UPS Drivers Describe Unsafe Culture of Fear

DOK

Have never seen anything like that in my years. Especially nowadays with "safety" being on the forefront. I can see it happening though getting the wrong person in charge.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
More crying than a Cankles Clinton rally...

200.gif

Holydriver

It must be everyday when leaving the building I follow another PC and notice his brake lights don't work. When checking during the pre trip the lights work cuz we force the pedal down but while driving only a little pressure is used to slow the vehicle. Ive been thinking how dangerous this is, especially where I live where everyone is in a hurry home and tailgate constantly.

It seems like everything these guys are saying is commonplace at UPS, we all deal with it, they just found a way to outnit into words and on paper.

Faceplanted

Reasons like this is why every employee needs to grieve every instance of harassment and retaliation. You never know when it might come in handy after tons of people from your hub are tired of it and get attorneys involved

I'm not gonna lie the retaliation used to scare me from filing greviences. now I'm a bit older and smarter. all that any perceived retaliation gets my management team is more greviences. My paper trail is already as long as i95.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I have seen most of these complaints over the years. however it was never pervasive. the armed guard thing we never saw.

some of the complaints sound like very isolated cases. perhaps one instance from a bad supe. maybe they were trying to "pad" their case. maybe this will stop all the short cuts they try to take.

I spoke to the DOT at the scales several years ago and they said they used to cut UPS a lot of slack by not doing as many inspections and such but he said they don't that anymore as UPS started taking advantage of it.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
No amount of intimidation will ever make me speed up a pre-trip. You have to know what is covered in DOT pre-trip. I usually get the guideline book, called the Green Book. It has all DOT regulations. Know the DOT required items, and stand your ground. If someone tries rushing you, just ask them, "Which part of the Federal DOT pre-trip are you instructing me to skip?" It will be the last you hear of them rushing your during a pre-trip, or, for that matter, instructions to drive when some kind of equipment is broke.

This kind of stuff never gets past the first time it happens, if ever. Our suits know better. Our problem, is we have an ever growing number of feeder drivers who just don't concern themselves with proper pre-trips, because they are in such a hurry. And not because management pushes them...they only do it out of sheer stupidity.

oldupsman

The people filing this lawsuit better be able to document all of these charges. If you have 34 people who can
testify and prove all these charges are true, UPS has a big problem. But how much is talk and how much is walk.