,but the clarification part is like taking to a tree.What am I gonna do,grab the pkg back,slap an info notice on the ladys forehead,scan it and hit NI1?,I just type in nospeakadaenglish and move on.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Thats when you let them clarify their own signature. Really DS, you been around how long?:wink2:

Once you get burned for going up and beyond to make a delivery, you learn fairly quickly. And when you see the same pattern as a steward.......

So carry on with however you been doin it. But dont come posting back about why you have been suspended pending an investigation on dishonesty/falsification of records/what ever the LP guy feels like throwing into the mix.

d

Johney

Taking the name off the package is fine if that is who is signing for the package. If not, then you are not completing your delivery in an acceptable method.

Which brings us back to the original theme I posted.

You put down the guys name that appears on the box. UPS traces the package, and notifies the customer that sorry, you did sign for the package. Customer replies that he could not have signed for the package, he was in a meeting all day long.

Now, you put down that the customer signed for the package. The customer said he did not, and has a whole room full of people that will testify that he was there, not signing for the package.

Where does that leave the UPS driver? Well for starters, a meeting or two with the LP guy. And then we have a little issue of the driver falsifying the delivery record and not following proper methods.

You really want that?

Respectfully

Professor d
LP guy to Driver:Mr Smith said he was at a meeting all day how could he sign for this package?

Driver: Don't know but that's what the signer told me their last name was.

End of problem.
Now if this happened on a daily basis with the same driver then yes there could be a problem. In over 20 years I've only seen a handful of signature denial's on follow-ups and none were mine.

Let me explain what I really mean by looking at the name on the package. I do this for the spelling of someone's last name. Of course if they sign Smith and the box says Jones I don't clarify it with Jones.

diesel96

I have been quoted out of context by both Professor Dannyboy and Big Daddy Diesel. I never said that it was acceptable to clarify a signature with anything other than the person's last name. My response was to Johney would said to simply take the last name off of the pkg and use that to clarify the signature as a portion of the signatures that we receive are illegible.

Nah, i'm just using your post " DING, DING, DING--We have a winner!" as a barometer to Dannyboy's post # 453465....I was just to lazy to post my own comment, so I used yours....my copy right infringement apologizes...

BigBrownSanta

I usually reserve my "legal signature method" for those deliveries where I have had a negative driver follow up.

I once had a delivery to a house where the front door was open. I rang the doorbell and knocked as a courtesy was going to hand the package to the recipient. No one would come to the door. I looked in and could see someone at the other end of the house, but they wouldn't come to the door. I set the package down and sheeted as MCW.

A couple of weeks later I get a DFU for that address. On the 3rd attempt to work the DFU, a man answers the door. I explain why I am there, and the guy starts laughing. He says he didn't receive the package and that no women live at that address. He tells me I can't prove I delivered the package. No problem, I say, just sign here stating you didn't recieve the package. He signs, all the while still laughing.

A couple of months later, he gets a package. Supposedly, a negative DFU is supposed to flag the delivery address as signature only. It didn't, so I require a signature before I will deliver the package. On the 3rd attempt, he's home.

I tell him I need a signature. He scribbles on the DIAD. I erase his scribble and tell him he needs to sign again, but this time it needs to be legible. His facial expression changes and I can tell he's kinda starting to get angry. He signs. I ask him to spell his last name. He glares at me but he spells his last name. I then ask to see his drivers license to verify he is actually the name that he has just signed. This time his eyes bulge out and he is obviously very angry, but he shows me his DL. I hand him the package, say thank you and walk back to the truck. He hasn't had another delivery since then.

I can usually get a laugh out of just about anything and I like to play "fun and games" just like everyone else, but there are times where I am dead serious about my job. A negative DFU is one of them.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Don't know but that's what the signer told me their last name was.
That is fine and dandy. But not what was under discussion.

You have to use common sense. Big showed one of those times.

There were too many bogus postings on the cavalier way many handle signatures. Adn that is fine and dandy until it lands you in trouble.

For those you cant read, or they will not tell you who they are, bring em back. Rather safe than sorry.

And when it doubt, you do have the right to ask for ID.

d

I had a denial of sig on an indirect once. The DFU said the consignee went to pick up package from the neighbor and they told him they didn't know about any package. When I went back to talk to the person that signed for the package, they looked my in the eye and said they never signed for the package. THe only thing that saved me on that one was the day of the delivery there was a sup doing a methods ride with me, he remembered the stop. Then when LP went to talk to the neighbor that signed for the package they changed their story to say they had given the package to the consignee the day of the delivery. I never heard what finally happened on that one.

Channahon

Anyone who deals with the public should be concerned with lawsuits, and this is a prime example, of how the employee, and UPS can be sued over this incident.

The media got ahold of the story, by guess who, the consignee or his lawyer.

Now think about the charges: racial discrimnation, emotional distress, pain and suffering, lost of wages (too sick to over this situation to go to work) defamation of character.

Not a good situation for anyone, and UPS did send a public apology.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Yup, and guess what? The public appology was not enough. It seems like they too have racial activists that want to ride this dog and pony show into the ground. They want to make a lot more of this than it really is.

That figures.

Take something done that was very stupid, and now look where it has gone.

d