UPS Driver vs Military Career

iDontWorkAtUps

Right now im 18 and working preload,(have been for about 6 months) was wondering if anyone had any experience from going to one or the other and which one you liked more. It's still a long ways until I can even be eligible to drive here, and then I'd still have to wait for spots to open up.
I was thinking about joining the Army since Im still young and could make a career out of it. Also would I be able to come back to Ups after leaving/retiring from the military?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
If you enlist you can come back and get rehired at no loss of seniority. If you are serious about a career in the military i would strongly suggest entering a College ROTC program or getting a degree and then talking to a recruiter about going to OCS upon completion of basic.
The pay for the enlisted grades is very poor,and with a shrinking army not much room for advancement

Right now im 18 and working preload,(have been for about 6 months) was wondering if anyone had any experience from going to one or the other and which one you liked more. It's still a long ways until I can even be eligible to drive here, and then I'd still have to wait for spots to open up.
I was thinking about joining the Army since Im still young and could make a career out of it. Also would I be able to come back to Ups after leaving/retiring from the military?
Maybe start out with the reserves?

10 point

At 18 I'd join the armed forces and let them pay for your college too.
Get out of this hole. Have a life.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've done both, I like UPS better but people are different. Lotsa different jobs in the military as well so factor that in, working at the motor pool is a lot different than being in the infantry for instance.

Bottom rung

Head to the corps, keep your seniority. Be a grunt, get respect. Come back with some good ink and better stories. The years you work under 21 don't count towards your pension anyways. Tell your steward that you're going to enlist and have them help you with getting all that stuff squared away.
If you don't like the military, you aren't out a possibility good career at ups. You'll have college money from the gov and use the money from ups as well to go to school.

Box Ox

What BR said. If military looks good to you, go for it. Don't pass it up to do nothing but preload at UPS until you're 21. And enjoy that accumulated seniority if you come back.

Gear

Parts on Order
Join the military, get some life experience. You'll love it and hate. If and when you leave, you'll miss it. You'll meet different people, see different places and do alot of cool :censored2:. A 4 year active duty enlistment will fly by. Ask yourself this, "Do I really want to work in this building for the rest of my life?". UPS will be here when you get back. I wouldnt give up my years in the military for more time with UPS or any other company. Enjoy your youth and live. Worry about a career when your 24.

trickpony1

If you join the military try to get a MOS that is applicable in the civilian world.

The last time I checked the "help wanted" ads there weren't any employers seeking 105mm howitzer operators.

Retiree

If you choose the military, whatever you do don't resign from UPS. Go on military leave and when you get out you can come back with no loss of seniority or pay. If you want to.

trickpony1

...and if you are a union member paying union dues be sure to get a withdrawal card so you don't have to pay initiation fees and back dues when you return to UPS.

clean hairy

There was a guy did his time in the Military, but could not get a job after his enlistment ended. His rank was drill Sergeant when he left the Military.
A job placement person found the problem with the description of job description with his previous employer.
"screaming at people, calling them names and treating them like they are sewage" was not getting any employers interested!

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
There was a guy did his time in the Military, but could not get a job after his enlistment ended. His rank was drill Sergeant when he left the Military.
A job placement person found the problem with the description of job description with his previous employer.
"screaming at people, calling them names and treating them like they are sewage" was not getting any employers interested!
i think he is now my manager

iDontWorkAtUps

join air force.
i met a pilot at rockford that flew the B1 bomber.
put that on your resume
Was planning on going into army with an Option 40 contract which would send me from Boot Camp to Airborne School, then a CHANCE to join(tryout) the 75th Ranger Reg. Airforce is too much school for me.. Why I didnt go to college yet.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
You will either love or hate the military.........

I lost what could have been the best 4 years of my life.
Imagine you and all your peers are on a moving sidewalk (like at the airport), you step off, but no one else does. You can never get those years back.

Should have gone to college, instead of Vietnam.

AllOnTheHorses

A few weeks ago our postman was telling me that he was able to use his military time towards his seniority with USPS. So as a new postal employee he already had years of seniority. Something to keep in mind too. Good luck with your decision.
Coast Guard has quite a bit of crossover for civilian job hunting I would think.