UPS Drivers Awarded for Driving Like Grandma

Re-Raise

Congrats to him.

I wonder how many miles he drives in a day?

My impression of delivering in Manhattan is go about 4 blocks. Park in front of one building and deliver there all day until you get done. Then drive 4 blocks back to the building. If this is the case, how fast you drive makes very little difference in your day.

In my center a lot of the routes go out with over 200 miles.

Not trying to take anything away from him, the traffic in Manhattan is crazy. I was on a tour bus there a few years ago, and we hit 2 taxis during the tour. Just a little rubbing and both continued on.

ManInBrown

Poor guy must get called into the office every day for being OA. You can almost see the look on the Supe or center manager's face that hands him the award. Utter disdain

ManInBrown

Sadly, mine too. But I thought you could not be terminated for production?

You can't. But if they don't like your production they'll watch you like a hawk waiting for you to screw something else up. Thats why it's Methods Methods Methods all day every day. Then they got nothing, and won't find nothing.

Never ever look for a shortcut. We're paid to do the job the correct way all day every day

Mr Shifter

Congrats to him.

I wonder how many miles he drives in a day?

My impression of delivering in Manhattan is go about 4 blocks. Park in front of one building and deliver there all day until you get done. Then drive 4 blocks back to the building.

With all the cameras around and UPS no doubt making sure his truck is washed they let him leave with a quarter tank of gas. Him running out must definitely not be an issue. Haha

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Great story and the funny part about it is, they know they cant touch him on anything because he probably does everything by the book. Good for him.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
They would have sent him home In my building for being" out of uniform". Was told no shirt could be shown below my ups shirt sleeve. Not even joking. Sad I know.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Sadly, mine too. But I thought you could not be terminated for production?

They would make paper mache out of that guy with pink slips. There is NO way they would ever allow someone to run that slow. That old dude probably runs 1 block of deliveries and then drives in.

While, I respect his service, I hardly doubt he is the "model" driver for the country. If I drove that slow, I'd be out 24 hours getting my route done when i am in package.

I was back from feeder this week, and I was 2 hours in the hole in 104 degree weather, and the center manager asked "was it hard out there coming back from feeder?"

I said "NO, I just worked safely.

Then i started recieving messages the next day telling me my numbers were not good.

I just laughed.

TOS.

DoctorMario

This is a great story. Lets me know if this old man can do it anyone can, so long as you're determined to do so.

Sent using BrownCafe App

SeaDrvr51

Changing Career
I could be this guy in the future but want to believe that I would be more energetic. Please see my question below...

I am a 51 male, in excellent physical condition and may be hired as a PT Air Driver. Currently, I am working as a Seasonal Air Driver and really like the job. I have no plans to return to my previous career in print production and hope to become a FT Driver in 2015. I am aware that most drivers are retiring at my age but I feel that I am capable of handling this job for another 10-15 years, maybe 20. Are there any middle age drivers out there just starting out? Do you think I have a chance of going the distance to receive a pension?

Last edited:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
This guy is untouchable !!! He does it by the methods and the contract has age language to protect him !!
If he was fired for anything but stealing,how would that look in the national media !Great job sir ,, you are a UPS Legend !!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I could be this guy in the future but want to believe that I would be more energetic. Please see my question below...

I am a 51 male, in excellent physical condition and may be hired as a PT Air Driver. Currently, I am working as a Seasonal Air Driver and really like the job. I have no plans to return to my previous career in print production and hope to become a FT Driver in 2015. I am aware that most drivers are retiring at my age but I feel that I am capable of handling this job for another 10-15 years, maybe 20. Are there any middle age drivers out there just starting out? Do you think I have a chance of going the distance to receive a pension?

With all due respect.....no.

SeaDrvr51

Changing Career
Are you saying no to the pension part. I realize that a pension is out of the question, it doesn't bother me because the job still pays well. If I were to go back to my profession, I would still make less money and no pension. I'm going to stick it out. Perhaps later I can bid on a less demanding job at UPS when I'm in my 60's.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Where I work you have to put in 30 years and be at least 55 to receive a full pension. You are 51----you would have to work until you are 81. You are vested after 5 years and will receive a monthly check when you turn 65 but it will be a mere pittance.

If you do decide to work here max out your 401k, put in 10-15 years and live off of your SS, pension and 401k.

SeaDrvr51

Changing Career
Wow, I didn't know it was 30 years. Since I am only a seasonal driver, HR hasn't explained anything to me about a pension. I'm not expecting anything and I do plan to max out my 401k. Thanks, I really appreciate your input.

Sent using BrownCafe App