UPS Driver vs Military Career

Overpaid Union Thug

Maybe not "the" toughest but no doubt near top of the list.
Many in the specops "community" agree. Their physical standards mirror that of their specops counterparts. And their pipeline training includes the same training. Their washout rates are just as ridiculous as the others. I've seen it. They aren't just overtrained medics. They are God's. They have the highest respect from the Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines they work with.

Holydriver

Right now im 18 and working preload,(have been for about 6 months) was wondering if anyone had any experience from going to one or the other and which one you liked more. It's still a long ways until I can even be eligible to drive here, and then I'd still have to wait for spots to open up.
I was thinking about joining the Army since Im still young and could make a career out of it. Also would I be able to come back to Ups after leaving/retiring from the military?
let me tell you , young blood. i spent a lot of time in the army. a lot of that time was spent in afghanistan. i served it there along side all other services too, but they did at most half of the time deployed as we did. and when i was in army training, we had air force on the base too. but they got paid money to live in army barrakcs because they werent up to air force standards. be smart. screw UPS. join the air force. do your 4 years and if you dont like it get out. UPS will still be here. being a veteran will do more for you than UPS will in 20 life times. plus you'll have the GI bill for free school and all that other stuff.

oldngray

nowhere special
Many in the specops "community" agree. Their physical standards mirror that of their specops counterparts. And their pipeline training includes the same training. Their washout rates are just as ridiculous as the others. I've seen it. They aren't just overtrained medics. They are God's. They have the highest respect from the Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines they work with.

Physically it is probably as tough as Seal training with the additional medical training.

L

Little Brownie Girl

let me tell you , young blood. i spent a lot of time in the army. a lot of that time was spent in afghanistan. i served it there along side all other services too, but they did at most half of the time deployed as we did. and when i was in army training, we had air force on the base too. but they got paid money to live in army barrakcs because they werent up to air force standards. be smart. screw UPS. join the air force. do your 4 years and if you dont like it get out. UPS will still be here. being a veteran will do more for you than UPS will in 20 life times. plus you'll have the GI bill for free school and all that other stuff.
The air force has been a great opportunity especially if you are stationed near Vandenburg CA . My son was a Seal and he went right into law enfrcement and then medicine with his veterans college benefits. Listen to the wisdom of the greybacks! lol

Holydriver

Was planning on going into army with an Option 40 contract which would send me from Boot Camp to Airborne School, then a CHANCE to join(tryout) the 75th Ranger Reg. Airforce is too much school for me.. Why I didnt go to college yet.
dumb idea. let the military pay you to learn a job, give you 4 years of experience in that job, and then pay you to go to college to earn even more money in that career field. then you ETS and walk into a fine career field, far superior to your peers, and live a good life. dont let the cool video games like call of duty make you think that being a grunt is cool. its not fun air borne jumping into a field, then walking 15 miles to camp out for a few weeks, and then walk the 25 miles back to your barracks.

Holydriver

The air force has been a great opportunity especially if you are stationed near Vandenburg CA . My son was a Seal and he went right into law enfrcement and then medicine with his veterans college benefits. Listen to the wisdom of the greybacks! lol
you mean the navy i assume....

10 point

There was a guy did his time in the Military, but could not get a job after his enlistment ended. His rank was drill Sergeant when he left the Military.
A job placement person found the problem with the description of job description with his previous employer.
"screaming at people, calling them names and treating them like they are sewage" was not getting any employers interested!
I saw one management person retire recently with a Masters degree in those "qualifications".

Don't try that as hourly. Only management gets away with that abuse and retires unscathed.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
You volunteered to go to Vietnam? You could actually "step off"?
When I graduated just being in college kept you out of the pool and I was in college when I was 17.

The stories my friends brothers told about being there would've messed my mind up had it been me.

I joined the week I turned 18; 2 weeks after high school I was in basic training. When I turned 19, I was on my way to Vietnam. My draft lottery # was so high that one of our recent presidents would have sold his mother into white slavery just to secure that number.

trickpony1

I would suggest the OP start an exercise routine now to include weight training and extended running/jogging to improve his chances of qualifying the physical training that "washes out" a lot of recruits.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My son worked PT as a loader while in high school and a short time afterward. He went into the navy, did his stint and went back to work at UPS. They didn't pay him the correct pay rate for a while. (You get the raises just like you were still working there.) Got it all lined out, now the GI bill is paying for his college education. He also took a lot of courses while in the military that he could apply toward a degree as well.

oldngray

nowhere special
My son worked PT as a loader while in high school and a short time afterward. He went into the navy, did his stint and went back to work at UPS. They didn't pay him the correct pay rate for a while. (You get the raises just like you were still working there.) Got it all lined out, now the GI bill is paying for his college education. He also took a lot of courses while in the military that he could apply toward a degree as well.

Navy and Air Force have the best schools.

10 point

I joined the week I turned 18; 2 weeks after high school I was in basic training. When I turned 19, I was on my way to Vietnam. My draft lottery # was so high that one of our recent presidents would have sold his mother into white slavery just to secure that number.
Nam. The testing place of dirty toys.
Some will rot in Hell for the things done there.

oldngray

nowhere special
I would suggest the OP start an exercise routine now to include weight training and extended running/jogging to improve his chances of qualifying the physical training that "washes out" a lot of recruits.

Most important is to start running. He can work on weight training too but running takes longer and improves your overall fitness more. Plus he will be running everywhere in training.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....

For me, the physical part was a cakewalk ......,
but they did like to mess with your mind.

10 point

Disagree all you want. My friends were there. They don't lie. We tested chemicals and weaponry and the VC buried our guys up to their necks, put barrels over their heads and dropped rats into them.

There's a price to pay for those atrocities.